It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
(male)

JQP HB User
6000 mg of Tylenol???????

I went to see a new Dr. today for the pain I am haveing in my wrist dew to a severed median nerve andhe told me to just keep taking the Tylenol because he thought that it would work the best. I have been taking 4000 mg a day for about a month now. He even told me that I could take up to 6000 mg a day. Dose this sound right to anyone?

Old 12-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
(male)

Streetcar HB User
Re: 6000 mg of Tylenol???????

Hey JQP,

Not only NO, but heck no. Directions on the bottle say not more than 1000mg in a single dose and no more than eight pills per day, that would be 4000mgs per day. If you would be using the med for on a continous daily basis that doseage should be cut in half, so no more than 2000mgs per day if taken on a regular basis. That does not even take into account the use of alcohol. Some people have a glass of wine with their dinner or whatever. 6000 mgs of tylonol daily, by itself, will ruin your liver and if you drink any alcohol what-so-ever it greatly increases the likelihood of liver damage.

Ken

Neuromas, Diverticulosus, IBS-C/P, Esophageal Spasms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #3

jbot HB User

I`m not a dr but i would advise you to look for yet another one. Tylenol is not good for the liver when taken in large doses for extended length of time. Also if you take other drugs that also effect the liver like Lipitor that is used for high cholestrol. I would take the list of meds including the tylenol that you are taking plus the dosage to my druggest and ask him if he thinks this is a safe dosage. Good luck to you and hope you get some pain relief. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
Exclamation Re: 6000 mg of Tylenol???????

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your doctor is a complete jerk and incompetent, at least on this point. As the previous poster stated, the max single dose is 1000 mg and the absolute upper max daily dose as recommeneded by anyone and everyone from the manufacturers to the FDA to the American Society of Nephrology/Hepatology to the World Health Organization to the CDC is 4000 mg during short term use to 2000 mg daily during extended use. 6000 mg is way above and beyond what is safe for anyone regardless of liver function, or alcohol consumption. DO NOT take more than the max amounts quoted by the posters on this thread regardless of your pain or what this doctor is telling you. I think it may be time to find a new doctor, with more current information, at least in regards to pain control.

Last edited by wirry1422; 12-13-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I agree, move onto another doc before this one kills you.Yikes!!if this doc is not aware of the possible devistating consequences of overdosing tylenol,god only knows what other information he is not aware of.I just cannot believe that any doc would recommend going above the safe limit of any medication.Please move on to a doc who actually knows medicine.this guy IS scarey.marcia

Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

Please do not take that much tylenol!!! I have liver problems and I would not wish them on anyone. It is horrible to live with. Tylenol can damage the liver so bad. I would listen to everyone else and find a new doctor.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #7
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Yikes, please listen to everyone here and not that dr! I take Norco, hydro/tylenol daily and long term and I have been told repeatedly not to take more than 1500 DAILY since I am on it long term. What a dumb dr!

Karen

Old 12-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

find another doctor and fast. I read where a man took too much in one week and died because of liver failure.

Old 12-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #9
(male)

bigtuna HB User

Yikes! Thats scary!! Does this doc have his or her degree on the wall?? If not I would ask to see it I was on hydrocodone 5/500 for about 11 months and was maxed at 4000mg a day I have switched to hydorcodone 10/650 only 2600mgs a day its a lot safer and the amount of time I have been on the hydro would be considered long time. I hope to switch to a LA med with no tylenol stuff isnt too safe over long periods of time.

Reminds me of the doc my wife was seeing before she got to the ortho surgeon she ruptured the scaphodial ligament in her wrist and was already taking vicodin for the pain (5/500) doc told her to go ahead and use "as much tylenol as she needed" for increased pain I read her the riot act and reminded her that with the tylenol in the vicodin what she was telling my wife to do could be toxic. She had the deer in the head lights look and said "Oh, your right."

Moral of the story
Don't be afraid to research thats what this thing im typing on is for. And always remember just becasue someone has the title Dr. in front of their last name doesnt make them a genius they very well could have graduated at the bottom of their class from timbucktoo medical school.

So beware and always be aware look out for yourself not too many other people will.

Best Wishes
Tuna

Old 12-19-2004, 06:44 AM   #10
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Tuna,
I just had to say you are so right about these dr's. I don't know why we feel so safe putting our lives in their hands.

I will tell you.....we are from an area that houses one of those "timbucktoo" medical schools. The joke around here is NEVER go to a doc that didn't leave the area after high school because they probably went to medical school here!

We have a local hospital that houses all the "locals" and geez, it has the worst reputation.....they can't even diagnose a broken bone correctly.

Karen

Closed Thread