It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

kristinita9 HB User
Is Oxycodone - same as Oxycontin?

It may seem like a silly question to some but I really don't know. I take 5mg oxycodone for pain, and hear the horror stories about oxycontin; and wondering if it's the same thing?

Last edited by kristinita9; 01-21-2004 at 07:24 AM.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:41 AM   #2

REC73 HB User
Re: Is Oxycodone - same as Oxycontin?

Hi Kristinita

What kinda horror stories are you hearing about oxycontin? I've been using it now for almost 2mo. and it's a god send to me. My PM doc did have me on percocet 10mg. every 4-6 hrs. but i was having to take it on a daily basis for a long period of time so that's why he decided to switch me over to oxycontin 20mg. 3x's a day because it's time released and lasts longer than a short acting med. I think alot of the horror stories people hear are about people abusing it by licking off the time release coating or crushing it to bypass it. But for those of us that truely need it to have a halfway productive life it is anything but scarey.

Oxycontin is oxycodone but it's a long acting med. and it's phamacuetical company says it last for 12 hrs. but that's not been my experience as many will tell you. The oxycodone you are taking is probably percocet, roxicet,endocet ( there are many other names) or your bottle may just say oxycodone with the mg. and acetominophen and it's mg. Usually with the short acting oxycodone's there's acetaminophen with it and they only last 4-6 hrs or less. Oxycontin is oxycodone with no acetaminophen in it and it's time released to last 8-12hrs.

There is also oxyIR or oxyfast that's oxycodone but without the acetaminophen in it and they are both short acting meds. lasting 4-6hrs or less.

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User

You should know what you're taking before you take it. You are taking the exact same thing as oxycontin is made from, oxycodone. You are just taking a lower dose. You have heard the "horror stories" the media has been feeding the mindless masses. If the media would take a second to stop and analyse the effects of what they do for just two seconds, they would know how much damage they are causing to the pain management proffession and the people whom rely on its advances. No offense, but uninformed people like yourself are exactly the people the media hopes to manipulate. I'm just assuming here, but i'm 99% sure the "horror stories" you've heard, are not actually coming from people you know, or you're friends or family know, or even you're friend's friend's; the so-called horror stories you heard have been fed to you on a silver platter straight from the media. And what makes this post even more rediculous is the fact that this terrified poster, scared to death of oxycontin and its "horrors" is on oxycodone themselves, and all this time didn't even know the media was referring to the exact med he is so afraid of, the whole time. What a riot (Sorry if i came out a little strong, but any cp'er here would know why)

Last edited by wirry1422; 01-21-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #4

Cloie HB User

For those of us in real pain, oxycodone/oxycontin and any other morphine derivative is a god-send. I know I couldn't bear this horrible pain without it. Without it I would be racked with so much pain, I'd be virtually a vegetable, unable to move or think.
However, it is a controlled substance because it has high potential of being abused, especially for those who have addictive genetics. Some people have a genetic predisposition to becoming addicted and acclimated to each dose, having to raise the dosage regularly to get the same pain-relieving effect (like alcoholism). Each person differs in how much of the drug they need to alleviate pain. However, addicts are those who quickly become acclimated to each dose and have to raise the dose. They also will crave the drug and feel they need more and more to feel good/normal, even when not in pain.
I (fortunately) don't become addicted. I take the same dosage day after day, week after week. I can easily stop taking it when not in pain and not feel craving to have it all the time. In fact, when I'm not in pain, I'm glad to get off the stuff as it makes me sleepy and tired all the time. I'd rather feel alert. An addict on other hand, feels much better on it and wants to be on it all the time.
Only you know if you have an addictive tendency...I don't like the term addictive personality as it has more to do with genetics than personality. If you have a tendency to become addicted to drugs and acclimated, then you'd be better off with a non-addictive pain med or a strong NSAID. There are new drugs out that supposedly have the same pain alleviating capabilities as the morphine derivatives without the addictive quality, such as Ultram. Hope this is helpful. Cloie

Old 01-22-2004, 07:55 PM   #5

REC73 HB User

Cloie.........if someone is on a narcotic for an extended period of time and their body becomes accustomed to the mg. that person has been taking and they no longer find addequete pain relief that doesn't mean they are addicted. They would be physically dependent on it, which happens to everyone if they have been on a narcotic for a great deal of time.

How long have you been on oxycontin and what are the mg? You made it sound as if you take it for a while and then you don't need it for a while so you stop taking it or maybe i just misurnderstood you. I don't know of many PM docs that put their patients on oxycontin unless they know they are going to need to be on it for quite some time if not permanantly. I would think he would give you some kind of oxy prep like percocet and such if you only need it periodically.

