It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Generic vs Brand Percocet

Hi all,

I usually take brand name Percocet for headaches, back pain, etc. My new insurance will not pay for brand name so I got generic. Maybe it is all in my mind, but it seems like the medicine is not as strong. Also, I feel kind of sick to my stomach. I never had adverse effects when taking the brand name. My pharmacist says the generic is the EXACT same medication. What do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Generic vs Brand Percocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruth5
Hi all,

I usually take brand name Percocet for headaches, back pain, etc. My new insurance will not pay for brand name so I got generic. Maybe it is all in my mind, but it seems like the medicine is not as strong. Also, I feel kind of sick to my stomach. I never had adverse effects when taking the brand name. My pharmacist says the generic is the EXACT same medication. What do you guys think?

We had this very same conversation with our pharmicist. There are different buffers and fillers according to him. Someone else on the list stated that they are made by the same co, just marketed differently.

I don't take pain meds, my husbaqnd does, but we tell the doc that we can't take the generics and he writes *no substitutions* on our scripts. We caught some flack for it, but in the end we were approved.

Ask to see the PDR and look up the generic as well as the name brand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey BC Ruth, The manufacturer of brand name percocet is Endo pharma. Tehy have several name brand products and a generic product line for all their version of persocet, 5.0/325 7.5/325 and 10/325
If You get Endo's generic line you will l;ikely get as close to brand as you will ever get.

I can tell you what seperates Percoset name brand from other generic manufacturers, there are at leas a dozen that FDAQaproval to make a generic.
But name brand percocet 5/325 has 4.3 mgs of Oxycodone Biortartrate and .7 mgs of Oxycodone hydrochloride. This differencfe can be felt buy some popeople.

And like bettey said, different cmpanies have different bnding agenmnts and fillers and it's actually possibl;e to recieve a generic that has a littler more than 5mg of oxycodone. They allow a =15% and -20% variation in active ingresient.

Putting 4.3 mghs of Oxycodone and 325 of Oxycodone biotartrate is probably easier to do and cost less and still falls within the -20 allopwable variation.
Vice versa, you may get a company that says lets standf out and spend a couple extra pennies in try to build a folowing . So they make a tablet, minimal fillers, perhaps no glucose to help diabetics and make a 5mg perk actually have 5.3 mgs of Oxycodone in it. There are allowable variation so for a pharmacist to say they are all the same, My wife was in the biz for 7+ years and the pharmacy makes a higher gross margin on generics, Is instructed to push generic ands gets6 a bonus when the right percentage of sales is generic.

Ask the pharmacist if he would take generic heart medicatrion or generic anti rejection medicatio0n, To prevent rejection of doanated organs. I know what their answer will be, I know what most sensable cardiologist will suggest. It does come down to bottom line though.

I was shocked having to pay almost 90 bucks for 60 10/325 generic percs by Endo, the manufacturer of the real name brand Perc, I've never seen the bottle of the Endo but these numbers, I have seen 4.3 mgs in genric Tylox or Percocet wouldn't b uncommon and will say so right on the some bottles.

Good luck, Dave

Old 07-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
(male)

bcruth5 HB User

Thanks for the replies. The drug I am taking is makde by Endo. I guess it is as close to the real thing as I can get, according to your post.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherry47 HB User

Hey Dave,

Now you have my curiousity up. As you know, I take the generic Roxicodone for BT pain. It's made by Mallinckrodt and the bottle says each 5ml contains Oxycodone Hydrochloride USP 5mg. (It's liquid). It doesn't list any other ingredients on the bottle and this is the bottle straight from the pharma not one of the drug store bottles they pour meds into. I have used the brand name Roxicodone when they were out of the Mallinckrodt and I didn't really notice a difference, but I have noticed that I have gotten a bottle every now and then that just did not have the full strength in my opinion. I'm guessing those were the bottles that fell on the low end of the allowable difference in strength. Is it the same for liquids as pills??

Honestly Dave, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. I for one really appreciate everything you bring to the boards. You are a great asset indeed. You should get paid for all your research.

One more thing, what is the difference between oxycodone hydrochloride and oxycodone biotartrate? I'm assuming the oxy hydrochloride is stronger?

God Bless,
Sherry

Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I know one thing for sure about prednisone.My son has a transplanted liver,and the transplant center and the hospital where he had the transplant always make sure that his prednisone is Deltasone.His Tx co-ordinator told me when I asked why the specifics,that there definitely IS enough of a difference in some meds that once they set the dose with the deltasone that nothing else can be used as the variations in the drug make up are way to wide to get the exact same dosage with any other form of generic prednisone.i was really suprised at what she told me.but with transplants,like dave stated, the meds have to be exact every time you take them in order for you to maintain an anti rejection status.The amount definetly DOES matter.Marcia

Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Sherry, The name brand liquid version of Oxycodone 20mg per ml is called OxyFast, The is a generic version called OxyDose. So you are actually taking a generic version of Oxyfast, Purdues name brand liquid oxycodone.

