It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

batty43 HB User
Unhappy New here.....need advice

I'm new to this board and would like some info on meds that might help my back pain and neuropathy in my legs.
Some info on my conditions
I have bulging disks at L2/3 L3/4 L5/S1
I also have a herniated disk at L4/5
Spinal stenosis DDD
Begining stages of osteoporosis
Neuropathy in both my thighs
Sciatica
PVD
I'm taking 3600mg daily of gabapentin fpr neuropathy and it is not working very well.I'm taking Relafen 1000mg in am for back pain definately not working.I have a doctors appt. in a few days and I would like any advise as what meds have been working for you.I'm in pain 24/7.

thanks for your responses in advance.
Cindy.

Last edited by batty43; 03-08-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User
Re: New here.....need advice

[QUOTE=batty43]>I have bulging disks at L2/3 L3/4 L5/S1
I also have a herniated disk at L4/5
Spinal stenosis DDD
Begining stages of osteoporosis
Neuropathy in both my thighs
Sciatica
PVD
I'm taking 3600mg daily of gabapentin fpr neuropathy and it is not working very well.I'm taking Relafen 1000mg in am for back pain definately not working.

Ok Cindy,
First of all you have plenty of sources of pain but NOTHING suitable as pain med. I read your letter and winced. You need to find a Dr. willing and interested in medicating your pain...beginning with a "base" or long acting med
MSContin or the patch etc. and then find a rescue med.....something acting immediately for a pain spike. There are tons of each type of med out there but you need to find an acquiescent Dr. first. Willing, friendly, strong, smart, easy on the eyes (that's for me) and educated on pain management. You probably will NOT be able to be medicated properly short on 1 able minded/bodied doctor. That is a must. Make sure your new Dr. gets all your medical history. It is up to YOU to make sure your PCP or PM Dr. hears you loud and clear. We shall help all we can. Just keep asking.
Sparkles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

batty43 HB User

Hi Sparkles
Thanks for the info.My problem right now is that I live in Ontario Canada and my GP told me there is a long waiting list to get in to see a neurosugeon.At least a year and a half.So he suggested he could write our OHIP and try get me covered to go to the states to get treatment and I agreed,so now it is a waiting game to see what happens.

As for my meds he said he wanted to try something other than opiods for the first treatment and go from there.Well I do think it is time for those opiods.I need relief....

Cindy

Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=batty43]
As for my meds he said he wanted to try something other than opiods for the first treatment and go from there.Well I do think it is time for those opiods.I need relief....

Hiya Sugar,
MY FEELINGS EXACTLY.
Luck my dear,.
S

Old 03-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
(male)

Streetcar HB User

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the PM board. Neurontin is frequently a very effective med used in treating neuropathic pain but it isn't all that surprising to hear that it is doing much for you since many of your conditions are non-neuropathic. A good starting opioid would be methadone since it has both opiate qualities as well as NMDA blocking properties (good for neuropathic pain). You failed to mention what other treatment modalities the dr/clinic have tried, such as, PT water therapathy, T.E.N.S. unit, nerve blocks, trigger point injections,bio-feedback, accupunture, etc. Personally, I'd rather have a short, overweight, near-sighted dr with a big hairy wart on his/her nose that had more to offer than a CII Rx pad in their PM arsenal than a tall, impecably dressed, good-looking dr. whose only solution to CP was a thick triplicate script pad. Don't get me wrong, I not against opiates (I'm currently taking Morphine and Oxycodone myself), they just need to have their proper palce in the overall treatment of CP.

As Sparkles said, communication between you and your dr is the number 1 thing in any treatment plan. Whether it's for CP or the flu you need to let the dr know what's working and what's not, while at the same time the dr needs to be actively listening to what you're telling him/her.

Once again, welcome and keep us posted on how things are going.

Ken

Neuromas, Diverticulosus, IBS-C/P, Esophageal Spasms

Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=Streetcar]

a short, overweight, near-sighted dr with a big hairy wart on his/her nose

ok that's it.........this guy shows up here on this board? Send him to Streetcar and I will be moving to the cosmetic surgery board.........I hear the surgeons there (spec. in Beverly Hills) are stunningly gorgeous.
Sparkles

Old 03-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
(male)

Streetcar HB User

Hey Sparkles,
I Don't care what they look like, so long as they do the job that I'm paying for....that's giving me the best care possible. That's all

Ken

Neuromas, Diverticulosus, IBS-C/P, Esophageal Spasms

Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetcar
Hey Sparkles,
I Don't care what they look like, so long as they do the job that I'm paying for....that's giving me the best care possible. That's all

of course...just a joke..I'm sick o'bein serious today.

S.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #9
(female)

batty43 HB User

HI streetca,

The only thing my doctor did first was to send me to a chiroprator and he said he could not manipulate my spine bcause of my advanced peripheral vascular disease.The only thing he did was do little adjustments in my legs to try help pain in my legs.He said he had to be real gentle and treat me as a 90yr old lady.....I'm only 46!!! lol.So I went to see him 3 times and not helping so I did not go back.
Next was he put me on Relafen a anti inflamitory......not work in the slightest.
I have an appt. on the 17th and I will talk to him about him giving me something for the pain.We will see what happens then,so for now I guess I have to wait till then.
I will also be talking to him about getting another CT done this time I want my entire spine scanned..Last time they only did the lower but now I have pain in middle and and in my neck.
Thanks for the info
Cindy

Closed Thread