It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
OxyContin 10mg Question/Info

Today I was prescriped OxyContin by my doctor after having some bad problems with the Vicoprofen and Lortab I was originally prescribed. My doctor, just as Shorline had mentioned, told me that this medicine would be better for me since there would be no Liver problems from the Tylenol and no GI problems from the Ibuprofen.

However I have never taken this medicine before, and from what Ive read, it seems like a pretty strong painkiller. Ive read all of the warnings, and talked to the pharmacist. Yet Im still sort of wondering before I start taking it tomorrow, will this medicine cause nausea, lightheadedness, etc? Will I be okay to drive on it? How does it compare to the Lortab and Vicoprofen I was taking previously? Is it truly effective for the whole 12 hours it claims?? That almost doesnt seem possible, compared to how the Hydrocodone medicines worked. Thank you for your help and information!!

BTW--the pill description says OxyContin 10mg Tablet SA - Purdue Pharma L, in case that helps. Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to Phlox For This Useful Post:
pianomaster (11-02-2010)
Old 10-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #2

Marg001 HB User
Re: OxyContin 10mg Question/Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlox
Today I was prescriped OxyContin by my doctor after having some bad problems with the Vicoprofen and Lortab I was originally prescribed. My doctor, just as Shorline had mentioned, told me that this medicine would be better for me since there would be no Liver problems from the Tylenol and no GI problems from the Ibuprofen.

However I have never taken this medicine before, and from what Ive read, it seems like a pretty strong painkiller. Ive read all of the warnings, and talked to the pharmacist. Yet Im still sort of wondering before I start taking it tomorrow, will this medicine cause nausea, lightheadedness, etc? Will I be okay to drive on it? How does it compare to the Lortab and Vicoprofen I was taking previously? Is it truly effective for the whole 12 hours it claims?? That almost doesnt seem possible, compared to how the Hydrocodone medicines worked. Thank you for your help and information!!

BTW--the pill description says OxyContin 10mg Tablet SA - Purdue Pharma L, in case that helps. Thanks again!
Hi there Phlox,
I certainly know what you are going through. I myself have disc degeneration, and scoliosis, and a slipped disc that's out constantly. The Docs put me on first on 10mg. of Oxycontin and will tell you right now it DOES NOT last a near 12 hours, I would say with everyone it is different. But I know the majority of people that I talk to with chronic pain have stopped taking that medication. For one it is suppose to be addictive, but I know some people will argue with me one that on, they actually call it Hillbilly Heroin!! Not a good thing to be taking. I have never taking Lortab or Vicoprofen as I live in Canada and it is not available here. Right now I am on the Duragesic Patch. I started out on the 25mc, now I am on the 50mc. But I really must say one thing about them they really do help with the pain. THe ony reason I want to go back down is because they are sometimes making me drowsy. But as far as I am concerned that's the least of my problems when I am in so much pain. I really hope that you find something that helps you, and please get back to me and let me know how you are doing. Take good care of yourself!!Bye for now
Marg
Two months later had to go back and have Illestomy closed.
Now almost 1 year having chronic lower back pain due to Spondylolesthesis, and DDD, and also still have a 31 degree curse to back.
Also have a dextro-scoliosis and a levo-scoliosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Thank you Marg! From what Ive been reading that seems to be a common complaint--that they dont last the full 12 hours. However for right now Im mainly concerned with the side effects, since this will be new to me and Im a bit apprehensive about something that seems like a "bump up" from what I was taking. If the actual pain relief is not there, well, I will deal with that if it happens I guess and call my doctor.

I was just reading a post from Shoreline/Dave, and it read:

"All opiates also cause a hystamine release which can be interpreted as anxiety and mood changes."

I am wondering now if that is part of what I was experiencing with the other medication I was using. Im not really sure what a histimine release is, but what was happening to me was a feeling that I couldnt breathe properly, and it definitely fell into a category I would consider "Anxiety." So I guess thats another concern about this new medication---if I was experiencing that from a 'weaker' med, Im afraid it would be even moreso on this Oxycontin 10mg 2 times a day.