I've been on some sort of narcotic for all of my back probs. for well over a year now from ultram ( which isn't an actual narcotic but it mimics one and if taken for an extended period of time can cause physical dependence also) to darvocet, vicoden, percocet, and now MSIR and oxycontin. If by the grace of god my back pain was taken away and i stopped my meds. i would physically withdraw but that doesn't mean i'm addicted it means my body is physically dependant. Meds. would need to be tapered slowly. I would be addicted if my back no longer hurt but i took the meds. anyway even though i didn't need them anymore.

If i misunderstood you i apologize but i didn't want anyone thinking that if they take a narcotic for an extended amount of time and somewhere down the road they needed to have their dosage adjusted upward to get adequete pain relief i don't want them to think that that meant they are addicted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REC73 For This Useful Post:
jroseliver (09-19-2012), mgm55 (02-18-2011)
Old 01-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User

Rec73, Well said!
I have been on pain meds for over a year now. I started taking vicodin 5 mg for about six months. Then I had to switch over to Lortab at 7 months as the vicodin wasn't managing my pain as well. Because my liver enzymes went up I again had to switch over to roxicodone 5 mg. I was put on duragesic 25 mg pain patch last June at 10 months. Then in Nov at 15 months, the dr. increased it up to 50mcg patch since I was taking up to 6 Norco per day with the 25 patch and not getting enough pain relief. I am finally starting to decrease down to the 25 mcg patch again since I've found accupuncture has been helping me. The dr. told me I could not go cold turkey off the 50 patch or I would have withdrawl symptoms. Having withdrawl symptoms doesn't mean I'm addicted. I'm physically dependent on the pain meds like a diabetic is dependent on insulin.

I once was labeld "hooked" by a female physical therapist because I was taking two vicodin 5 mg per day. Three dr's told me to take pain meds before physical therapy since the first time I took p.t. I wasn't able to do most of the exercises do to pain. When I started the new p.t. with the female, she told me not to take pain meds. I didn't listen to her and I told the dr. He said her job is physical therapy and not medicine and he was glad I took the pain meds anyway. She pleaded with me before the sessions to not take the pain killers so hubby said just take them and don't tell her about it. So I did and I progressed well with the exercises. The opioid-dependent patient with chronic pain has improved function with his use of the drugs and the patient with opioid addiction does not. I never could get her to see my point with her about but I don't see her anymore. I've never abused anything before and never got addicted. I've never even been drunk. :-) She said "I put myself into a chronic pain state." I don't think so. The epidural injections I had helped with the pain and spams. I mentioned something about the muscle relaxers and spasms, and her reply was "if you had muslce spasms your shoulder would be up to your ear!" The MRI clearly showed straightening of the lordotic curve indicative of intristic muscle spasms. I don't think the dr. would have put me on muscle relaxers if he didn't think I needed it. The epidural injection unfortunately didn't last more than a few months. I was taking well 'below" the prescribe dose for the pain that I have been in because she scared me making me think I was an addict. My dr's were pushing me and telling me that if I didn't take both the pain meds and muscle relaxers that I would not get better. They told me that muscle spasms can increase pain and pain can cause an increase in muscle spasms so I had to take both. I feel I have allowed myself to suffer more than I should have in the beginning because I was concerned about the amount of tylenol in the vicodin to which the first dr. told me I could take two at a time if needed.

There was one guy in there doing p.t. at the same place I was after he got hit by a truck. He had surgery on both his legs and was in so much pain. He asked another patient what they were taking for pain and she mentioned vicodin. My p.t. said "no you don't want to take that it's addicting." She wasn't even his therapist! I think she needs a course in the difference between addiction and dependence on pain meds. She told me at one time that a dr. gave her vicodin but she never took it and resorted to something else either herbal or over the counter, I can't remember. She sounds like a "tree hugger" as my hubby put it and wants things done her way only. Whenever I was in worse pain as she was massaging me she never listened to me. The boss told me I couldn't have traction as it would make me worse since I had headaches from it before. She did manual traction on me anyway and when I asked her to stop she wouldn't. I came back three days later with a headache I got from the traction and her response was "Well I had to try it!" When she did deep tissue massage in my neck I was screaming the whole time. She never listened to me and forced her rough massages on me! I had to take vicodin after being home because she put me in more pain.

Now I have a much better massage therapist who told me to boss her around because she didn't want to put me in pain and I did p.t. with a better therapist many months later. He was very gentle and told me that I shouldn't do anything that hurts me. He said if he was hurting me during the massage to let him know.

