It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
(male)

REXXX HB User
advice on generic oxycontin vs brand

any help on experiences with oc generic?
have been on 80 mg. 3 times daily for 4 years.
anybody taken the new teva
Rexxx

Old 02-04-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User
Question Re: advice on generic oxycontin vs brand

Hi Rexxx!

I wasn't aware that Oxycontin came in a generic. This must be fairly new. I am also taking OxyC, and it is very expensive. A generic would be great. Hope someone who has more information comes along to answer your question. Sorry I couldn't help.

Take care,
Cpapp31

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
(male)

REXXX HB User
Re: advice on generic oxycontin vs brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapp31
Hi Rexxx!

I wasn't aware that Oxycontin came in a generic. This must be fairly new. I am also taking OxyC, and it is very expensive. A generic would be great. Hope someone who has more information comes along to answer your question. Sorry I couldn't help.

Take care,
Cpapp31
it's made by Teva. not really that much cheaper. for 60-- 80 mg. you only save about 63.00. Total cost approx. $612.00 in Ga.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

Holy smokes, do you guys ever pay a lot for your meds!! I'm just floored that they cost you that much. Here, in Canada, they would probably cost $60-$80 dollars. If I remember correctly when I was on the oxcontin I would get 90 of the 20mg ones and they would cost me around $63 dollars. How do most people afford these drugs?? I sure wouldn't be able to pay that much.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisten
Holy smokes, do you guys ever pay a lot for your meds!! I'm just floored that they cost you that much. Here, in Canada, they would probably cost $60-$80 dollars. If I remember correctly when I was on the oxcontin I would get 90 of the 20mg ones and they would cost me around $63 dollars. How do most people afford these drugs?? I sure wouldn't be able to pay that much.
That's our government and the big drug companies. Ain't that a hoot, twisten? Now GW wants to stop us from getting any of our meds in Canada where they are cheaper. He CLAIMS that they aren't approved by our gov't and may not be safe. Yuppers, meds here are outrageous. The new hitch is now trying to put an end to the "medically needy" program which helps so many people get their medications to help them living. Obviously, something has to change. I have insurance so my meds are paid for based on a % of their cost and the class they fall into. I just had an insurance company change (group insurance through COBRA) and this company doesn't cover a specific cream that I have been using for pain, now I pay $68.00 for a 60g containor of cream. Thank goodness it lasts a long time.

Here's wishing you all cheaper meds!

tk

Old 02-05-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

Shakespeare HB User

Hold onto your seat Twisten. I'm on 20mg oxyC, I get 120 a script cause my doc doesn't want to write one for the 60mg even though I take 60mg twice a day religiously. Grand total 542.00 a script and since I am just now switching from Workers Comp to my own ins. which just happens to be Medicaid my doc will not pre certify the script with them. His solution to this delima? I should pay out of pocket for it and then bill the ins. Only problem with this is Medicaid is for people on WELFARE!!! So I am now ( as of today) going without and withdrawing cold turkey. Ain't all this fun?

But to answer the question I have heard of a generic for Oxyc for 60-80mg. Can't get them in my area though so I can't help you with cost or anything.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare
Hold onto your seat Twisten. I'm on 20mg oxyC, I get 120 a script cause my doc doesn't want to write one for the 60mg even though I take 60mg twice a day religiously. Grand total 542.00 a script and since I am just now switching from Workers Comp to my own ins. which just happens to be Medicaid my doc will not pre certify the script with them. His solution to this delima? I should pay out of pocket for it and then bill the ins. Only problem with this is Medicaid is for people on WELFARE!!! So I am now ( as of today) going without and withdrawing cold turkey. Ain't all this fun?

But to answer the question I have heard of a generic for Oxyc for 60-80mg. Can't get them in my area though so I can't help you with cost or anything.
Medicaid is not necessarily for people on welfare. I worked with a single mother who's daughter was eligeble for medicaid while the mother was not. Medicaid is also there for when Medicare doesn't pay for the whole medical treatment, script, whathaveyou, but you have to be financially indigent. Patients in nursing homes use medicare to cover most costs for their care, and medicaid picks up the extra costs where the patient can't pay, or have any kind of supplemental insurance because they are totally state or government dependent.

tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 02-05-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I'll be honest, I don't understand the way your guys' health insurance works at all. Ours might not be perfect but its sure better than having nothing.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
(female)

Shakespeare HB User
Smile Re: advice on generic oxycontin vs brand

In my State only those who go through the Department of Jobs and Family Services (the politically correct and sanitized verbiage for Welfare since Welfare Reform Act) are elegible for Medicaid. I know that the States are in charge of the programs and every state is different.

I WAS NOT trying to put down anyone on welfare or getting Medicaid. It happens to be the only thing that is standing between me and the street right now. It has also been a godsend since both of my children are Bi-Polar 1 and need constant care from psychiatrists. I would not be able to provide the care they need without the help I get. I only mentioned the part about welfare to clarify why I cannot pay any out of pocket expenses for meds especially 542. I happen to BE indigent.

The jist of my previous post was the HIGH cost of OxcyC. Also that I had heard of a generic form but it was woefully not available in my area.

Sorry for any confusion or hurt sensibilities.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare
In my State only those who go through the Department of Jobs and Family Services (the politically correct and sanitized verbiage for Welfare since Welfare Reform Act) are elegible for Medicaid. I know that the States are in charge of the programs and every state is different.

I WAS NOT trying to put down anyone on welfare or getting Medicaid. It happens to be the only thing that is standing between me and the street right now. It has also been a godsend since both of my children are Bi-Polar 1 and need constant care from psychiatrists. I would not be able to provide the care they need without the help I get. I only mentioned the part about welfare to clarify why I cannot pay any out of pocket expenses for meds especially 542. I happen to BE indigent.

The jist of my previous post was the HIGH cost of OxcyC. Also that I had heard of a generic form but it was woefully not available in my area.

Sorry for any confusion or hurt sensibilities.
No hurt here. I personally believe that no one in this country should be considered indigent. Let's say everyone in this country contributed $1 a day, or even a week to a special fund set aside strictly for medical needs. I believe that would MORE than cover any expenses for those who cannot get insurance because of lack of money or denial of services. I don't understand why meds are so high and I don't understand why everyone in our country cannot feel safe and protected if they or a family member falls ill. Sometimes it all seems backwards. I know for a fact that big drug companies give "kudos" to docs who push certain meds made by these companies. There was an earlier post that suggested that is why so many of us (particularily those of us with Fibromyalgia) are having anti-depressants pushed at us. I remember watching a news special that interviewed docs who in fact did recieve special "kudos" for giving out the drug Neurontin when it first came out. How many of us here have been given that anti-seizure med for pain. raising my hand

I had a friend who's husband spent one night in ICU after he suffered an anurism and the cost was over $150,000! OYE! I realize that we need to spend money in order to research new meds and hopefully find cures. But I am a bit overwhelmed over the cost. There is so much going on "behind the scenes" in these big drug companies and the health care that we have no idea of.

Yes, it's true, other countries have much better healthcare systems as far as treating everyone, not only those with insurance or those who have the ability to pay. But EVERYONE. I lived in Germany, and got to know a lot of German locals, and they never had to worry about healthcare or retirement. They were taken care of, and the elderly in that country never went hungry, unsheltered, or uncared for. Of course their taxes were very very high. But look at the result. I think healthcare and social security in this country can be fixed, if only the people in charge would look at it simply. The "no child left behind" program, should carry over to "no American left behind".

So, shakespeare, I think you just hit a nerve on the topic of who will and who will not receive proper health care. I have friends who just visited me from Canada, and their healthcare system is great, but they wait an awful long time for specialties, like MRI's for instance. I just wish we could all help each other, no matter what country we are in, we have a lot to learn from and teach each other.

TTFN,
tk

Old 02-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
Lightbulb Re: advice on generic oxycontin vs brand

Yes, oxycontin and most other drugs are substantially more expensive in the US than in Canada. I think a poster mentioned that she payed $63 for ninety 20 mg tablets of oxycontin in Canada. Well i happen to be on ninety 20 mg tablets of oxyc and in the states it costs me $295. There are now two companies producing generic oxycontin, because of recent court cases invalidating purdue pharma's patents. As stated, Teva pharmaceuticals of Israel is producing the generic version of the 80 mg tablet ONLY at this time. Endo pharmaceuticals of the US is producing the generic 40, 20, and 10 mg doses. The reason for this situation is that the judge gave 1 year generic excusivity to Endo to sell all four strengths. However, Endo felt they could make more money by selling the rights to the 80 mg strength to Teva. Once this special one year period is over, it is likely that both Endo and Teva will produce all four strengths of generic Oxycontin. Simply being persistent in asking the local pharmacies to order the generics is probably the only way you will get them to begin stocking it, as they must feel that the demand warrants placing an order. I do not know the price differences between the generics and Purdues name brand, but even a small percentage decrease in price would make it worthwhile to pursue attaining the generic. as for efficacy, Endo, the maker of name brand percocet, has always made excellent quality brands and generics, so i would have no qualms about a product from them. Teva i am not as familiar with, but i do know they are the world's largest volume producer of generic drugs, so if quantity is any indication of quality, they are probably reliable as well. Finally, one of the previous posters mentioned something about taking three 20 mg tablets of oxycontin daily, and wondering why his doc won't switch him over to two 60 mg tabs twice daily. Well, perhaps that is because 60 mg tablets of oxycontin, brand or otherwise, do not now, nor have they ever, existed. The Only strengths of oxycontin (made by anyone) that have ever been produced are 10, 20, 40, 80 & 160 mg tabs (160 mg's no longer made by purdue) So taking three 20 mg tabs is your only option, as oxycontin cannot be cut in half. And even if Purdue did make 60 mg tablets, you would not save any money over buying a larger quanity of 20 mg tablets, because purdue charges the same price per milligram for all strengths, ie 40 mg tabs cost double what 20 mg tabs cost, etc. So know what you're talkin' about before you get ****** with your doc. Take care everyone.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I just looked at the prices I paid last month for my meds in Canada. I got 80 pills that are 10 mg each of oxyir for $40.06, 60 elavil 50 mg each for $16.61 and generic mscontin 90 pills that are 30 mg each for $62.06. Definitely way less than what you guys pay.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #13

