It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #1

wonkaville HB User
Avinza and MS Contin

I have a question about Avinza and MS Contin....I have a friend that is on Avinza and she says that it does not last for the full 12 hours. I know that Avinza is supposed to be taken every 24 hours, or in some cases can be taken every 12 hours. She has been on the Avinza for almost 4 months now, and is interested in switching medications to MS Contin. I know that both medications are morphine, but would the dosage be the same? She takes 240mg of Avinza a day. She's looking at the MS Contin so that she could take it every 6-8 hours instead of every 12. My question is 240mg of Avinza the same as 240mg of MS Contin? And if is not, what dosage of MS Contin would be equivalent to 240mg of Avinza? If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #2

kellyp HB User
Re: Avinza and MS Contin

I just switched from Avinza to MS Contin. I found it wore off around the 20th hour so I switched to ms contin every 8 hours. Yes the dose is the same, if she is taking 240 mgs Avinza she would most likely take 80 mgs ms contin every 8 hours.
Most doc's won't write Avinza for 12 hours as the manufacturer says 24 hours. MS Contin is supposed to be every 12, but the manufacturer says it can be 8. My doc started at every 8 without trying 12 first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Same drug same daily dose when converting, If she is a fast metabolizer or poor metabolizer that may explain the Avinza not lasting. Which is much less time than most report. I understand not lasting 24 but not lasting 12 is hard for a doc to comprehend. If she's a fast metabolizer 60mgs 4 times a day should be the equivelent dose of MSC unless the doc believes MSC actually last 12 hours, then she would need 60X2= twice a day. MSC comes in 15mg,30,mg 60mg, 100, and 200. 3 times a day works for most folks so if she's not getting relief from 240 the doc may increase to 100X 3 and that would be safe compared to what she's taking now and a decent increase of 25%.

Complaining it doesn't last 12 hours may set her so far apart from everyone else, Unles she has GI problems it may actually cause a problem. What will it take and has she ever been satisied and what is the condition? If things don't jive you can increase your dose right out of a practice. Perhaps her expectations are too high and meds just won't kill 100% of the pain.

Most docs shoot for 50-60%, You do have to live with some, If you set a dose to manage your worst pain then you would be over medicated most of the time. With avinza she doesn't have the option of adding a larger dose at night without if effecting her the next day.
Good luck, Dave

Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 PM   #4

wonkaville HB User

Thank you for responding to my question. My friend has Fibromyalgia, and has had it for over 5 years now. She has tried so many different things for her pain, both traditional pain medicines as well as holistic treatments. Her pain doctor has had her on Dilaudid, Norco, Vicodin, MSIR, the Duragesic patch, and she now uses Actiq for her breakthrough pain and the Avinza for her regular pain med. But she has never tried MS Contin....we met through a support group, since I too, have Fibromyalgia as well as a very rare kidney disease. I currently take MS Contin, but it is such a high dosage that I felt I really couldn't help her with her decision to try and switch meds.

I completely agree with you Shoreline that nothing will ever take our pain away 100%. But unfortunately, I've seen my friend suffer when the doctor switched pain medications because it didn't seem like it was an equal conversion. That's why I was curious about the Avinza and MS Contin. Thank you both for your responses.

Closed Thread