It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #1

wfc33 HB User
Can scar tissue cause abdominal pain?

I received my liver transplant 3 years ago March. Funny, I always thought I'd be totally healthy after that, but unfortunately there remained some problems, nerve damage pain, etc. Lately, I've been having a lot of abdominal pain, it's not really on my liver side, nor is it totally on my stomach side. It's like right in the middle, which is just where a big incision was made for my transplant.

A Liver transplant scar looks like an upside down "T". What really gets me is that I cannot link this pain to anything that I do. It comes on at all differnet times, never dependant on eating, (although, I stll get a normal stomach ache occasionaly) but I can eat pizza or Subway wth all the peppers and onions and be fine. Since I can't really pair it with anything like that,I got to thinking about the scar tissue. I saw on some progam that sometimes scars heal under the skin in such a way that the tissue itself becomes a problem. My Dr. gave me phenergan for the nausea, and it usually works, but it's slow to work. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of this,or has anyinfo to share. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to wfc33 For This Useful Post:
Lee Roy (08-29-2012)
Old 09-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
(female)

Izzybella HB User
Re: Can scar tissue cause abdominal pain?

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 04:59 AM   #3
(female)

chriztene HB User

Yes, it sounds as though your symptoms could very well be adhesions. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis over 2 years ago and didnt think my pain/problems could become worse...Until, I was diagnosed with adhesions 2 months ago. I, too, had a lapro to cut/remove the adhesions which were adhered to the entire side of my stomach.

I would suggest you talk to your Dr. about this possiblity. Also, remember many Dr's do not consider adhesions and/or are not familiar with them and the damage adhesions can do to a patient.

Your Dr. can remove the adhesions via a lapro which is much less invasive compared to an open surgery. The difficult part regarding adhesions is they are hard to diagnose as they do not show up on any lab/x-ray tests. This reason alone is why so many suffer for years prior to being diagnosed with adhesions.

Good Luck

Old 09-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Yup, adhesions are one of the the biggest risks with abdominal surgery.
Have you had scare management from a PT, You may benefit from some myofacial release too. Initially breaking up the scar tissue may be uncomfy but worth it in the long run.

Good luck, Dave

Old 09-29-2004, 02:09 AM   #5
(female)

chriztene HB User

Dave,

Do you have any additional information on where to go to receive the treatment you posted? Any help/links would be greatly appreciated. I have heard of massage therapy for adhesions, but, do not know where to look for this kind of treatment.

Thank You,

Old 10-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #6

wfc33 HB User

Thanks for the ifo everyone.This week hd gone pretty good, had a little trouble on Tues., but good the rest of the time.Til tonight (Saturday).The abdominal pain came on quickly, around 4 PM, even before supper. It was bad and had to take several meds. We'll see how I feel later.

Old 10-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
(female)

dpaz HB User

I also had adhesions from abdominal surgery, and yes, they caused a lot of pain. I had had my appendix and gallbladder out, and partial hysterectomy. I had a lot of abdominal pain, pain that felt like pulling with movement etc. Adhesions can usually be diagnosed through laparoscopy. I had to have surgery to release the adhesions, which had caused the ovary they left in to be completely attatched to my bowel. The doctor put some kind of substance in there to help prevent the adhesions from returning. They are just scar tissue. Some people are more susceptible to them than others, like some people develop keloid scars on their skin. They can be diagnosed, so please get it checked out further.

Closed Thread