It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #1

GIGI11220 HB User
Talking permanent nerve damage in foot

first of all what is breakthrough drug? Next, if anyone has experienced a permanently damage nerve in a foot, what medication did you use that was successful for pain . How do you cope with constant, unrelenting pain? My sister has taken percocet, neurontin, vicotin, valium, telephetal but the pain does not subside. At one time she tried duragesic patches but couldn't tolerate them. She is at her wit's end. There are last resort remedies such as spinal cord stimulation and the pump and if you have tried one of these procedures did it help?. Can anyone help me out here. Would much appreciate it

Last edited by GIGI11220; 09-28-2004 at 05:18 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:27 PM   #2

jbot HB User
Re: permanent nerve damage in foot

GiGi I have the same thing in both feet for 5 yrs now.I haven`t found anything to help even a pain dr.It is there both day and night. Right now my feet are hurting /burning so bad i can`t keep them still.I to am looking for a answer also.I do hope she can find some relief.Let her know she is not alone I know that doesn`t help her pain.Good luck you are a good siater to try and help her.........jbot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 04:18 AM   #3
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
Re: permanent nerve damage in foot

Hello GIGI,

A 'break through med' is something extra for when the pain 'breaks through' (say due to time of day, activites) in spite of whatever treatment works on lowering pain levels the remainder of the time.

Eight years ago I broke my heel and damaged a nerve. I got the heel fixed the first year and the nerve five years later. since I got a lot of help on the boards I have stayed around to return the favor. Lately I have been conversing with members with broken heels on the "foot Problems" Topic and hopefully I can be of some help to you with the nerve damage issue.
The good news is that your sister's doctors are taking her seriously as many with nerve damage meet resistance since it doesn't show up on x-rays, MRIs etc. The docs have tried various types for your sister and have not run out of options there. The situation with medications is that there are a lot that might work but no way to know except trying each one. For me Vicodin (hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen) and the similar Percocet did help as well as Tramadol (a synthetic version). Clonazepam (Klonopin) was the first thing that got the pain levels down so that I could sleep. While I had no luck with Neurontin, another AED (Anti Epileptic Drug) Phenytoin Sodium (Dilantin) was more effective but with more side effects. Also tried were: Nortriptyline, Methadone, Oxycontin and others. Various shots, blocks, and infusions also failed.

When as they say: "all other methods of treatment have failed " the SCS (Spinal Cord Stimulator) and Intrathecal Pump were the next possibilities. My doc felt that the best option was a PNS (peripheral nerve stimulator). When a specific pain site is involved and the pathway could be verified by stopping the pain with a direct injection of anesthetic to that nerve better results would be expected in stimulating that location than in the spinal area. It was explained to me that ans SCS has less than a 50% chance of relieving half the pain and a good chance that the leads or pain will change resulting in loss effectiveness. The PNS has a much better chance of working, being more effective and maintaining it's effectiveness. This is partly due to knowing the exact pain pathway and also because it is placed solidly in tissue near the nerve rather than 'floating' around in the spinal canal.

I've had mine for three years now. I went off of all drugs the day I got it and it works just as well today. It is the same hardware by the same manufacturers as the SCS, just the leads (electrodes) are placed more effectively. Your sister might want to ask her docs if they think it would be appropriate for her.

Closed Thread