It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #1
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User
Oxycontin and Generic's

Hi, I am just wondering about the OxySR, I think Shoreline you posted and said that it would be hopefully back on the market soon, did you mean that it was on the market or did I just misunderstand you? Also when did Oxycontin come out was it 1995 or 1996? and is it a 10 year patent before other companies can start producing generic version's that are much cheaper? I live in Canada and I only pay 25%, but my prescription still cost's me right around 60$ a month for 40mg tid of Oxycontin, I know I should not complain cause I am sure there are people that do pay the full amount, but still it would be nice to have a cheap generic out!! Can anyone answere some of these questions?
I do realize that the maker's of Oxycontin (Purdue Pharma) I think anyway, or any other brand name drug that is new on the market makes it's money in the first 10 years because they have a patent for that long, before other companies can start making much cheaper generics, am I right?

Old 03-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Oxycontin and Generic's

OxySR was on the market several years ago and Purdue had it succesfully removed with a two fold attack, First saying it was too close to their product and infringed on their patent rights , and secondly by saying it wasn't close enough to be called a generic equivelant. They were allowed to have their cake and eat it too. Recently Purdues patent was succesfully overturned. I'll due some digging and find who will be making it and hopefully a release date. BRB, Shore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Shawn, Endo has it on hold pending more litigation, , they also have a generic version of Duragesic coming out and a new Sufentanyl patch coming out along with several other long acting meds in clinical trials.
Here is a link to their product development page.
[url]http://www.endo.com/healthcare/prod_dev.html[/url]

Sorry I can't be more specific but I'll keep looking. Take care, SHore

Here is the press release granting favorable ruling on the generic, I didn't read every word and didn't see a date projected to hit the market but it may be burried in that tiny text.LOL
[url]http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=123046&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=481279&highlight=[/url]

Last edited by Shoreline; 03-11-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:09 AM   #4
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Thank-you very much for the info I appreciate it. Endo I think here in Canada if it's the same company I am thinking of make Endocet a cheaper version of percocet. I wonder approximetaly how long until a generic for Oxycontin comes out?And if this Endo company is the same one as in Canada because I would love to have a generic. Thanks again Shoreline!!

I thought that there was a 10 year patent on all new drugs and until the 10 years is up other companies cannot make the generics or atleast have them on the market, do you know if this is true? Maybe the laws about this are different in Canada. I would really like to know more about this just to get some sort of idea when or how long it might be until there is a generic.
Does anybody know??

Last edited by ruko4; 03-12-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

It is the same company, On the first link it shows the new sufentanyl patch has exclusive marketing in Canada and the US. Endo not only makes Endocet but also makes the name brand Percocet. So the generic is the exact same thing.I have never had a problem with any Endo product and their pricing is so much more in line than Purdue frederick "also available in Canada". Hopefully the OxySR will be back on the market soon, that's if Purdue doesn't apeal the decising which there is a pretty good chance they will. Some of Endo's other products in develoment look promising as far as long acting effective pain meds.
Take care, Shore

Closed Thread