It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Break through meds and Methadone

As a lot of you probably know, I am on quite a high dose of Methadone for Chronic Pain. Although I would like to eliminate as much of the unnecessary meds I am taking, I would like to be able to get something for break through. Can anyone (Shore, I think you've written about this in the past) tell me about the receptors in the brain and Methadone. I've been doing some reading and if I read it right, it said Methadone attaches to all the receptors making other pain meds ineffective. Is this right or should I say, did I read it right? I've discussed BT meds with my doctor before, but so far I haven't been able to convince him of their need. Maybe he just won't prescribe them because they would be ineffective. Can anyone touch on this and give me your thoughts about BT meds when your base med is Methadone?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User
Re: Break through meds and Methadone

[QUOTE=Director] I would like to be able to get something for break through. it said Methadone attaches to all the receptors making other pain meds ineffective. Is this right or should I say, did I read it right? I've discussed BT meds with my doctor before, but so far I haven't been able to convince him of their need. Maybe he just won't prescribe them because they would be ineffective.

The above notions are true Director. The folks on MMT mention that they can use other narcotics and it doesn't seem to make one bit of difference. Your last sentence is basically what I have been told...you would need a BOATload of rescues meds to get past the methadone. Usually..if you are having more pain than is acceptable, the meth is increased or split dosed more frequently
Sparkles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
(male)

Guitar Lover HB User

I think the buzz is what is gone but the pain relieving effects may still work. You can still overdose.......

GL

Old 03-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I am on Methadone 20 mg. in the morning, 10 mg. at noon and another 20 mg. before bed. In the past few months I've had some pretty bad breakthrough pain. Last week my doctor ordered Lortab 5, 2 tablets three times per day if needed. I can tell you that it definitely has taken care of the pain. As far as the "buzz" that you mention, if you mean that dizzy sort of feeling you get until you get used to a med, I am experiencing that right now. The doc says it should go away in another week or so. I don't know what the textbooks say, but my body is telling me that both methadone and lortab are working on my brain cells! Kathy Mac

Closed Thread