Shoreline/Dave--I would appreciate any input you have on that, especially on your comment about the anxiety. This is all a bit new to me, and oddly enough, I havent even taken any yet and Im already thinking that I would be better off on the old medicine so at least I know what to expect, despite the Ibuprofen/Tylenol problems. Even if this provides pain relief, Im already a little worried over the histamine effect giving me anxiety attacks while Im on it, and the anxiety lasting the full duration of the medicine.

Anyone with experiences on this, how it worked for them, and how long it took to adjust? I read a post with a question about MS Contin similar to my question, but that is a different medication so Im not sure how different the side effects would be.
BTW--what exactly is histamine release, and what does it do?? Also, Dave I just read your post on smoking and tomatoes, and im still cracking up as I write this!!

Last edited by Phlox; 10-07-2004 at 11:15 PM.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #4

khoff HB User

phlox -

A few things. First off, oxycontin is simple oxycodone (percocet) without the tylenol (acetominophen) part of it, and in a time release form (contin part). 10mg is the smallest they make. It is actually like taking a divided dose of oxycodone, 5mg after about an hour and the rest of the 5mg releases after about the 6th hour. Compared to vicoprufen, lortab, vicoden, etc.. it is a little stronger, I believe about a 1.5:1 ratio, but is not as overpowering as people believe. Unfortunately with all the negative stigma and press, this is what everyone is starting to hear and believe. It is not as sedating as say morphine, it is more of a "pro" drug rather than sedating one. Howvever, the side effects as with any drug are completely unique to the person taking it. I took percocet and that was given oxycontin (10mg) and found it lasted maybe 6-8 hours and the lesser as I got tolerant on it. It is the fear of it that does people in. Any pain medicine taken responsibly and to doctors orders are ok. I respectfully disagree with the former post by Margge about the addiction. If you have that addictive gene, and you abuse it, yes you can become addcted. But that is the same with any opiate from vicoden to fentynal to oxycontin.
I found the side effects were constipation (as with most opiates), a little dry mouth, initial fogginess of the mind, but that goes away. I found no nausea, sweats, etc...
At 10mg, you are starting at it's lowest dose and that is a good thing. I think you may find it can really help as long as you do NOT abuse it. It does not last as long as hyped so you may end up taking it BID or TID, or using something as a breakthru med. As written, do not crush, snort, etc the oxy and swallow whole, and you will be fine. Don't let the fear and stigma stop you from taking a good pain med.
I have found personally and with others, that the shallow breathing is often not from the drug, especially those at such low doses, but the fear of what may happen after taking it.
Personally, I think you will be fine on it. Just take one tab and see how it goes. I think you'll find it was all worry and not the drug. Your dose is the starting dose for those taking oxy. You will do fine !

Peace,
Ken

Old 10-08-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Phlox, Ken saved me a lot of writing. A hystamine release is a enzyme/ drug released by your body that binds to specific hystamine receptors when exposed to other chemicals or pollen, many substances can cause a hystamine release hence the need for antihystamines that block the relase of hystamines or block them from binding to the hystamine receptors.

Hystamines can cause runny nose, watery eyes, anxious feelings, itching nothing horendous and something that usually lessens when you become used to the med. Hydrocodne can cause the same problem , so can any med.

The easiest way to understand strenghth of medicine is to know that all opiates have the same potential for addiction,abuse and dependence is inevatable when used for a prolonged period. However when opiates are used strictly for pain and if you don't associate the initial warm fuzzie feeling you may have felt the first time you took hydrocodone with pain relief you should do fine. It's when people abuse, self medicate, mix drugs/alcohol to increase the high, which is all addictive behavior, Is when people run into trouble.

Hillbilly heroin doesn't mean Oxycontin is addictive as heroin. In fact there isn't one opiate that causes more dependence than the other when taken in equal doses. The gold standard to which all opaited are compared is morphine, It doesn't mean morphine is the strongest drug, It's just a way to compare drugs to each other.