I can't find the time line but I know Roxicodone Intensol has been available for a while, but don't know which came first and why Purdue wouldn't scream foul about their patent rights. It was leaving the Intensol off that was throwing me.

Intensol is the name Roxanne used and now Elan uses to diferentiate between tablet and liquid versions

Roxicodone is a name brand product that was started by Roxanne but sold to Elan pharma a few years ago, a generic version of the 15mg tablet and 30mg is not available, Roxicodone comes in tablet form 5mg, 15mg and 30 mg, The only strength there is a generic for is the 5mg.
Then there is Roxicodone Intensol 20mg per ml, 30 ml bottles. Just like Oxyfast and the generic your taking

From what I have heard the generic OxyDose actually tastes better than the name brand Oxyfast by Purdue. Does your Mellenkrodt bottle just say Oxycodone elixer 20mg/per ml or is Oxydose the name of their liquid oxy product by mellencrodt..

I just checked Mellencrodts product list and this is how it reads

Oxycodone Hydrochloride Oral Concentrate Solution CII 20mg/mL
Compared To: Oxyfast® Oral Conc./Roxicodone
This should say Roxicodone Intensol

The liquid version of Roxicodone is called Roxicodone Intensol and the entire Roxicodone line was sold to Elan pharma a while back.

ROXICODONE Intensol 20 mg/mL
0054-3683-44
30 mL Bottle

You can't substitute a liquid when a pill or capsule has been prescribed just like they can't substitute a liquid version when a pill is prescribed.

So as far as generic versions of Oxyfast 20mg per ml, You have OxyDose, haven't found the maker, Mellenkrodts version Oxy elixer, Roxicodone Intensol and I imagine there are a few other off brand generic versions of liquid oxycodone.

Leaving off the Intensol part is what threw me, If a doc wrote Roxiconde 20 and left of the name Intensol, unless the Pharmacist knew Intensol was the name they use to specify liquid versions of several meds in their product line you might need a more specific script.

Could a generic liquid be weaker or stringer than the name brand liquid. +15 or -20 regardless of what it says on the bottle.
Some manufacturers are upfront and will tell you a 5mg generic Tylox only contains 4.3 mgs of Oxy Biotartrate and 500 mgs of APAP.

I have held the bottleof both the generic Tylox that says it only has 4.3 mgs of Oxy Biotartrate and the name brand Percocet that has the .7 mgs of oxy HCL in addition to the 4.3 mgs of Oxy Biotartrate. Obviously there is some difference between Oxy Biotartrate and Oxy HCL

A rose by any other name is still a rose, But all roses are not equally beautiful or have the same smell.

I'm still learning every day, I forgot Roxanne had sold it to Elan and forgot about the Intensol name indicates liquid. So yes it is a generic version of Roxicodone Intensol.

Sorry about grammer errors in previous post, It had been a long wrotten day, Daughter got bit by friends dog, needed to take her to doc and start antiBiotics and report my friends dog to animal control. Not a cool thing to have to do.

Last edited by Shoreline; 07-14-2004 at 09:57 AM.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherry47 HB User

Dave,

I hope your daughter is ok. It looks like you and I are both having pretty rotten days. I know you hated to have to report your neighbors dog, but hey that's your daughter and anyone would have done the same thing if they were in your shoes. I hope the dog was current on it's shots. My rotten day consists of having my GMC SUV repo'ed. We just finished western unioning the money to the finance company so we can pick up my truck tomorrow when the repo place opens up. Oh well, life pretty much sucks for me right now.

Anyway, on to the medicine. On the bottle from the manufacturer (Mallinckrodt) it says Oxycodone Hydrochloride Oral Solution, USP 5 mg per 5mL Each 5mL contains: Oxycodone Hydrochloride, USP ....5mg

It comes in a 500mL bottle. I get 1860mL per month for BT. So I get 3 of the manufacturer bottles and then one of the bottles they measure liquid meds in from the pharmacy.

It's been a long time since I got the Roxicodone brand so I don't remember anything that was on that bottle except it saying Roxicodone and you are right, it tasted pretty bad.

I hope your daughter feels better soon. Thank you for everything you do for all of us here. I for one really appreciate your efforts. You have given me a lot to think about as far as discussing my options with my new PM doc. I was very ignorant about pain management when I joined this board. I was lead to believe that I was on terribly high doses of meds and that because of my age I would one day be without any options. Before my fusion I actually had one PM doc tell me that if my pain levels were at a 9 with 50mcg of fentanyl, that I might as well not take any meds because my pain couldn't get much worse. I only went to him one time, I told my surgeon what he had said and my surgeon said, if you could come off pain meds, I wouldn't need to operate on you. DUH! But, I guess if you have been in pain management for any length of time then all of us have encountered at least one bad PM doc. I'm still waiting on my appointment with my new PM doc. I was with the same PM doc for 2 years prior to surgery but my surgeon says that he is not the type of PM doc I need now. The old PM was more into injections of any and all types.

Sorry for the rambling, it's just been such a bad day that I guess I'm just trying to take my mind off of my financial problems.

Again, Thank you for all you do.

God Bless,
Sherry

Closed Thread