It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
Inactive

westin4 HB User
Shore, are you out there?

I have a problem with the soma and could really use some experienced advice. The soma was giving me wonderful relief, but it started to play havoc with my GI tract. I tried to tolerate it and I even take Prevacid daily, but it was no use. I ended just trading one set of problems for another..........and stomach problems are not what I am looking for.

Is there anything else you could suggest? I am going to the dentist on Thursday and I would like to ask him for something specific instead of playing the trial and error game. I know that what causes me side effects might not cause someone else the same problems, but geez, it gets expensive to get a script filled, take it for a few days then have to chuck it to the back of the cabinet. I can go back to the skelaxin, but it really didn't do that much for me. Compared to taking nothing it was better than that, but the soma was giving me about 85% relief. I am just so disappointed.

I didn't take it at all yesterday and felt fine.........took one at about 9pm and man in about 30 minutes I was sick as a dog. I just wanted to do a "test"

Anyone else who has a tip can hop in also..........

Thanks,
Karen

Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

mommy2scl HB User
Re: Shore, are you out there?

Karen

You know I have this problem with the Soma too. It just rips my stomach up. But I deal with it because it works so well. But you are right, I am trading one problem for another. I have tried all the other muscle relaxers out there and none of them work like the soma. I make sure I take it with food and some Tums. It does help.

Mommy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Yeah. I know you said it rips you too, but I even take Prevacid everyday. I took it with tums and after eating, but I was to the point of having to lay still I was so sick to my stomach. Then I had a couple of bouts of dry heaves, I just couldn't deal with it. I am so afraid it is going to be the only one that works too, then what will I do?

I have such a hard time with meds. If there is a side effect, I will get it and then some.

Thanks as always for your replys.
Karen

Old 01-05-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Kare, I your talking about the Soma compound with codeine,It's because it has 325mgs of aspirin and 16 mgs of codeine, either one of those meds would tear my stomach up. Plain Soma tablets are 350 mgs of plain carrisprodol, Iwould try the plain soma, How much relief can 16 mgs of codeine actually give, they put 30 mgs in a tylenol 3? Plain soma will have almost twice the actual muscle relaxer without the asa and codeine.

If it's plain soma, I'm not sure why it would irritate your GI system, The next alternative would probably be Balcofen or Zanaflex.
Good luck, Dave

Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
(female)

delilah1963 HB User
Soma Alternative

A lot of people don't like to hear this because of the possible dependency factor and many doctors don't like to prescribe it, but valium is the best muscle relaxant out there. And it doesn't take much. I can take a steady 5-10 mg a day and it makes my life much more bearable. Angel, I also suffer from TMJD and have been in splint therapy, 3rd time now, in as many years.

I also have cervical disc problems, and a very compassionate pain management doctor that would rather see me take 5 mg of valium, than drink 1/2 bottle of wine and anti-inflammatory drugs that would take my liver out. He is a godsend...he says that doctors that shrink back in horror over the mention of valium aren't in pain.

I've tried Soma too and get stomach upset, but not w/Valium. Valium's also dirt cheap. I've known people who take 1 or 2 valium, then can't get enough. Some don't have dependency issues at all and can wean off w/out trouble. Something to think about anyway.

Best to you.
Del

Old 01-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Dave: Yeah, I am talking about the plain soma.........I have heard from others that take soma that it can cause terrible stomach problems. I had no idea.

Del: I agree 100% about the valium! I have some that I save for emergencies. It is the best, hands down. See one MAJOR problem I have is that I take Xanax daily for panic disorder and how am I going to get someone to give me a script for a 2nd benzo? I am going to my dentist tomorrow and I am going to flat out ask him if he will give me some. If he wants to doll it out to me daily, I don't care, it won't offend me. I know giving someone 2 benzo's is going to be tough hill to climb, but I am VERY responsible with meds, someone is just going to have to believe me. I have been on the same dose of xanax for 8 years now.......never an increase and never an early refill. My psych could vouch for me on that.........he controls it very closely and even writes me a 3 month script now because I have "proven" my worthiness.