Hydrocodone is about equal in strength to morphine, Oxycodone is about 50% stronger than Hydro or morphine. Dilaudid, which has been abused intra veinously for years and considered pharmacuetical grade heroin on the streets is 8 times stronger than morphine mg to mg. People have been injecting dilauadid for decades and when you inject or abuse any opiate the end result is pretty much the same.

If your taking 30 mgs of hydrocodone, It's just as strong as taking 20mgs of Instant release oxycodone or 30 mgs of morphine or 4 mgs of dilaudid. But no more addictive.

When an addict moves to IV use they want pure opiates that don't contain tylenol, But even then health concerns are thrown out the window. Crushing and injecting oxyContin causes necrosis of the surounding tissue, the fillers and binders can cause heart attack or strokes because their isn't a junkie out there that is purifying and removing all the fillers.

This is all the other good stuf addicts are injcting into their veins, info from the full prescribing instructions available at Purues web site.

The tablets contain the following
inactive ingredients: ammonio methacrylate copolymer, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium
stearate, polyethylene glycol 400, povidone, sodium hydroxide, sorbic acid, stearyl alcohol,talc, titanium dioxide, and triacetin.

The 10 mg tablets also contain: hydroxypropyl cellulose.
The 20 mg tablets also contain: polysorbate 80 and red iron oxide.
The 40 mg tablets also contain: polysorbate 80 and yellow iron oxide.
The 80 mg tablets also contain: FD&C blue No. 2, hydroxypropyl cellulose, and yellow ironoxide.
The 160 mg tablets also contains:FD&C blue No. 2 and polysorbate 80

So along with the oxycodone they are injecting they are also injecting Talc, cellulose "the base for most glue" sodium hydroxide "a cleaning agent like spic and span", Titanium dioxide "white paint pigment, "also a heavy metal" Polyethelene glucol 400 "antifreeze" Sorbic acid "another gum base and preservative"

This stuff turns to glue globs, caked up titanium dioxide and talc and even more dangerous Polyethelene glycol. "antifreeze" when injected into your blood stream. The amounts are so small they are harmless when taken orally but Everytime an oxy is crushed and injected, the addict is rolling the dice hoping a glob of filler composed of all kinds of nasty crap along with antifreeze directly into the veins doesn't kill them now or some time down the road when a glob of crud breaks loose and goes to their heart, lungs or brain.

More frm the FPI
Abuse of the crushed tablet poses a hazard of overdose and death. This risk is increased with concurrent abuse of alcohol and other substances. With parenteral abuse, "IV" the tablet
excipients, especially talc, can be expected to result in local tissue necrosis, infection,
pulmonary granulomas, and increased risk of endocarditis and valvular heart injury.
Parenteral "IV" drug abuse is commonly associated with transmission of infectious diseases
such as hepatitis and HIV.

But addicts are so clever they think they have somehow removed all the fillers that make up the bulk of each tablet. The risks are ignored and they inject all this crap anyway.

The whole Hillbilly Heroin thing is just news hype.

Hydrocodone is the most abused opiate in the US, But because of the tylenol in the different version like Vicodin,Lortab Norco etc, the apap somewhat limits the dose due to tylenol toxicity and would be lethal if injected due to the same talc and non degradable fillers injected into the blood stream.

However most addicts aren't thinking about their health when they swallow 5 10 mg lortab and recieve 250% more tyleneol than anyone should ever take at one time. Or inject Oxycontin that conatins more fillers than actual Oxycodone.

They destroy their liver a little more each day, Ignore being sick from what they are doing and continue untill they die, get arested or if they are lucky enough that someone interveens, they may survive, but who knows when a glob of talk/celluse and Ttanium dioxide will dislodge from the plaque it creates in the vein walls and cause a heart attack or a stroke.

Enough about addiction. Addiction is destructive behavior based on psychologic disfunction that turns getting high into the most important thing in their life. Addiction is destructive.

Physical dependence is just a consequence and what is destructive about improving someones ability to walk, managing pain and improving quality of life. Sure doesn't sound destructive.

