It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #1

puggiegirl HB User
Wellbutrin for nerve pain?

Has anyone tried Wellbutrin for pain. It's an antidepressant. There was one study in AZ that proved to help 60% of the people who got it. I am tring it now for atypical facial pain with no refief yet. I have been on it for 3 weeks. Anyone have any experience with this medication?

Old 07-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Wellbutrin for nerve pain?

My personal experience was not a good one. Something about the drug caused some strange reaction, I could not talk at all. My mind could process things but I couldn't form words, it was quite bizzare.
My husband was on it for about a month when he started having memory problems and then went into a full blown seizure after completely forgetting who he was one night and where he was, it was like total amnesia. It was the scariest thing ever.
Both of us were immediately taken off of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2004, 12:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I'm definitely not an authority on using Wellbutrin for nerve related pain management and personally I have never heard of it. I have lupus and my Doctor prescribed it thinking it would help with my fatigue. Well, I tried it and it was horrible. My joint pain seemed to intensify and it caused me to get terrible migraines (even though my migraines had been relatively controlled prior to taking the Wellbutrin). Within a week of stopping the Wellbutrin the pain was relatively controlled again. Have you tried to do a search on the web to see any case studies of Wellbutrin being used for nerve related pain? You are in my thoughts and I hope you get answers soon!

Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 07-02-2004 at 12:22 AM.

Old 07-02-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

It's not uncommon to use antidepressants from either class, Trycyclics or SSRI's and sme that don't fall into either catagory.

I never found pain relief from antiD's, But my mom had a breast removed a month ago due to cancer and has been using Elevill succesfully to treat the phantom pain as the nerves die off and struggle to reconnect to something.

In the US docs can use any med they want for any reason, Prior to Oxycontin antidepressants were prescribed for all pain. It's as rediculous as saying 5 mgs of hydrocodone will relieve everyones pain, for some it helps for other, it's too mild. There are a couple dozen different antiD's you could try but the more recent trend is the antiseizure meds for neuralgia. Meds like Neurontin, Topppamax, Lamictyl, Dilantin,Klonopin etc. There are many meds to try if your doc doesn't want to go directly to opiates, not that opiates are as effective on nerve pain as they are on visceral or mechanical pain. They do help, but usually in conjuction with an antiseizure or an antD.
Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread