It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #1

Greeneyedgurl85 HB User
How are you supposed to deal with Root Canal pain?

I got a root canal done yesterday, I am in SO much pain. They gave me vicodin for it, but nothing seems to help. I don't know what to do. I can't seem to do or think of anything because my pain is so bad. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
(female)

chriztene HB User
Re: How are you supposed to deal with Root Canal pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyedgurl85
I got a root canal done yesterday, I am in SO much pain. They gave me vicodin for it, but nothing seems to help. I don't know what to do. I can't seem to do or think of anything because my pain is so bad. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

What I have found that works great for tooth aches is plain ole aspirin, not tylenol, but asprin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Are you taking your meds before or after the pain hits? If you are waiting until it is out of control it certainly won't be effective at all, try to take it before it gets severe.

Be cautious of aspirin, while it does work great on many pains it is a blood thinner and when you've had any type of proceedure where cutting is involved you do run the risk of major bleeds.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #4

Greeneyedgurl85 HB User

I'm still experiencing ALOT of pain, it seems worse than before. It's been about 3 days since I had my root canal, and nothing seems to help. I take an antibiotic, and pain medication, I don't know what else I can do though. What I was going to ask is, I ran out of vicodin, and I bought some tylenol extra strength, I took 2 because that's what the dosage is, but it's not helping at all. I was wondering if I can take more than 2 in a 4 hour period, and if not, what else can I do to numb the pain...it's unbareable, I can't move...I feel like I'm paralyzed when it hits. Any help would be awesome!!!

Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 AM   #5

moonlight8 HB User

Hi,
I had a root canal and a separate crown prep done with pain ranging from crazy throbbing to lingering/weird phantom pain from the so called devitalized tooth. Haven't seen anything on this board but I tried homeopathic single remedies and the really helped. You can do some easy searches on homeopathic pages but some commonly used ones for dental trauma are arnica, cammomilia, hypericum and belladonna. oh yeah and mercurius. you can find out more about the dosages and choosing the right one for your symptoms online. i was tired of screwing up my liver with NSAIDs and was surprised at how these tiny little drugfree pills work. i spent about $50 but it was worth it. good luck to you.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:24 AM   #6
(female)

chriztene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyedgurl85
I'm still experiencing ALOT of pain, it seems worse than before. It's been about 3 days since I had my root canal, and nothing seems to help. I take an antibiotic, and pain medication, I don't know what else I can do though. What I was going to ask is, I ran out of vicodin, and I bought some tylenol extra strength, I took 2 because that's what the dosage is, but it's not helping at all. I was wondering if I can take more than 2 in a 4 hour period, and if not, what else can I do to numb the pain...it's unbareable, I can't move...I feel like I'm paralyzed when it hits. Any help would be awesome!!!
Gurl,

I would definately contact your dentist first thing this morning and advise him/her of your terrible pain. It sounds like a dry socket and I have had a few of these and they are unrelenting in the pain! The dentist will pack it with gauze and you will begin to feel better in a few days. I believe you might have to take antibiotics,too. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread