It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User
norco vs percocet

Does anyone know if there is a difference in strenght between
Norco 7.5/325 and percocet 5/325
Which would be stronger?

Old 11-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

LibraBalancer HB User
Re: norco vs percocet

Norco is hydrocodone and percocet is oxycodone...both w/ aceta. (the good thing about norco 7.5 is the low dose of Aceta)

The norco 7.5 is 7.5 mg's of hydro, and of course that leaves oxycodone 5mg's for the percocet. Oxycodone is stronger in it's effects than hydrocodone, but that's almost a thin line. But mg for mg there prescribed the same (ex. 5-7.5-10)
But deff. taking a 7.5 mg Norco/Vicodin is a little stronger than a single 5mg percocet. For me personaly, with the pain i've experienced....5 mg's alone of oxycodone or hydrocodone are nothing. I do not notice any pain relief or diff. in drug. But will SLIGHTLY w/ a 7.5 mg tablet of percocet, but not 7.5 mg of Hydrocodone. I used to be on Vicodin ES (7.5 - 750mg) but I had to take 1and1/2 to feel any relief.

-James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

mom2sjv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraBalancer View Post
Norco is hydrocodone and percocet is oxycodone...both w/ aceta. (the good thing about norco 7.5 is the low dose of Aceta)

The norco 7.5 is 7.5 mg's of hydro, and of course that leaves oxycodone 5mg's for the percocet. Oxycodone is stronger in it's effects than hydrocodone, but that's almost a thin line. But mg for mg there prescribed the same (ex. 5-7.5-10)
But deff. taking a 7.5 mg Norco/Vicodin is a little stronger than a single 5mg percocet. For me personaly, with the pain i've experienced....5 mg's alone of oxycodone or hydrocodone are nothing. I do not notice any pain relief or diff. in drug. But will SLIGHTLY w/ a 7.5 mg tablet of percocet, but not 7.5 mg of Hydrocodone. I used to be on Vicodin ES (7.5 - 750mg) but I had to take 1and1/2 to feel any relief.

-James
My daughter just had a hernia operation 2 days ago. The dr prescribed the Oxycodone, (which did NOT help with the pain), 1-2 pills every 6 hours and kept her sick to her stomach so that she couldn't even keep liquid down. I finally gave her one of my Norco 7.5/325 she was actually able to eat some soup and drink some water and have it stay down. Also her pain level went down so that she could actually move around a little bit. A person I go to church with said Percocet (oxycodone) is actually a mild pain reliever like trimadol, but to be honest I think its the acetaminaphin that is in them that is causing her the problem. Today she tried just a Vicodin 7.5/750 and she is again sick to her stomach. Would like to know if anyone has had this problem

Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
(female)

MgmtBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sjv View Post
My daughter just had a hernia operation 2 days ago. The dr prescribed the Oxycodone, (which did NOT help with the pain), 1-2 pills every 6 hours and kept her sick to her stomach so that she couldn't even keep liquid down. I finally gave her one of my Norco 7.5/325 she was actually able to eat some soup and drink some water and have it stay down. Also her pain level went down so that she could actually move around a little bit. A person I go to church with said Percocet (oxycodone) is actually a mild pain reliever like trimadol, but to be honest I think its the acetaminaphin that is in them that is causing her the problem. Today she tried just a Vicodin 7.5/750 and she is again sick to her stomach. Would like to know if anyone has had this problem
Hi there! Just to clarify--Percocet contains Oxycodone which is a very strong pain reliever--much stronger than Tramadol. I have heard of people experiencing nausea and it's possible that it is from acetaminophen. I would ask your doctor if it's possible to switch from Percocet to plain Oxycodone. If that's not possible inquire about anti-nausea meds. Hope she feels better soon!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Often people get nauseous not from the percocet or norco, it's from the rapid influx of the medication into the system which makes them a bit nauseous. Acetaminophen is not usually a stomach irritant. That's why it's so popular. Other medications such as aspirin, aleve/naproxen, advil/ibuprofen can cause stomach upset.

Percocet (oxycodone) is a stronger drug than Norco (hydrocodone) and that could be the reason she is getting sick. You can call the pharmacy and see if the percocet can be split in half and given to her that way.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello. I used to take percocet 5/325 and then due to tolerance my doctor increased it to 10/325 for a short while and then it suddently stopped working! Looks like I have a very high tolerance to narcotic pain medication.
Only 40mg oxycontin works for me. It's been real quick.

There is also oxycontin? that doesn't have acetaminophen in it and it doesnt' cause any side effects, not to me anyway. I believe it's better than percocet or vicodin which are short acting.

Tramadol is nothing. it did nothing for this chronic pain. Percocet is stronger. The only problem it all depends on your body tolerance. That's what doctors have today to offer.

There are also VITAMINS which I've found really HELPFUL. If you are interested I can post it here for you so you can try them.

Let us know how you doing...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

I read more posts about these 2 drugs, their differences, potency, etc., than all the other ones put together. This is probably due to the fact that they are 2 of the most Rx'ed pain meds by docs that are still willing to give scripts for pain relief. I have had dental issues for 2 years ending up with extractions, abcesses, mouth ulcers, sleepless nights, and having no insurance (like so many others), it has been hard to get any consistent relief from a doctor. I usually have to wait until it becomes bad enough to go to a dentist and then another extraction or more occurs. I have seen 2 dentists and both will only Rx a few Vicodin for post-extraction pain, and even then they don't offer it unless you ask. "Take Ibuprofen" is what I hear from them unless I demand something else. I hear them talking about the "new, pain-free dentisrty" that is being practiced now (?) Pain free multiple tooth extractions? I had 4 teeth extracted 2 weeks ago and had to nearly beg for pain meds. He gave me 12 Darvocets. What is going on with this? In the past, it was a given that a Rx for 20-25 Percocets went out the door with you when teeth got taken out, now it's "take some Motrin". Do they think the pain from extractions has gone down? This seems inhumane to me. There are docs that simply tell you "I don't prescribe anything stronger than Vicodin and that's rare". With pain being a vital sign, isn't this unethical and a retraction of the oath they swore to get their patients out of discomfort as a #1 priority? I'm sorry I got off the subject but regarding these 2 opiates, it seems most folks get a bit more queasy from oxycodone vs. hydrocodone, but usually it becomes a person-to-person case scenario as to which is better, stronger, etc. It seems the main issue with them is the oxy is a C-II drug, the hydro is a C-III. They will usually opt for the lesser class drug. Jackbeanstalk

Closed Thread