kellyp HB User

I would have paid $99.86 for 90 15mg generic MS Contin and almost $300 for 90 60mg's ms contin if I didn't have Rx coverage. Fortunately the two scripts only cost me $20. But to think it would be almost $400 and this is for the generic is ridiculous.
I feel for those who don't have health care, several members of my family don't. We need to learn to take care of EVERYONE in ourcountry. Too bad we can't get through the the heads of our politicians and president. They talk about it plenty, but in the end too many are still suffering.
Kelly

Old 02-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
(female)

Shakespeare HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirry1422
Yes, oxycontin and most other drugs are substantially more expensive in the US than in Canada. I think a poster mentioned that she payed $63 for ninety 20 mg tablets of oxycontin in Canada. Well i happen to be on ninety 20 mg tablets of oxyc and in the states it costs me $295. There are now two companies producing generic oxycontin, because of recent court cases invalidating purdue pharma's patents. As stated, Teva pharmaceuticals of Israel is producing the generic version of the 80 mg tablet ONLY at this time. Endo pharmaceuticals of the US is producing the generic 40, 20, and 10 mg doses. The reason for this situation is that the judge gave 1 year generic excusivity to Endo to sell all four strengths. However, Endo felt they could make more money by selling the rights to the 80 mg strength to Teva. Once this special one year period is over, it is likely that both Endo and Teva will produce all four strengths of generic Oxycontin. Simply being persistent in asking the local pharmacies to order the generics is probably the only way you will get them to begin stocking it, as they must feel that the demand warrants placing an order. I do not know the price differences between the generics and Purdues name brand, but even a small percentage decrease in price would make it worthwhile to pursue attaining the generic. as for efficacy, Endo, the maker of name brand percocet, has always made excellent quality brands and generics, so i would have no qualms about a product from them. Teva i am not as familiar with, but i do know they are the world's largest volume producer of generic drugs, so if quantity is any indication of quality, they are probably reliable as well. Finally, one of the previous posters mentioned something about taking three 20 mg tablets of oxycontin daily, and wondering why his doc won't switch him over to two 60 mg tabs twice daily. Well, perhaps that is because 60 mg tablets of oxycontin, brand or otherwise, do not now, nor have they ever, existed. The Only strengths of oxycontin (made by anyone) that have ever been produced are 10, 20, 40, 80 & 160 mg tabs (160 mg's no longer made by purdue) So taking three 20 mg tabs is your only option, as oxycontin cannot be cut in half. And even if Purdue did make 60 mg tablets, you would not save any money over buying a larger quanity of 20 mg tablets, because purdue charges the same price per milligram for all strengths, ie 40 mg tabs cost double what 20 mg tabs cost, etc. So know what you're talkin' about before you get ****** with your doc. Take care everyone.

Not ****** at my doc. Just curious since I don't work for a drug manufacturer I am not up on all that is out there and who makes it and at what mg. It just seemed simpler. Also since in the location I am currently forced to live in it is common knowledge that someone makes 60mg cause you can buy it on the street. Know that for a fact.
What I AM aggravated at my Doc about is his attitude towards anyone on state assistance ins. If you qualify for this ins. you are below poverty level and generally don't have a pot or the window to throw it out let alone the money to pay full price for such an expensive script.
BUT I am only aggravated, I don't posses the energy to get ****** at anyone. In my current state to me this is 'Much Ado About Nothing' so I will bow out to those better versed on the subject.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
Lightbulb Re: advice on generic oxycontin vs brand

Sorry to hear about your troubles, shakespear. Just didn't want to see you having problems with your doctor unnessesarily. The 60 mg med that you are speaking of is undoubtably ms contin, not oxycontin. MS Contin is 12 hour extended release morphine sulfate, and comes in generic and name brand in 15, 30, 60, and 120 mg tablets. And yes i agree it would be wayyy easier for many patients, who currently must take a 40 mg and a 20 mg tablet to get their optimum dose, for the drug companies to make a 60 mg extended release version of oxycodone, but alas life is never that easy.

Closed Thread