It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
codeine free pain meds

I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out. My husband is allergic to codeine and we were wondering what prescription pain meds are out there without codeine. I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I hope this is the right place. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: codeine free pain meds

There are a vast number of medications that do not contain Codiene, in fact most of them don't but if he is allergice to codiene he may be allergic to the other products on the market as well because they have similar side effects such as the itching.
What side effects does he have when he has a reaction? What he taking the medication for? Something short term or long term? Is he currently seeing a doctor for his condition or problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

We don't have insurance, so we are self medicating. I know that is not the best way to do things, but we have no money for a doctor right now. It is nothing serious really, he pulled a shoulder muscle, but he is in a lot of pain. His allergy to codeine is pretty serious, it makes a valve in his heart not close all the way. He has taken pain meds before, but I can't think of what he has taken. But he has never had a reaction with anything else. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

The safe thing to do is see a doctor. I understand the no insurance thing - but it's better to owe a bill than to take a chance on an allergic reaction.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Ultracet aka. Tramadol is worth a try.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Tramadol has it's own set of side effects as well, particularly if you have a heart problem, it can cause the heart to race quite rapidly. Most other medications if he is allergic to codiene may likely cause the same problem so you are taking a huge risk by self medicating. If he gets his hands on something and reacts the same way you will end up with a hospital bill for thousands if not something worse.

Self medication is bad idea, if you can afford to purchase medications to self medicate, and this is usually bought off the internet which BTW is illegal, then you should try to see a doctor. Unless of course you are getting them from a friend or off the street which is also illegal.

Most doctors are pretty good at letting you pay off a balance on a visit and I doubt he'd need xrays so you should be ok. If he went to the ER then yes I could percieve a bill for hundreds of dollars and honetly they don't help much they always refer you to a doctor afterwards as they are only for immediate problems. It's best to have a doctor who understands his allergies and give him something that he can tolerate instead of being allergic to.

Chances are if it is a strain the doctor will probably prescribe muscle relaxors which will be more effective for him and not run the risk of side effects

Old 08-27-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

He doesn't have a heart problem. The codeine affects his heart, but nothing else has ever done that. We live in a very small town and it is impossible to find a doc around here that let's you pay them out.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

How about a doctor in a nearby town then? I hope you do it the safe way. I use to work in a hospital, I've seen what self medicating can cause. Please be careful.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

Thanks for the concern. I am VERY careful when it comes to meds. Usually he would go to the doctor, but right now it is just not possible. I have some muscle relaxors so I am just going to give him those.

Closed Thread