It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User
antidepressants for nerve pain

What antidepressants have you found to be most effective for nerve pain and with the fewest side effects? What is an effective dose, and how long does it take before you notice any improvement?

Linda

Old 02-18-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User
Re: antidepressants for nerve pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawainwright
What antidepressants have you found to be most effective for nerve pain and with the fewest side effects? What is an effective dose, and how long does it take before you notice any improvement?

Linda
I currently use elavil which is an old tricylic antidepressant. Now a days it is used mainly for nerve pain and not so such for depression. I started out on 10 mg at bedtime and now take 25 mg at bedtime. When first starting elavil you will find it will make you very tired that is why it is used at bedtime. It also may take a couple of weeks to start to work. The generic name of this drug is amitriptaline, I probably spelled it wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I am also on the generic name for elavil. Started on 10 Mg then went to 25 MG at bedtime like the above poster. It is making a difference but it did take two weeks to take effect.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #4

fishnonmycray HB User

What I use for my nerve pain and antidepressant is called Amitriplyne. they come in 10-25 mg they start you out at 10 but you can go up to as much as 200mg somewhere in that range should work, where you find the right dose you will sleep like a baby again aswell as it helping with depression. Hope this helped

Old 02-18-2004, 06:24 PM   #5
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnonmycray
What I use for my nerve pain and antidepressant is called Amitriplyne. they come in 10-25 mg they start you out at 10 but you can go up to as much as 200mg somewhere in that range should work, where you find the right dose you will sleep like a baby again aswell as it helping with depression. Hope this helped
Amitriptilyne is the generic name for elavil, it is a tricyclic antidepressant mainly used for nerve pain it has been around for a while and is not used very often anymore for depression. Over the years doc's have found that a side effect of this drug is that it work's great for nerve pain and also very well for sleep that is why it is used at bedtime. You will usually start out at 10 mg and work your way up till you find a dose that works good for you, everybody is different, usually most people only need to take a low dose like 10 mg, 25 mg, 0r 50 mg a lot of people at the pain clinic I go to are taking elavil and most are on a low dose at bedtime it also can help for depression if that is a factor as well. This drug has the potential to work in 3 ways for nerve pain, sleep, and depression. You may have to give the drug 2 or 3 weeks before you notice any results for pain relief but do not give up or get discouraged it probably will take a little time, and you will definetely be very sleepy for 1 or 2 weeks maybe even less but it will go a way this is why the doc will start you at a low dose for a month atleast, to see if it works and how the side effects are going to effect you. The sleep effect of this drug will take effect immediately and you will feel groggy in the morning but this will go away after a while unless your dose is to high then your doc will lower your dose. For depression it usually takes 1 week to a month but again everybody is different, but do give all the meds you are prescribed a chance some do take a little while to work and to get your body used to the drug and the side effects most times they will go away, Also this drug is dirt cheap!!

Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

You got that right. After 3 months I have to get my prescriptions through the mail with my insurance. I asked the pharmacy how much it was if I paid myself and he said 5 dollars. I had to make him repeat it. I didn't know any prescription could be that cheap.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #7

hzz HB User

I'm on the pamelor 50 mg. I have a damaged nerve coming out of c-6 and 7, causing nerve pain and muscle tightness. Spinal fusion did little to resolve pain, though the fusion was successful. I've been on Pamelor 50 mg for about 4 months and it does seem to help with coping with pain. Also, I might add, it did not seem to add any of the dreaded side effects of anti-depressants. At this point, if I don't overdo things and work my arm too much, I can go through a day without any pain pills.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieVanH
I take Effexor 300 mgs a day, which is just about as high as you can go on that medication. I started out at 75 mgs a day, so it takes a bit of time to get you where you are comfortable. I also take 25 mgs of Pamelor at night, which really helps me sleep. Good luck!
What kind of side effects have you noticed with the Effexor? Any weight gain? How soon did you notice that it was helping?

Closed Thread