It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 02:06 AM   #16
(female)

Nu2patch HB User
Re: Fentanyl patch tips

To make my patch stick better i do the following things.....(i wear the sandoz brand 75mg)
1. Before i put my patch on i was the area with warm water only.
2. When i put the patch on i press firmly for about a minute.
3. I also wear it on my upper arm.
4. When i shower i try not to get it wet, i have a shower where i can hold
the nozzle and spray my body and head.
5. If i need to i also put Press and Seal by the makers of Aluminum foil
over the patch and that keeps the water off it.
6. If the sides start to lift i put clear bangage tape on all four sides of patch
and this rarely happens.

Thats all i can think of for now! I hope this helps some.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #17
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

To keep Brand Name Duragesic and/or Sandoz Generic Fentanyl Patches in place, here is my ritual:

1. When I place a new patch on my upper arm, I press my hand firmly over the patch for about a minute (as Nu2patch does).

2. Then, I use Johnson & Johnson tape--either the cloth type (blue dispenser) or the paper type (green dispenser). I use four strips on each patch to cover each side of the patch.

3. This patch sticks best on me if I place them on my upper arms. I have not had success by placing them on my back or chest.

4. Finally, do your best to avoid having the shower pour directly onto your patch for any length of time.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
(female)

cape1963 HB User

I have followed the ritual myself...learned the hard way...by experience and trial and error. My upper arms worked best for me too. Another suggestion would be to not swim nor shower...bathe and wash hair. The water will definitely make the patch come loose from your skin. All four sides need to be sticking to your skin in order for the patch to work properly. Even if one side has started lifting up from your skin, the patch will not provide the proper pain relief.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 AM   #19
(male)

ch28152 HB User

I use a tape called Durapore made by 3M. The size I use is 2". I use several pieces to cover my entire patch but I dont have it pulling off as easily. The main reason I use it is because my skin breaks out under the bioclusive covers sent to Duragesic users.
360 Re Fusion T5 to pelvis w/new Harrington rods and pedicle screws 9-2000

The Following User Says Thank You to ch28152 For This Useful Post:
topdrugs (02-25-2012)
Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #20
(male)

c_hoss89 HB User

Hello All-
First off, I just want to say that I had the BEST luck with the MYLAN fentanyl patches. *They are the ones without the gel inside, unlike the Sandoz and Duragesic* But that's beside the point. I was on Mylan until my insurance changed and required me to be on the Duragesic, even then I used something called TEGADERM by 3M. They are the smaller ones, measuring 6cm X 7cm (2 3/8in X 2 3/4in). I used these to make sure my patches didn't get wet, they didn't get snagged on clothing, fall off, and to allow me to swim and shower daily for more than just a few minutes. Most pharmacies carry these and they are priced pretty fairly. But now that I am on the Duragesic brand, my main reason of using these is just because the damn things don't stick. I absolutely hate these! Something else, I don't think my body absorbs the fentanyl as well through these as it did the Mylan patches. Does anyone else find any of this to be true?

If anyone is on the Duragesics, you can call and request for the "overlay dressing" which is nothing more than BIOCLUSIVE from Johnson&Johnson. They are completely free, you pay nothing. Not even shipping. But, you have to tell them you have absolutely NO itching or redness under the patches now, and that you've tried tape. They don't send them unless you've tried every last possible thing. When and if you get them, they come in a box that is delivered to your door, and there is #50 of them. Their measurements are 10.2cm X 12.7cm (4in X 5in).

[removed]

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-05-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: This topic is for advice only. Your question has been moved to it's own post

Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #21
(female)

Seeking_seeking HB User

try to use a condom ..cut the tip off ,stretch it over your arm , legg before getting in the shower this will keep it dry.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-06-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_seeking View Post
try to use a condom ..cut the tip off ,stretch it over your arm , legg before getting in the shower this will keep it dry.
Will they really stretch enough to get your arm through? I assume it is like a sleave.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #23
(male)

jamesdavid131 HB User

Hi to every body. I too use the Fentanyl patch(Sandoz Duragesic). I recently came across new info(new to me any way) that said the hair in the area where the patch is to be placed should NOT be shaved but clipped, any body know why, I have been shaving the hair with out any problems that I know of. Yes to c_hoss89's question about the medicine being absorbed or not. That is some thing you can't control, wether you are recieving no or little or to much medicine. I get migraine headaches, sweating, severe nausa six to ten hours(some times sooner) after putting on a new patch. My doctor said that it is from a surge of medicine(overdose side effects) but those are also withdrawel side effects. Also about coverings for the patch, I use the Tegaderm transparent dressing made by 3M part number 1628. I order them online ( REMOVED ) 6'' by 10'' I cut them in half giving me two 6'' by 5'' covers. They stick very good and don't come loose after getting wet from several showers.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
(female)

Gypsy1947 HB User

I have had good luck with putting my fentanyl patches on my upper back. The lower back moves too much. The only bad part is you have to have someone do it for you, and I have been lucky enough to have help. I have noticed lately that the skin on my upper back is getting very sore. I think it's just plain worn out. It's been a good place for over 18 months.
Now I find myself looking for a new place to put them. It was suggested that I use my wrist, but I'm not so sure about that.......gypsy

Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #25
(female)

woodburymom HB User
Thumbs up Re: Fentanyl patch tips

Each time I put on a new Fentanyl Patch I make sure I cover it entirely with a piece of Hypafix Tape.
I make sure I cover the entire Patch and extend the Hypafix Tape about 1/4" to ensure a complete seal.

• It stays on through Showers,
  • Sweating and
  • Everyday Wear and Tear.

I have also found that putting the Patch on my Upper Thigh is another place you can put it.

Note: You are just not supposed to put it on the same area each time.
You should alter different areas on your body.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #26
(female)

Avlar HB User

One of the things I learned from using the patches for 3 years was that the patches do not stick very well on dry skin. About once a week I would rub baby oil on the areas where I usually put my patches ( Usually my back) just before getting in the shower. The patches always stick better after the shower.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #27
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avlar View Post
One of the things I learned from using the patches for 3 years was that the patches do not stick very well on dry skin. About once a week I would rub baby oil on the areas where I usually put my patches ( Usually my back) just before getting in the shower. The patches always stick better after the shower.
If you cal Jaansen (The Maker of the duagesic patch they will send you and adheshive covering that covers the whole patch and believe me it is not coming off for anything......Peace, JoJo

Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
(female)

badexampleJenny HB User

I used to use the Duragesic brand patches and found that simply washing the skin with Ivory bar soap helped them to stay on better than anything else I tried. I went off the patch because I was getting blisters underneath them and also acne-type pustules around the outer edges of the patch.

Closed Thread