Anyone that takes opiates for a prolonged perriod whether it be Hydrocodone, Oxycodone in any form, morphine, dilaudid, fentanyl, demerol,methadone, whatever, will become physically dependent. Meaning if they discontinue these meds abruptly they will experience physical withdrawal.

The big difference is Addiction=destructive beahvior regardless of all health risks.
Meds used to improve quality of life and ability to functin are completely oposite from addiction. The rate of abuse among pain patinets is much lower than the rate of abuse of all substances in the general public.

So wheter it's oxycontin, morphine or the duragesic patch, you will become physically dependnt, but addiction is something completely different and based on destructive neahvior in spite of health risks simply to chase a high they can only achieve by steadily increasing their dose.

PM patient do develop tolerance to side effects or the high, but you don't need to feel high to recieve the benfit of pain relief.

Most opiates cause a hystamine reponse, you see the classic Heroin addict scrathing and rubbing their face after injestion of a large enough dose of opiates to get high. Each time they get high it's going to take more to achive that same high due to tolerance of the side effects, the high feeling is oneof the side effects but is one of the first side effect to deminish, that's why an addicts dose has to keep increasing to get the same high.

It's a never ending cycle of increased dose, increased risk from all the fillers and impurities in these pills and no concern for their own well being let alone anyone else. Getting high becomes more important than the house payment or putting food on the table or going to work.

You just have to understand the differnce between destructive addiction and simple physical dependence. At any point if your pain could be relieved you could taper back the dose and eventually completely discontinue use and never look back, because you were only taking it for pain. If you start finding other reasons to increase your dose and start enjoying the feeling, then you may want to check yourself and look further down the road your heading.

Are you really stepping up to a more addictive drug, Not really, a 10 mg oxyC creates a lower serum level than a 10 mg Norco because the 10 mg oxy C releases 5 mgs about 45 minutes after taking it and the other 5mgs around the 6th hour.

If you were to compare taking 10 mgs of hydro every 4 hours to 10 mgs of OxyC every 8 hours your basically comparing a 10mg norco and a 5mg percocet every 4 hours. The Although OXy is stronger mg to mg, Hydro isn't twice as strong acording to most conversion charts, but some people will respond differently to different meds. I wold bet you get better relief from a 10mg norco every 4 hours than you would 10mgs of OxyC every 12. First it doesn't last 12 hours, second , it's not enough Oxy.
Good luck, Dave

Old 10-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #6

Marg001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoff
phlox -

A few things. First off, oxycontin is simple oxycodone (percocet) without the tylenol (acetominophen) part of it, and in a time release form (contin part). 10mg is the smallest they make. It is actually like taking a divided dose of oxycodone, 5mg after about an hour and the rest of the 5mg releases after about the 6th hour. Compared to vicoprufen, lortab, vicoden, etc.. it is a little stronger, I believe about a 1.5:1 ratio, but is not as overpowering as people believe. Unfortunately with all the negative stigma and press, this is what everyone is starting to hear and believe. It is not as sedating as say morphine, it is more of a "pro" drug rather than sedating one. Howvever, the side effects as with any drug are completely unique to the person taking it. I took percocet and that was given oxycontin (10mg) and found it lasted maybe 6-8 hours and the lesser as I got tolerant on it. It is the fear of it that does people in. Any pain medicine taken responsibly and to doctors orders are ok. I respectfully disagree with the former post by Margge about the addiction. If you have that addictive gene, and you abuse it, yes you can become addcted. But that is the same with any opiate from vicoden to fentynal to oxycontin.
I found the side effects were constipation (as with most opiates), a little dry mouth, initial fogginess of the mind, but that goes away. I found no nausea, sweats, etc...
At 10mg, you are starting at it's lowest dose and that is a good thing. I think you may find it can really help as long as you do NOT abuse it. It does not last as long as hyped so you may end up taking it BID or TID, or using something as a breakthru med. As written, do not crush, snort, etc the oxy and swallow whole, and you will be fine. Don't let the fear and stigma stop you from taking a good pain med.
I have found personally and with others, that the shallow breathing is often not from the drug, especially those at such low doses, but the fear of what may happen after taking it.
Personally, I think you will be fine on it. Just take one tab and see how it goes. I think you'll find it was all worry and not the drug. Your dose is the starting dose for those taking oxy. You will do fine !