I just saw the female lousy p.t. the other day at a local store and she asked how I was doing. I told her that I keep going downhill and she gave me this look like I was lying. She then told me my kids were getting bigger and I said yes they were. I turned toward the casier and I heard her say that "I looked good". I completely ignored her and pretended I didn't hear her. I really didn't want to talk with her. Inside I was screaming remembering that she told me I was "hooked" and had no clue what I have been going through. Sorry this turned into a lot of rambling but if I had been treated more gently in the beginning I wouldn't have built up my tolerance to the vicodin so fast. With the great guy therapist I didn't ever need to take any pain pills before or after I was done because he was very gentle. I don't trust many women at all working on me or touching me. I've had bad experiences with female giving me pelvic exams and found the male dr's were much more gentle and caring. Fortunately I haven't lost all trust in females since my new massage therapist is good.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #7

Cloie HB User

You guys are right in that I should have said there is a difference between addiction and abuse. Some docs will say that physical dependence and physical addiction are same thing (different from psychological addiction). Drug "abuse" has different meaning than drug addiction,...but we are arguing semantics here. Sorry if I offended anyone. Cloie

Old 01-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #8

suzi47cmt HB User

well put all!! It is so nice to see a sensible, well informed bunch of people regarding pain medication and treatment of chronic pain.

I get so tired of people putting down those of us who must be on long term narcotics, and get accused of being "addicts", or "abusers".

Kudos to you Cloie, good for you for coming back on and clarifying yourself. You go!!

Thanks everyone. You all made my day!!

Suzi

The Following User Says Thank You to suzi47cmt For This Useful Post:
mgm55 (02-18-2011)
Old 01-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #9
(female)

chriztene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi47cmt
well put all!! It is so nice to see a sensible, well informed bunch of people regarding pain medication and treatment of chronic pain.

I get so tired of people putting down those of us who must be on long term narcotics, and get accused of being "addicts", or "abusers".

Kudos to you Cloie, good for you for coming back on and clarifying yourself. You go!!

Thanks everyone. You all made my day!!

Suzi
This is a fabulous thread! My doctor explained that there is a difference between addiction and tolerance of opiate medication. For that matter, anyone can develop a tolerance to just about any medication -- (even over the counter meds) if taken on a regular basis.

Another poster articulated this so well regarding tolerance vs. addiction. I think it was a poster named shoreline? Anyway, it is not uncommon for patients to have their dose titrated up over a period of time (devolping a tolerance). Some patients develop a tolerance quicker than others; while some patients are able to remain on the initial dose for a longer amount of time.

I hope this is not to confusing:*( Maybe someone else can explain this better than I.

Warmest Regards,

Chriztene

Old 01-26-2004, 07:58 AM   #10

REC73 HB User

j_f_2003

I'm so glad to hear that you have found an excellent PT who listens to you and has helped you with your pain.

I'm sure most of us can relate in some form or another when it comes to finding a PM doc or PT who listens to our needs and isn't afraid to help.

I'm in one of those situations right now so i know where you are coming from.

Take care and keep me informed about you

P.S. I agree with you about male GYN's seeming to be more gentle than female GYN's, at least most of the time from my experience which you would think would be the other way around since they have to have them too !

Old 01-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #11

samilam HB User

Just wanted to say that ultram IS ADDICTIVE and I have been told has worse withdrawls than that of the opiate

Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #12

Carol888 HB User

I thought Ultram was just as NSAID? Wow...the things you learn here. I am happy to have found an intellegent bunch of people who can discuss the huge beneifits of narcotics without getting looked down upon. I have been on one narcotic or another for 13 years, and I think that if I get one more do-gooder tell me that I am an addict or that if I take this herb or special diet that I will be fine, i will go postal. Thanks all!

Old 01-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #13

Cloie HB User

I think it's great that we have these boards to sound out and sound off on these issues. Doctors don't make the best sounding boards nor are they the final authority when it comes to addictive drugs...many of them have a lot of misinformation and antiquated information from pre-historic med schools.
Seems the words addict and addiction are touching off quite a reaction here. Addict definitely has a negative connotation to it that implies drug-abuser or drug-fiend. Addicted simply means (dictionary definition) physiologically dependent on a substance. Dependent also has a medical definition and a negative, connotive one. The question remains do doctors have a valid concern that any drug that causes addiction can turn anyone into a drug-addict? More simply put, can you be addicted without being an addict? Are some people immune to becoming addicted...does needing it for pain preclude "addiction"? Cloie

Closed Thread