It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 07:28 PM   #16

Backsahurtin HB User
Re: Question for Shoreline or anyone else that can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedycarter1
Hey Ang,

I would think that the weght gain is from the pregnizone (sp?) I know that when my mom was on it she swelled up like a baloon. Why were you on it? for Pain?

I am having a very hard time with feeling sick to mmy tummy as well, about an hours after I take my vicodin I get very sour tummy...

Yes, quit the salami t 2 am..hehe...

Heather
Hey Heather!

Yes, the prednisone was for back pain, as well as for asthma. I've been off and on it for years and gained over 60 lbs. As I'm 5'2", the extra weight really didn't help at all. I feel better emotionally for losing the weight I have and hope to be able to get back down to at least 130 but know it's going to take awhile. The slower I lose it, the better chance of keeping it off. I know it also will help my back in the long run because carrying so much extra is not a good thing. I also got more determined to lose the weight after reading a letter my former NS wrote to my former pcp. That letter upset me to no end and I was feeling really down for awhile. I think that letter has also affected my SS claim and the insurance companies decision to deny my SCS again. My PM doc is sweet and spends a lot of time discussing everything with me, but I still feel there is something lacking somewhere and can't pinpoint it just yet.

Since coming to this board, I'm getting more active in my care and think this is a great place to just chill for awhile reading everyone's posting to each other and see the caring each has for the other. I also post on the back pain board but haven't gotten as good a feeling as I do from this one.

What do you take your vic's with? Milk? Water? Coffee? I used to take mine with coffee on an empty stomach, wait 15 minutes then scarf a piece of bread or eat a few crackers because I knew the tummy ache was coming. The bread or crackers really helped that out and I got to quit chewing up so many of the tums I was eating everyday (still take about 8 a day to get my calcium because I'm lactose intolerant-seems like the list of problems keeps growing).

I hope all the info that Shore is providing is as helpful to you as it is to me! I really appreciate all he's sharing with us and don't know what I'd do if it weren't for his willingness to help others out. I'm learning more everyday and hope that no one ticks him off enough that he'd leave us.

Thanks again to responding to my posts. I was feeling a bit lost on the other board, but feel I'm starting to make a little place for myself here, y'all have been very nice!

Try to have as good a weekend as ya can!
Ang

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Don't worry Ang, Nobody ticks me off. I just have to watch my P's and Q's to keep the mods happy. It's probably a good thing you eat so many Tums. My wife has had a terrible time with steroid induced osteo perosis. She has used lots of Prednisone over the years for CMT and all the fractures she has had from the disease, It's funny, the treatment for the fractures has actually caused her bones to become even more brital.

A surgeon that blames a few extra pounds for continued pain after surgery is grasping at straws rather than admitting surgery doesn't cure everyone. I'll take a big fat cigar smoking surgeon over some kid fresh out of school any day. LOL Shore

Last edited by Shoreline; 03-20-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Old 03-20-2004, 02:29 PM   #18

Backsahurtin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline
Don't worry Ang, Nobody ticks me off. I just have to watch my P's and Q's to keep the mods happy. It's probably a good thing you eat so many Tums. My wife has had a terrible time with steroid induced osteo perosis. She has used lots of Prednisone over the years for CMT and all the fractures she has had from the disease, It's funny, the treatment for the fractures has actually caused her bones to become even more brital.

A surgeon that blames a few extra pounds for continued pain after surgery is grasping at straws rather than admitting surgery doesn't cure everyone. I'll take a big fat cigar smoking surgeon over some kid fresh out of school any day. LOL Shore
Hey Shore,

Oh my...I didn't know the prednisone could cause all that. That's horrible! I remember when the pm doc first tried me on Vioxx. He said I should feel a bit better within the week, but after taking it two days I ended up in the er throwing up blood. The same thing happened with celebrex. I was able to tolerate Bextra to the extent it didn't upset my tummy in the slightest, but boy did just one leg swell up so bad I couldn't walk and ended up having to have the fluid drained. My former pcp is the one that had me on the prednisone for so long, my new one said I probably never even really needed it since my asthma is more allergy induced than anything. Once in awhile I might have an attack if I stress out too long, but I usually catch myself before I get to that point. When the allergies are in full force though, there is no control whatsoever. I also tend to have a lot more pain then as well.

Sorry for rambling like that. I am glad to hear that you won't be leaving us! You've provided so much useful information. That helped me a lot when I was looking for questions to ask my new doctor. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!

Ang

Old 03-20-2004, 04:39 PM   #19
Inactive

DanP1 HB User

I don't know how others on this forum feel, but i is strongly recommend that if your doctor will not RX sufficient pain meds (assuming one is in TRUE severe pain) - FIRE HIM AND FIND ONE THAT WILL!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #20
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Sorry for this late response but why could he have just given you Norco (10mg. Hydrocodone/325mg. Tylenol? JB

Closed Thread