It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

shan_y HB User
Question Elavil for chronic pain management

I am a mass producer of kidney stones and based on what the doctors said Monday, I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life. What I mean by mass producer, is I have numerous large stones every 3-4 months. My doctor prescribed me Elavil on Monday to see if it works. I was just curious if anyone else has tried this for pain mangement . I don't like the fact that it also has anti-depressant attached to it, but I am tired of being in pain also. If anybody can give me some insight, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and take care,

Shannon

Old 03-31-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Elavil for chronic pain management

Elavil was originally designed for depression quite some years ago, in the last 10 or so years ago doctors began prescribing it for those with FMS and pain to help people sleep better because sleep obviously is important to someone in pain.
It has never worked for me or anyone I now who has taken it for pain, not to say it won't help you it may, everyone is different. I tended to make me extremely groggy even at 25mg. I slept well, and kept sleeping for hours on end so ultimately my medications were changed to something more appropriate.
Back when I was first prescribed elavil not realizing it was an antidepressant I kinda freaked out and called the doctor and he told me that it was more for sleep than anything. I still take an antidepressant to help sleep and not for pain but not elavil. Studies have shown that deep REM sleep help with ongoing pain so I have since accepted the fact this is just one method used in pain management.
There may be other possibilites as to why it helps with pain that I"m unaware of.
My friend takes it for migraine maintenance and swears by it.

Good luck and I hope you find some decent relief

Kissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I have been taking elavil at night for 13 years. I have fibro and it does help me sleep well and get up rested. However; I stopped taking it for about 4 months and there was no difference in my pain levels. Last month, I was told to start taking it again; I started on it and have not noticed any lessening of my chronic pain. I have no knowledge of anyone getting any help from elavil as far as pain management goes.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran

rlcowboy HB User

Hey, I have had 4 back surgerys in the last year and now I go to pain managment and a neurologist. Because of the serious back pain I also get severe headaches so I was also prescribed Elavil. The neurologist said it works well for chronic pain and headache prevention. I first took it in the hospital but had to stop because it caused me to have urinating problems. Well after I got home and went back to see the neurologist after 4 weeks I told her I wanted to try the Elavil once more because it did help some with my back pain the most, cant really tell a difference with the headaches but she let me try it again. This time it did not cause any urinating problems, maybe it did before because it was right after surgery, so I'm currently taking two 25mg pills at bedtime. Like she said in the other post it will put me to sleep!I also have some Ambien for sleep but I would say the Elavil gives me a better rest with no hangover feeling the next day. What else are you taking with the Elavil?

Last edited by rlcowboy; 03-31-2004 at 09:52 PM.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:15 AM   #5
(female)

shan_y HB User

Hello,

Elavil is the only thing that he has me on except for hydrocodone for the intense pain until I have surgery tomorrow. I have only been taking the elavil since Monday, but it feels like it is already affecting me. I either sleep really hard or I am up every hour. I also stay tired throughout the day and feel like I am dragging my feet. As for the pain, it has not seemed to touch it, I was told though that it would take a couple of weeks to start working. Thank you for your replies.

Shannon

Old 04-01-2004, 04:50 AM   #6

canelady HB User

Hello I to am taking Elival for years but for sleeping only due to nerve pain in my leg and I take a stronger medicine to deal with my pain. I never thought of Elival being for pain management? New one on me.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

shannon,
i too take elavil.im not sure it really helps with nerve pain as most drs believe but it definately helps you get to sleep.you really have to give it a month to really start working and the next morning drowsiness should stop.if you take it during the day,that might be a problem as it will make you sleepy.as far as having antidepressant qualities,yes originally it was rx'd as an anti-d but many years ago.now it is mainly used for chronic pain and to help get to sleep.it does not have the same anti-d properties as ssri's.it is a tca anti depressant and should not be a problem to stop abruptly which is not the case with most ssri's.......scott

Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
(female)

shan_y HB User

Scott,

Thank you for your reply. Like I told my doctor I will try it and see what happens. My biggest concern is the way I feel during the day, spacey I guess would be the best word to describe it. I take the Elavil between 7-7:30 at night so I don't understand why it is affecting me during the day. Who knows, only time will tell.

Thanks,

Shannon

Old 04-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #9
(female)

shan_y HB User

Everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you for your replies. It is nice to have people share their experiences and wisdom with.

Shannon

Old 04-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

shannon,
trust me ,after a while (2-3 weeks)you wont feel tired or loopy the next day.i went through the same thing when i first started the elavil..glad i could help
.........take care...scott

Last edited by scotty12; 04-01-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #11
Veteran

rlcowboy HB User

Hey my doctor also told me to give it a month before we made any desicions about it working or not!

Closed Thread