It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 07:35 AM   #1

ChefMarky HB User
Methadone and Testosterone(E.D.)

Any of you males out there experience a drop in sex drive? I am going to have my level checked next week and see what's up. My doc said pain med can have an effect(70 mg. methadone) on hormone levels. I was looking for others experience.
Heck I'm 49 but I'm still wanting to do it, just can't get motivated.

Last edited by ChefMarky; 04-02-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Methadone and Testosterone(E.D.)

Mark if you want some acurate info about meth try these articles below. It's not an opiate antagonist, It's a pure agonist, It doesn't prevent BT meds from producing anelgesia, just inhibits the buzz, If you relate the buzz to anelgesia, I could see why you think it negates all other opiate effects. You are wrong though.

You might want to educate yourself before posting such rediculous info as your reply to queen.Having experienced meth withdrawal obviously doesn't mean you know anything more about meth than the ability to describe withdrawal.

By the way, The amarican pain society, the folks that wrote this first article, don't agree with your theory that only short acting meds should be used for CP, In fact there isn't a single pain management orginization that believes in your theory that LA morphine screams abuse me, or that meth negates other opiate effects and only short acting meds should be used to treat CP.

[url]http://www.ampainsoc.org/pub/bulletin/sep00/upda1.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.mainehospicecouncil.org/MaineLink/vol2no2/methadone_rediscovered.htm[/url]

Meth can cause lower testosterone levels but you can't leap to that conclusion without first testing your own level, then having an MRI or CT of the pituitary gland to ensure a pituitary tumor is not causing the problem. A doc that simply gives you a testosterone supplement because your level is low is risking over looking a brain tumor that could be the cause.

I'm still waiting for my morphne to talk to me and tell me to abuse it, I've used morphine as a BT med or a base for at least 3 years, Perhaps I don't have the fine tuned hearing that you do.LOL I didn't know pills could talk although I have heard addicts say that the bottle calls them or the drug calls them.
Shore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
(male)

richlowT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMarky View Post
Any of you males out there experience a drop in sex drive? I am going to have my level checked next week and see what's up. My doc said pain med can have an effect(70 mg. methadone) on hormone levels. I was looking for others experience.
I don't know if this helps but i'm also on long term pain meds (oxy,morphine...)
for a chronic injury. Just found out I have low Testosterone don't know if one has to do with another, doctor said there have been some studies but nothing to prove yes or no. In any case Doc gave me the option of T injections trying to decide if its worth any side effects...

Last edited by richlowT; 02-02-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: ps 49 also

Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Rich, Although many PM docs willprescribe the T, their are still tests that should be donr, number one is your T level, if it's not appropriate for your age, supplementation can be a good thing. My PM actually right my scripts but I still see an endocrinologist once a year to have Blood work, specifically Teststerone levels, both free "natuaral T" and the substitute, a liver panel should be run, your PSA sgould be checked and they need to do a red count and creatin level. Both those can spike dangerously high from T use and cause stroke. I actually have space arond my Pituitary gland where I ovbviously had a tumor at one time and then it dimnished and left room around my pituitary and brain. I just dont like seeing someone treat the symptom without any testing. It's true most Pituitary tumors are benign and resolve themselve but my Red and Crit count is so high that I had 15 pints of blood drained last year to manage my red count and to prevent stroke. I still go every 3 weeks, my choice is to stop T and it would take well over a year to see a difference in red count or impact polycythemia. I'm 46 and not ready to give up sex at all but Ive been using it since I started meth 10 years ago before my pump implant. I had use morphine before, but methadone had a profound impact on my sex drive. Go into it, knowing all the risks. They also test Estrogen levels anually, supplementle T can cause that to increase and the growth of breast tissue is one of the resulting effects. The thing is, it takes years of using it to develop some of the side effects, I doubt you will see anything but improvement, but for your own well being make the decsion as informed as possible.

Consult an Endocrinologist and perhaps they will work together like my PM and Endo. It's worth asking when talking about something as important and with potentially long term side efects. Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 02-03-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: grammer, hadnt slept the night b4

Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
(male)

richlowT HB User

Dave thanks for the info its much appreciated, I probably should of mentioned that I was referred to an endocrinologist. I had a full liver panel and some other tests (and I believe PSA) but I don't recall any other tests. But if I decide to do it I will continue to follow up with endo
Thanks again

Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
(male)

Padraic1359 HB User
Exclamation Re: Methadone and Testosterone(E.D.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMarky View Post
Long term use of methadone and most other opiates causes inhibition of testosterone production at the level of the pituitary gland and hypothalamus (in the brain via luteinizing hormone reduction) also at the level of the testes.
One point: if you go on testosterone with methadone expect horrible hot flushing and itchy dry skin patches (plus if you are prone to baldness that will also increase). Methadone and testosterone together greatly increases DHT via aromatization and also messes with your prolactin levels.
There is a great deal of recent research data on this.
The fact is opiates were never meant to be taken long term (however I have been on them for 20 years and have experienced all of the above including the oxycontin horrors which I'm sure some of you are familiar with).
The longer the half-life or effusion rate of the opiate, the greater the problems (epidural pumps are terrible for this because you are getting constant opiate effusion).
Any endocrinologist worth his or her salt would always do an MRI or CT scan of the hypthalamus and anterior pituitary(to check for abnormality) before dishing out testosterone to a patient. They will also do a GRH/LH test aswell to check if LH production is stunted.

Padriac.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
(male)

Manatee31 HB User

I started methadone in July. I have also noticed a huge drop in sex drive. I am going to inquire about it on my next appointment

Last edited by Manatee31; 12-05-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
(male)

August59 HB User

Opiates can actually cause problems with several hormones, but they all effect testosterone and I'm almost positive for the women that your estrogen will be effected.

If you take fentanyl there is a good chance your cortisol is low

Closed Thread