Hey K, Don't worry about what folks on the addiction boards have to say about meth, They have taken it for a completely different reason. Analgesia was never even a concern of folks that use meth to detox off of heroin or other potent opiates. Meth is very safe even at high doses as long as you get to the high dose slowly.That's why you don't really want to add more than 10 mgs a week.
This way you allow your body to become accustomed to the side effects. Yes Meth will make you drowsy, where oxy and Hydro tend to cause a histamine release which feels energizing. However, meth offers something other opiates don't, meth binds to the NMDA receptor which increases you tolerance to pain and slows your tolerance to opiates. Did the addicts mention this ?
I don't really understand the concern about when you discontinue the med. If it's being prescribed for pain, using it is usually your last resort, so why worry about discontinuing it.People that abuse Oxycontin and Morphine go through withdrawal, people that abuse meth and benzo's go through withdrawal, mainly because it's all self medicating with no medical professional overseeing or suggesting the proper way to use these meds. They think they are clever because they have figured out how to abuse an oral med, so cleaver that they ignore every health risk from abscess to aids. That really doesn't sound to clever to me.
If there was hope you will recover and not need opiates then you were never really a great candidate to use long acting meds in the first place. Long acting meds are for people that need long term pain intervention, Not short term for a sprained ankle. I know my spine will continue to deteriorate as one screw breaks after another. So having to discontinue opiates at some point isn't even an expectation. No surgeon will touch me after 3 fusion's have failed. I have tried every non opiate method to manage pain there is. So why worry about some addict saying it's harder to discontinue than Heroin.
If that was the case, why didn't they just keep shooting up Heroin. It must have some medical value even for addicts. But addicts don't see things the same way normal people do. There thought process is very different. When you got your meth filled was your first thought, " I wonder if I can inject this and get really F$%$# up?"
That's why addicts get their meth in liquid form, once a day, at a meth clinic. Because if you gave them 90 pills for a month, they would inject them all the first week and brag about how clever they are to have figured out how to inject methadone.
Then start looking for the next med to abuse so they won't experience withdrawal because they are addicted. Addiction and dependence are two totally different things. The articles by Dr Brookoff, part one and two explain the difference very well. mainly addiction is destructive, Use of opiates can actually improve a chronic pain patients quality of life. The addict doesn't care how destructive it is, he will continue the same behavior until they are jailed, hospitalized and seek treatment or OD. A heroin addict has about a 10% chance of returning to a normal life. 90% will go right back to the same destructive behavior that makes them feel so intelligent because they know how to cook heroin or shoot dilaudid , things normal folks wouldn't give a second thought too. Stay away from the addiction forums, There is little to be gained unless your a recovering addict and struggling with your need to use meds.
But a hardcore addict in recovery will tell you that there is no safe amount of opiate, no proper use of prescription meds because everyone will become addicted just like they did. I'm not just like they are, I can actually make 30 pills last 30 days and won't start doc shopping after I take all 30 the first week.
If some surgery could relieve your pain you could comfortably taper off meth at about 5% a week and go back to the land of normal people that don't live with intractable pain.
Personally, I don't have a problem with taking it, I have switched back and forth between meth and morphine and Duragesic. There is some unpleasantness when switching but I have learned and so has my doc about the need to slow tapers down when using methadone. My alternative is to live the rest of my life in bed and that's not expectable. methadone has retored my ability to walk and function and I don't worry about the what if's.
You can't just do a cold switch from meth to Oxy but you can do a cold switch from oxy to meth. The folks on the addiction board have probably never even dug passed all the addiction info to learn about it's analgesic properties, since analgesia was never the reason they took it to begin with.
It amazes me that an addict will give advice about a med he thinks he knows about when all his amazing knowledge didn't prevent them from injecting Black tar heroin or OxyContin into their veins, They are just so clever. Where was their brain when they were injecting that crap into their arm. And the med that freed them from having to shoot up every 4-6 hours is now a bad thing because when it was discontinued it wasn't pleasant.
Well, there is no pleasant way to discontinue IV use of opiates. meth is about the best they can do and unless they plan on staying on meth forever, they will likely have to discontinue the meth at a pace set by a methadone clinic. Trust me, the clinic isn't as concerned about a meth maint patients comfort as your PM doc is, who prescribes meth for an entirely different reason.
So an addict figured out how to inject oxycontin and only develop minimal abscesses from doing so.That doesn't put them at the top of my list as a person to receive accurate clinical information from.Particularly information about analgesics, when pain relief was never even a concern. The buzz is why they inject and abuse drugs.They are so cleaver that they took years to figure out it was destroying their life, so clever they didn't realize no matter how big a dose they injected it wouldn't be like the first time, but kept trying to recapture that first rush for years.
You can either let an addict scare you by their ridiculous behavior that makes them think they are so clever because they can bypass a time release mechanism or know how to cook cocaine into crack.Or you can rely on information from doctors and medical journals.
The info an addict gives isn't quite the same as medical information you have read and researched. If I wanted to learn how to make crank, I would ask an addict, If I wanted to learn about methadone's use for analgesia I would do some medical research. Ask a doc and ask other CP patients what their experience was. I have done The research and I"m happy to share the information I have gathered. You don't have to take my word. Read these articles and educate yourself and if you didn't understand something, I or someone else that has used meth correctly to treat CP will be happy to help. http://www.mainehospicecouncil.org/M...discovered.htm http://www.ampainsoc.org/pub/bulletin/sep00/upda1.htm
part 1 http://www.hosppract.com/issues/2000/07/brook.htm
Part 2 http://www.hosppract.com/issues/2000/09/brook.htm
I can Guarantee you that there are thousands of patients using meth for pain relief that don't become the sick addicts that have given you twisted advice. No prescription drug is evil, only the people that use it and choose the drug over their life, family, health and put obtaining more drugs at the top of their daily To-do list.
Links to more medical info on pain management http://www.muhc-ebn.mcgill.ca/pain_management.htm
Good luck and go slowly even though your out of hydro. You may be in a little more pain this week but 30mgs of meth is a whole lot stronger than 4 10mg Norco or Lortab.
Take care, Shore