It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Chronic Pain & Jury Duty

Hello Everyone!

Even though I haven't been posting much lately, I do try to read other's post to keep up with everybody.

I have been summoned for jury duty. I'm concerned about trying to make it thru a whole day sitting down in a court room. Please understand that I am more than happy to perform my civic duty; however, since I can't sit for more than 15-20 minutes and I need three pillows to do so, I don't know how in the world I can sit on a jury. I take 40mg of oxy tid and zanaflex tid but as some of you know, I've built up a tolerance to this dosage. It looks like I may be undergoing another morphine pump implant if my insurance will pay for it again which is a big "if". After the nightmare I had last year with it and ultimately had it removed, I kinda doubt they'll go for it again. But according to my PM it's the best and last resort for me since I've tried all the opiate alternatives. My day consists of sitting for a few minutes, then lying down, then sitting, then lying. What a life! My pain levels are so high even with the oxy.

Can you be excused from jury duty if you are on opiates and suffer chronic pain? I know they have to provide reasonable accommodations to you but I don't see how they'll let me lie down when I need to in the courtroom LOL! Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this and what you're thoughts are as to options for me. Thanks a bunch! Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User
Re: Chronic Pain & Jury Duty

Linda.
I dont have an answer but i have wondered about this myself since im overdue to be called.

I think you will initially have to show up but if your dr writes a note on your behalf explaining your diagnosis and the problem with sitting im sure yoy'll be excused on day 1.

good luck,scott

Old 02-17-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User

Thanks so much, Scotty!

I was kinda hoping that would be the case. I have to report for jury duty on Tuesday, but I have my PM appt. the Monday before. So I can at least ask the dr. if he will give me a note. I figured at the very least I will have to go the first day and bear it the best I can. Arg!

Thanks again, Scotty, for your input! Take care, Linda

Old 02-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

there is no way i could sit for a whole day in court or anyplace else for that matter.

the last time i sat for 4 hrs was for a drive down to the shore with my family this past summer.

after 2 hrs i asked my wife to drive and by the time we arrived to the beach house i was so overtaken with pain i could not even say hello to everyone who was there.

i just headed for the nearest bedroom and laid down.didnt get up for hours.
i think that was a turning point for my family's understanding of how severe the pain could be.

scotty

Old 02-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

My mother in law was excused from jury duty due to chronic pain. She had her Dr. write her a note. However, she mailed it in with her jury duty notice and never had to report. I think that you have to mail it in within a certain period of time before the jury duty. Since you're getting the note the day before you won't be able to do that. I would take the note with me the day I report. I know when I had to report I had to fill out a questionnaire and they asked if I had any hardships or reasons that would be difficult for me to serve. You could list your chronic pain. Sometimes they also interview you and you could tell them about your chronic pain then and show them your note.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #6

Kaylbe HB User

I've been excused from jury duty many times. In fact, I've never served, though I would if I could. I simply returned my jury questionnaire right away and explained my chronic pain and physical limitations (not being able to sit for extended periods of time.) The form states that I may be required to produce a doctor's note to verify my disability but they've never asked me to do so. They send notification to me that I've been excused from serving and it arrives prior to the date I was scheduled to report. They tell me there is no way for them to permanently excuse me from service. So I do this each time I'm called. I'm not sure if the procedure varies from state to state or between various courts within a state.

--Kaylbe

Old 02-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

linda, there should be a phone number somewhere in the letter you recieved that you can call(usually the court adminitrator)and explain your situation to them.The most that you "should" have to do is to call your treating docs office and he will have to just write a quick letter telling them of your condition and that you just cannot do it.And have them just list the meds that you are currently on.Then have them fax it over to the courts.They will not allow you to sit on a jury if your mind is impaired in any way.Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 02-18-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User

Thanks so much Everyone!

I was hoping a note from my dr. would suffice. I guess I shouldn't have waited to the last minute to find out about it. I just kept thinking that it's my civic responsibility and I should try really hard, but didn't know how I could sit that long. Sitting is one of the most painful things for me to do and that's with 3 pillows!

I hope my dr. won't have any problem with writing a note. Since it's so late, I guess I'll just show up, give them the note and answer any questions. Then, hope for the best! Marcia, I feel as you do in that the lawyers wouldn't want anyone on their jury who could possibly be impaired.

Anyway, as always thanks so much for your help and suggestions. I'll let everyone know what happens after Tuesday. Take care, your pal Linda

Old 02-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #9

Kaylbe HB User

Linda,

You should be able to get this taken care of without having to go down to the court on the morning you were suppose to appear. And it's quite possible that you won't even need to trouble your doctor for a note. Call the court first. If you're able to get yourself down there the morning of your jury duty, they may not be as sympathetic to your request for dismissal.

--Kaylbe

Old 02-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #10

kellyp HB User

I have been excused from jury duty due to chronic pain. In fact, I filled out the papers told them why I need to be excused and it was no problem at all. Good luck to you.
Kelly

Old 02-20-2005, 12:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hi,
I'm new here. I provided a note the day I was due to show up for jury duty. I was excused that time. The note was sent to whomever was in charge. My name was put on an inactive status and I have never even received a notice again. It's been 10 years. My disability prevents me from sitting also. I hope you can get excused easily.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User

I just want to thank everyone for their responses and advice. I plan to call the court in the morning and explain my situation. If they need a note from my dr., then when I see him at noon, I'll get one. Hope that will be enough.

Again, thanks so much for your help as always! Take care, Linda

Closed Thread