I will let you know how it goes.

Karen

Old 01-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
(female)

delilah1963 HB User

Hi Karen,
Yes, the double benzo will more than likely be an issue. Any chance of switching out xanax for valium? Just thinking.

Take care, Karen. I'll be hoping for the best for you.

Del

Old 01-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Maybe it would be possible to get an increase in your Xanex, I find it to be far more effective than Valium, at least for myself.

Also when it comes to filling new meds, if you do not have insurance or have a high copay never fill the entire prescription. Most pharmacies will in fact give you a small amount instead of filling the entire prescription at once so you pay less. If the med works they fill the remainder of the month for you, if it doesn't you have saved yourself some money and there's no need to have the balance filled.

I've thrown away more meds than I can think of because of intolerance or stomache issues, I now ask for samples or just have the pharmacist fill a small amount if it is expensive.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
(female)

dawn1234 HB User

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problems with soma. I've been having stomach upset myself although I have been blaming it on a cold or flu. I hope your docs listen and you can give valium a try.

Dawn

Old 01-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Thanks for all your help guys............I am anxious to hear what he says tomorrow.

I can't switch off the xanaxa to valium because really xanax is far superior for anxiety.

Also, extra xanax will not help because it does not have the effect of being a muscle relaxant. I think I will have to try something else all together or see if I can increase my Prvacid.

Thanks again......

Karen

Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hi! I agree with Shore here. A lot of people don't realize that there are two forms of Soma out there. The one Shore mentioned without the codine is the generic name, that's what I have taken and I didn't have any stomach problems.

Are your stomach problems nausea or are they like an ulcer feeling where your stomach feels like it's eating itself! There is a med out there called Promethazine Tabs. My pain doc prescribed them for me when I first started on Fentynal since the patches can uspet your stomach until you get used to them.

I agree Soma is good, but like Shore said, there is Baclofen (sp?) and Zanaflex. Zanaflex comes generic, and is a pretty good muscle relaxant given usually in low dosages. I take 2mg a day (I have taken 5mg and it put me right to sleep) and usually end up cutting of my doses in half cuz they can make you drowsy. I take them for the muscle tension I get right between my shoulder blades, just that area where your arms can't reach to rub any type of topical cream on!

You all should read my post on the Fibromyalgia board about a cream that my pain doc had a Compound Pharmacy make up that includes a couple of muscle relaxents, Baclofen (again sp?) is one as well as Fiorecet and Lidocane. This stuff to me is like gold. It was prescribed for an inflammed trigger point but I use it anywhere that is inflammed or sore. I use it for my bursitis, my lowerback pain, the area between my shoulder blades, that tightness you get along the side of your neck, and even on my hands and wrists for ca***l tunnel syndrome. The cream doesn't have a name really, it just has a list of the ingredients. Check out my post for a list of the ingredients and if it sounds good to you, maybe it's something you could talk to your doc about.

Pain stinks!
TTFN
tk

P.S. I have no idea why there are little asteriks in the word before tunnel.

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 01-07-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #12
Inactive

westin4 HB User

tk,
Thank you so much for the tip on the cream. Do you think that it is a combo that I could get??? I LIVE with my tube of muscle relaxant cream. I use it way more than it says....I think it says 4 times a day and I use it about 2 times an hour. It really helps me though.

I will go to the fibr board and see if I can find your post.........

Karen

This is the regular soma that is making me sick. The one with codeine ..........forget it........I was so high and so sick, It worked like a gem, but I can't handle all of it. I could handle the "high" because that would lessen with use, but the extreme nausea and dry heaves is not something I can do. Excuse the grossness here.................but vomiting is not something you want to do when you are suffering extreme tmj.

Thanks for all your help guys. This board is so important.

Closed Thread