It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 07:05 AM   #1

Madison30 HB User
Epidural Injections and cost

Hi all

I was just wanting to get some replies on the costs of epidural injections you have received to compare to mine.

When i lived in Illionois i had 4 ESI's at about 1,500 so i thought that was about the going rate but since i've moved to Indiana and am going to a new PM his price is way off what i thought it was going to be.

I received a letter and a check from BC/BS saying that my benefits had been reached for the year. I then received a letter from my PM saying i owed them 4,000 for my ESI i about had a heart attack!

First of all i felt pressured into having one when i didn't really want another one because i didn't get any relief from the other ones and i felt i had already tried that route. Basically he made me feel if i was really in pain i should do it or else i wasn't really in pain.

I've never heard of an ESI costing 4,000 dollars for god's sake. My neurosurgeon's fee for my microdiscectomy/laminectomy was 4,000!!!!

I'm so happy with my pain management now that i'm on methadone that i don't want to sqwabble but i feel like they are completly money hungry and take advantage of people that are willing to do just about anything to get some pain relief.

Another thing that i have a question about is picking up monthly scripts. At my last PM you called in about 4 days before you were due for your refill and they gave you the time and day to come pick the script up and they had it at the front desk waiting and you were not charged just to pick the script up. If you were in the middle of a med change and had a problem and needed to see the doc you make an appt. for that. At my new PM i can't just pick up my script.......i have to wait for an hour or more for the doc to come in only for me to say everything is fine and for him to hand me my script and pay 70 dollars for it. I think that's ridiculous I don't feel like i should have to pay that unless i really need to be seen by the doc, not just to get my script refilled if i have no problems.

I would appreciate any replies as to how your PM handles this and what's the ballpark your ESI's have been........i feel as if i'm being robbed.

Thanks for listening to the rambling

The Following User Says Thank You to Madison30 For This Useful Post:
CMTICMTI (08-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

LibraBalancer HB User
Thumbs up Re: Epidural Injections and cost

Hey Madison,
My Pain Mngmt. is covered by insurance 100%, BUT...I do know how much it's been costing ME. My insurance agent told me once that my first ESI had cost around 1100-1500. Which I think is what you said you used to pay. 4000 dollars sounds INSANE! And the medicine at my office is also call at least 72 hrs. before your medicine runs out. You just talk to the nurse and she does a phone consaltation to see if adjustments need to be made and then you set a time to pick it up. You don't have to pay to pick up the refill. Infact I just finished my 3rd ESI last weeks and I was told I didn't need to make an appt a mnth later, but rather a few mnths if I don't feel better from the ESI's, that I could come in for an eval., but in the meantime if I need more medicine to just call and it's no problem. Which shoked me, I at least thought they would want the money for each refill, say a visit. But I feel I am at a very kind and caring office, that much I do know. Good luck...

-James

Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 AM   #3

Madison30 HB User
Re: Epidural Injections and cost

Thanks so much for the replies. Glad to know i'm not totally off my rocker LOL

I thought that when i moved to Indy my prospects of finding a good PM close to the one i had in Illinois would be a fairly easy task but i was soooooooooo wrong. I'm having to basically take what i can get at the moment.

Just found out my hubby is getting layed off in 2 weeks so then we won't have our BC/BS anymore unless we want to pay some astronomical amount we can't afford. So, i'll probably get dropped by my PM because he doesn't take patients w/o insurance. Nice of his job to plan on the lay off one week before x-mas.

Enough boo-hooin, guess i better start flippin through the phone book.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

Madison I'm so sorry to hear about your husband being layed off fron his job and you losing your health insurance. It seems like this is happening to alot of people now a days. What is happening to this country. It drives me crazy to think of all of us that don't have a job and can't afford insurance and I watched a show about the rich people And their planes and millions of dollars and they got a tax break so they can buy another plane..This country is going in the wrong direction...

Old 12-10-2004, 06:36 AM   #5

Madison30 HB User

Thanks for the response Terri

It's always nice to hear a sympathetic word. How are things going your way?

What doesn't kill ya makes you stronger so right about now i should try out for Ms.Olympia LOL

Closed Thread