It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 04:28 AM   #1
Inactive

atibbert HB User
How much Ibuprofen is too much??

I had an appointment with a new doctor for my TMJ and feel like I am starting at square one all over again. He wants me to take 600-800mg of Ibuprofen several times a day and use vidocin as a break through medication instead of my primary mediction. He also took me off of my muscle relaxer and put me on amitriptyline 25mg to promote better sleep with less clenching and grinding. I looked up this drug and it has some nasty side effects. I had been taking 400-600mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day with Norco 10/325 and getting very little relief. So how much Ibuprofen is too much?? My stomach is already in an uproar over the ibuprofen I have been taking. Also what is the deal with amitriptyline? Anyone use this for pain relief?

Amy

Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: How much Ibuprofen is too much??

Hey Amy, They have done studies about the effectiveness of Ibuprofen, What they found is the most relief your going to get is from 2400mgs, more does not give you more relief. It has a ceiling on the amount of anelgesia it can provide and taking more will just tear your stomache up more and possibbly cause kidney damage.

There are anti inflamatories that aren't quite as harsh, Celebrex and Bextra, however alot of insurance companies want documentation to approve the use of Bextra, due to cost. Documantation from my wifes GI doc as far as stomach problems like Ulcers, gerds, reflux, Hiatal hernia etc,. Had to be provided for my wife to obtain bextra. Fortunately my wife was provided samples for the 3 weeks it took Anthem to aprove a med that wouldn't cause additional irrtation to her existing stomach problems.

Wit the costs of meds skyrocketing, more and more meds need pre-authorization.

As far as the non cox 11 inhibitors, IBU worked better than any of the other Nsaids as far as providing pain relief. It does see eem silly to see a doc that prescribes OTC meds. You would probabaly find 600mgs 4 times a day would give you beter coverage and be easier on your stomach than 800 3 times a day.

Elevill is also a prety old and safe antiD as far as using it to promote better sleep, It also helps some people with nerve pain, If you find it helps with pain, your doc may be willing to provide day time doses as the half life is only 8 hours. My mother used it for phantom pain after a mastectomy and got better relief from it than from Vicodin.

Many docs prefer the antiD's to promote sleep instead of the true sleeping meds that have Hypnotic effects and reduce the ability to create new memories. You also don't develop the tolerance you would with a normal sleeping meds, Most are suggested for no more than 10 days use because you simply become tolerant to the effects and then dependent on the med for sleep.

Elevil "amitriptyline" at 25 mgs HS "bedtime" realy isn't a large dose and the most notable side effects is weight gain. But that can be controlled by simply catching yourself while your looking for that sugar fix to satisfy the sweat and carb cravings.

Good luck and I'm sorry your still having a hard time finding treatment up in Richmond. Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Inactive

atibbert HB User

Thanks Shoreline,
I am scared to death with the large doses of ibuprofen. I'm glad to see the amitriptyline is relatively safe. Reading the side effects terrified me. I feel like I am square one again. The doc did fix my mouth guard and that seemed to help with the muscle pain from grinding and clenching jus after one night with it. But now I am left with bad ear pain that has been masked for so long with the muscle spasms, I almost forgot it was there. I am considering seeing someone up in Boston when we go there in a week and half from now. That is where I am from and really wish I was getting my treatment there instead of Richmond. I am trying to keep an open mind with this new doc but just completely melted down when I left there feeling like once again my pain was not being adequately addressed, nor my symptoms of grinding noise in the joint or pinching feeling, the numbness of my tongue and lips. I got through half my list of symptoms when he said he had heard enough. He did not even look or ask about my current medication and what has and has not worked for me in the past. He had his mind made up about what he thought would be best before even talking to me. I go back to see him in 3 weeks so I guess I will just have to grit it out until then.

Thanks again
Amy

Old 10-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I was on amitriptyline for nerve pain and it did help me. An extra benefit was that I slept better.

Closed Thread