Peace,
Ken
To Khoff:

First of all I did not mean what I said about the addiction thing, obviously if anyone abuses pain meds then they are addicted. I have had lots of experience on pain meds and also know many people that are ccp's. All I have heard is bad things about Oxycontin, but everyone is different. What may help one person may not help another. Right know I am on a Fentenyl patch and Oxycodone for breakthrough pain and I find that a heck of a lot better that being on the Oxycontin, it was not taking my pain away for the specific time it was suppose to. So I guess what I am saying it not just to you to anyone who is reading this is that everyone has to find out what pain meds are right for them, everyone is different. And to Phloxx, I really hope that everything works out for you and you find the pain relief that you need!! Take good care!!!
MARGIE
Now almost 1 year having chronic lower back pain due to Spondylolesthesis, and DDD, and also still have a 31 degree curse to back.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #7

Marg001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline
Hey Phlox, Ken saved me a lot of writing. A hystamine release is a enzyme/ drug released by your body that binds to specific hystamine receptors when exposed to other chemicals or pollen, many substances can cause a hystamine release hence the need for antihystamines that block the relase of hystamines or block them from binding to the hystamine receptors.

Hystamines can cause runny nose, watery eyes, anxious feelings, itching nothing horendous and something that usually lessens when you become used to the med. Hydrocodne can cause the same problem , so can any med.

The easiest way to understand strenghth of medicine is to know that all opiates have the same potential for addiction,abuse and dependence is inevatable when used for a prolonged period. However when opiates are used strictly for pain and if you don't associate the initial warm fuzzie feeling you may have felt the first time you took hydrocodone with pain relief you should do fine. It's when people abuse, self medicate, mix drugs/alcohol to increase the high, which is all addictive behavior, Is when people run into trouble.

Hillbilly heroin doesn't mean Oxycontin is addictive as heroin. In fact there isn't one opiate that causes more dependence than the other when taken in equal doses. The gold standard to which all opaited are compared is morphine, It doesn't mean morphine is the strongest drug, It's just a way to compare drugs to each other.

Hydrocodone is about equal in strength to morphine, Oxycodone is about 50% stronger than Hydro or morphine. Dilaudid, which has been abused intra veinously for years and considered pharmacuetical grade heroin on the streets is 8 times stronger than morphine mg to mg. People have been injecting dilauadid for decades and when you inject or abuse any opiate the end result is pretty much the same.

If your taking 30 mgs of hydrocodone, It's just as strong as taking 20mgs of Instant release oxycodone or 30 mgs of morphine or 4 mgs of dilaudid. But no more addictive.

When an addict moves to IV use they want pure opiates that don't contain tylenol, But even then health concerns are thrown out the window. Crushing and injecting oxyContin causes necrosis of the surounding tissue, the fillers and binders can cause heart attack or strokes because their isn't a junkie out there that is purifying and removing all the fillers.

This is all the other good stuf addicts are injcting into their veins, info from the full prescribing instructions available at Purues web site.

The tablets contain the following
inactive ingredients: ammonio methacrylate copolymer, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium
stearate, polyethylene glycol 400, povidone, sodium hydroxide, sorbic acid, stearyl alcohol,talc, titanium dioxide, and triacetin.

The 10 mg tablets also contain: hydroxypropyl cellulose.
The 20 mg tablets also contain: polysorbate 80 and red iron oxide.
The 40 mg tablets also contain: polysorbate 80 and yellow iron oxide.
The 80 mg tablets also contain: FD&C blue No. 2, hydroxypropyl cellulose, and yellow ironoxide.
The 160 mg tablets also contains:FD&C blue No. 2 and polysorbate 80

So along with the oxycodone they are injecting they are also injecting Talc, cellulose "the base for most glue" sodium hydroxide "a cleaning agent like spic and span", Titanium dioxide "white paint pigment, "also a heavy metal" Polyethelene glucol 400 "antifreeze" Sorbic acid "another gum base and preservative"

This stuff turns to glue globs, caked up titanium dioxide and talc and even more dangerous Polyethelene glycol. "antifreeze" when injected into your blood stream. The amounts are so small they are harmless when taken orally but Everytime an oxy is crushed and injected, the addict is rolling the dice hoping a glob of filler composed of all kinds of nasty crap along with antifreeze directly into the veins doesn't kill them now or some time down the road when a glob of crud breaks loose and goes to their heart, lungs or brain.

More frm the FPI
Abuse of the crushed tablet poses a hazard of overdose and death. This risk is increased with concurrent abuse of alcohol and other substances. With parenteral abuse, "IV" the tablet
excipients, especially talc, can be expected to result in local tissue necrosis, infection,
pulmonary granulomas, and increased risk of endocarditis and valvular heart injury.
Parenteral "IV" drug abuse is commonly associated with transmission of infectious diseases
such as hepatitis and HIV.

But addicts are so clever they think they have somehow removed all the fillers that make up the bulk of each tablet. The risks are ignored and they inject all this crap anyway.

The whole Hillbilly Heroin thing is just news hype.

Hydrocodone is the most abused opiate in the US, But because of the tylenol in the different version like Vicodin,Lortab Norco etc, the apap somewhat limits the dose due to tylenol toxicity and would be lethal if injected due to the same talc and non degradable fillers injected into the blood stream.

However most addicts aren't thinking about their health when they swallow 5 10 mg lortab and recieve 250% more tyleneol than anyone should ever take at one time. Or inject Oxycontin that conatins more fillers than actual Oxycodone.

They destroy their liver a little more each day, Ignore being sick from what they are doing and continue untill they die, get arested or if they are lucky enough that someone interveens, they may survive, but who knows when a glob of talk/celluse and Ttanium dioxide will dislodge from the plaque it creates in the vein walls and cause a heart attack or a stroke.

Enough about addiction. Addiction is destructive behavior based on psychologic disfunction that turns getting high into the most important thing in their life. Addiction is destructive.

Physical dependence is just a consequence and what is destructive about improving someones ability to walk, managing pain and improving quality of life. Sure doesn't sound destructive.

Anyone that takes opiates for a prolonged perriod whether it be Hydrocodone, Oxycodone in any form, morphine, dilaudid, fentanyl, demerol,methadone, whatever, will become physically dependent. Meaning if they discontinue these meds abruptly they will experience physical withdrawal.

The big difference is Addiction=destructive beahvior regardless of all health risks.
Meds used to improve quality of life and ability to functin are completely oposite from addiction. The rate of abuse among pain patinets is much lower than the rate of abuse of all substances in the general public.

So wheter it's oxycontin, morphine or the duragesic patch, you will become physically dependnt, but addiction is something completely different and based on destructive neahvior in spite of health risks simply to chase a high they can only achieve by steadily increasing their dose.

PM patient do develop tolerance to side effects or the high, but you don't need to feel high to recieve the benfit of pain relief.

Most opiates cause a hystamine reponse, you see the classic Heroin addict scrathing and rubbing their face after injestion of a large enough dose of opiates to get high. Each time they get high it's going to take more to achive that same high due to tolerance of the side effects, the high feeling is oneof the side effects but is one of the first side effect to deminish, that's why an addicts dose has to keep increasing to get the same high.

It's a never ending cycle of increased dose, increased risk from all the fillers and impurities in these pills and no concern for their own well being let alone anyone else. Getting high becomes more important than the house payment or putting food on the table or going to work.

You just have to understand the differnce between destructive addiction and simple physical dependence. At any point if your pain could be relieved you could taper back the dose and eventually completely discontinue use and never look back, because you were only taking it for pain. If you start finding other reasons to increase your dose and start enjoying the feeling, then you may want to check yourself and look further down the road your heading.

Are you really stepping up to a more addictive drug, Not really, a 10 mg oxyC creates a lower serum level than a 10 mg Norco because the 10 mg oxy C releases 5 mgs about 45 minutes after taking it and the other 5mgs around the 6th hour.

If you were to compare taking 10 mgs of hydro every 4 hours to 10 mgs of OxyC every 8 hours your basically comparing a 10mg norco and a 5mg percocet every 4 hours. The Although OXy is stronger mg to mg, Hydro isn't twice as strong acording to most conversion charts, but some people will respond differently to different meds. I wold bet you get better relief from a 10mg norco every 4 hours than you would 10mgs of OxyC every 12. First it doesn't last 12 hours, second , it's not enough Oxy.
Good luck, Dave
Hi Shoreline,

Long time nor hear, have not been on the boards lately, too busy trying to get the pain under control. Thanks for clearing that up with the Oxycontin thing. I guess I have just heard a lot of negative things about it and it didn't help me at all, so all I want to say is you are a wealth of info!! Take good care and I hope you are doing well!!
MARG

Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Question Re: OxyContin 10mg Question/Info

Dave & Ken---Thank you so much for your posts, they really helped me! I think youre right, I was a little too apprehensive about it. Just the mention of morphine kind of made me feel weird about it, but after reading your posts Im going to give it a fair shake.

If the pain relief doesnt last long enough, I will have to talk to my doctor, but hopefully it is b/c their office is on vacation until the following week. I dont want to have to call whoever their replacement is, for the reasons alot of ppl mention in here---the attitude of some doctors towards narcotics in general. Besides, I wouldnt want to have to go thru all the backstory just to tell him this doesnt last long enough, so Im going to see how it works out for the next few days to give my body time to adjust to it.

But the main thing is I dont feel afraid of it anymore, for which I thank you both VERY MUCH for the insight!!! At first I was afraid to even try it, but now I know its the lowest dose possible so even if the symptoms affect me, I can bear in mind that Im FINE, thanks to you.

And one last question, which I would ask my doctor but yesterday they left for vacation, so Ill ask you two since you are obviously in the know!! From what you wrote, this is the lowest dose (10mg OxyContin), and sometimes doesnt even provide the pain relief of the med's I was on before. So if by the 8th or 9th hour I am having pain again, is it ok to take another pill? So at the most I would be taking one every 8-9 hours, but nothing less than then? Other than what Ive mentioned about being afraid of it in the first place, my other fear would be that I would be stuck on this and it doesnt work. I didnt really like the idea of trying a new medicine while my regular office was gone, but they were just kind of like "youll be fine." Im hoping to just avoid the situation altogether and it works for me, but with my tolerance to the other meds I was on (VicoProfen, Lortab) taken into account, and Daves comparison of the OC to the Norco, Im a little afraid Ill run into what others mentioned about it not working the full 12 hours. I am supposed to take it twice a day, every twelve hours, but would every 8-9 be ok if it doesnt last the full 12? Or I also still have some Vicoprofen left over that I could take until its time to take the next OC, if you think that would be better? Just trying to get an idea of how to deal with the situation if it comes up, until I can talk to my doctor.

Hopefully it wont be an issue, but if it is, thank you for all of the advice! Thank you again for your excellent replies, I really do appreciate it!! Often I find that I learn more here than I do at my doctors office or the pharmacy, since they always just give you the short answers. Take Care and thanks again!

Last edited by Phlox; 10-09-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #9

Marg001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlox
Thank you Marg! From what Ive been reading that seems to be a common complaint--that they dont last the full 12 hours. However for right now Im mainly concerned with the side effects, since this will be new to me and Im a bit apprehensive about something that seems like a "bump up" from what I was taking. If the actual pain relief is not there, well, I will deal with that if it happens I guess and call my doctor.

I was just reading a post from Shoreline/Dave, and it read:

"All opiates also cause a hystamine release which can be interpreted as anxiety and mood changes."

I am wondering now if that is part of what I was experiencing with the other medication I was using. Im not really sure what a histimine release is, but what was happening to me was a feeling that I couldnt breathe properly, and it definitely fell into a category I would consider "Anxiety." So I guess thats another concern about this new medication---if I was experiencing that from a 'weaker' med, Im afraid it would be even moreso on this Oxycontin 10mg 2 times a day.

Shoreline/Dave--I would appreciate any input you have on that, especially on your comment about the anxiety. This is all a bit new to me, and oddly enough, I havent even taken any yet and Im already thinking that I would be better off on the old medicine so at least I know what to expect, despite the Ibuprofen/Tylenol problems. Even if this provides pain relief, Im already a little worried over the histamine effect giving me anxiety attacks while Im on it, and the anxiety lasting the full duration of the medicine.

Anyone with experiences on this, how it worked for them, and how long it took to adjust? I read a post with a question about MS Contin similar to my question, but that is a different medication so Im not sure how different the side effects would be.
BTW--what exactly is histamine release, and what does it do?? Also, Dave I just read your post on smoking and tomatoes, and im still cracking up as I write this!!
Hi Phlox,
Just getting back to you, sorry I couldn't sooner , had a bad day. Anyways Dave(Shoreline) has really good advice! I have taken his on more than one account. As for the anxiety and the histamine effect, I guess I was having just about everything with that drug, unfortunately. I found when I was first taking it it was giving me mood swings, but mostly depression. I was itching and scratching and just overall it even did not last that long with me, but then again I have only part of my intestines due to Ulcerative Colitis, sooo some meds I don't seem to absorb properly. Like I said before in one of the other thread that everyone is different and it may work for you, but I have to agree with Dave about what he said in the other thread. I just wanted to get back to you and just let you know what I have been through. The only reason why I said that its been Nicknamed Hillbilly Heroin, is that I guess that people that are into the heroin like the Oxycontin.
Anyways take good care and I wish you well!!
MARG

Old 10-09-2004, 01:14 AM   #10
(female)

chriztene HB User

Dave,

Wow, your post are always so informative and interesting to read. I had no idea about the fillers used in medication and the damage they can do to a persons body. Your post should be handed out at every high school to educate our youth about the risks and potential dangers these drugs can cause as well as what they are doing to their body when they abuse any kind of drugs.

It was also interesting to learn Hydrocodone is the most abused med and yet I never hear or read a news story about those statistics. To listen to the media tell it Oxy is the only medication on the market which is abused..I never have understood the hillbilly herion statement so thanks for clearing that up as well

You should publish a 'survival guide' for chronic pain sufferers and a separate manual for some physicians - pm 101. A big thank you for all of the fabulous information, Dave.

I have been on oxy for over 2 years and have had excellent pain relief - only experiencing a few side affects with most going away over a 2-3 week period of time. I have found this medication to be extremely effective in managing my chronic pain. It's to bad oxy gets such a bad rap in the media and as Dave said all of the opiates have a potential for abuse.

Good Luck

Old 10-10-2004, 08:54 AM   #11

kksgirls HB User

Phlox,

I'll take this one on the 'if the med (oxycontin) wears off after 8 or 9 hrs, is it ok to take another pill?'. I would say no, only because you should follow the docs orders, and if it's px'd as 1 every 12 hrs, then that is what you should do.

If it isn't working, you should make a note of it. Keep a Pain Diary (I'm sure if you look, there are examples w/in HB's Pain Mgmt on how to do that) that shows when you took yourmed, how it worked, what you were doing ie laundry, driving, walking up/down stairs, etc. When pain began creeping up. What levels (on the 1-10 scale, or whatever your doc uses) your pain was at at different times of day.

Then, take this w/ you to your next appt. This way ~ you are being proactive in your Pain Management. Your doc w/b able to look at these notes, add them to your file ~ and see where he/she wants to go w/ themediction. Perhaps by increasing the dosage. Or Adding a Breakthrough medication for when the pain 'spikes'. Or possibly even trying another med that might work better for you.

At this point in your treatment, there's alot of room to 'experiment' ~ but, only safely w/ your doctor and on his orders.

Good luck. I hope this helps a little.

As is very apparent ~ Shoreline is a Great person to go to when you have questions about meds! I just referred a g/f to him about her methadone dosing!

Karen

Last edited by kksgirls; 10-10-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Closed Thread