It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
Lightbulb New battery operated fentanyl patch!?

I just read a very interesting article about some new technology. Here is the link, it is a very interesting read. [url]http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/8215650.htm[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: New battery operated fentanyl patch!?

Hi Wirry, IT's intersting, But the idea that one dose fits all is certainly questionable. I rememeber the bill for my first surgery and the price of the dilaudid used in the PCA machne was about 950 bucks for roughly 48 hours worth of meds. At the time I thought Dilauadid must be terribly expensive. It turns out oral dialaudid is actually rather cheap. The PCA machine is usually attached to the same IV pole that they give post op antibiotics and post op fluids and allows for an IV line for rapid access in case something goes wrong or needs to be adjusted quickly.

The only change I see is going back to using the old lightweight IV poll, You still need an IV line for postsurgical use and the patient still has to drag the pole around if they leave the bed. The pole never stopped me from getting out of bed so it appears to be a redundant way to deliver meds.

It's not going to save any patient from that terribly painful IV stick prior to surgery,LOL It's not going to change the fact that surgical and post op patients need IV antibiotics and fluids. What exactly was the benefit again?

OH Yeah Johnson and Johnson gets to make a bunch of money on every patient that has surgery where the infusion pumps for PCA have been paid for long ago. IF a patient isn't recieving adaqueate pain management the nurses or anesthesiology team will still need to interveen. The nurses will still wake you twice between 12pm and 6 am to take vitals, the only difference is they won't have to chart how many times the patient presses the pca button. THat must save them like what , a whole 10 minutes at a cost of 500-1000 dollars per pop for the electric patch.

Sounds like great beurocratic justification and plenty of free trips to the caymens or Margaritaville for the docs to be tought how these electric patches work and to smooze hospital admins into using these devices. So every one wins, except the patient. That's right, we are somehow spared those painful IV sticks in Pre-op, NO we still need an IV line for surgery. What a crock. I hope tax dollars didn't pay this amazing technology that replaces nothing. Change a bag of PCA meds, change an electric patch, Chart the number of time the button was pushed? what's the difference?

Thanks for keeping us up to date though wirry. It was humorous reading.
JMO Shore

Last edited by Shoreline; 03-22-2004 at 05:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread