It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User
Need help getting RX for pain meds..please!

Hi. I'm from the bipolar group. I also suffer from endometreosis, and chronic pain. I moved from California a few months ago, and My Dr. there always precribed me whatever I asked for. I have never abused any meds, I only take Tylenol #3. I only take about 20 pills a month.

I have found that since I have moved (to the mid-west) that I can not find a doctor who is willing to give me the meds. They want me to look into accupressure, or electric-stimulation treatments instead. I have already tried that stuff, in fact, I invested in purchasing an electric stim machine. It doesnt help. I have had several surgeries, and have tried numerous meds to improve my endo.

I need to have a hysterectomy, but I am young still, and my husband and I want to hold out the option to try and have children with the help of infertility treatments. (I'm infertile too.) I suppose that the doctors in California are more liberal in giving meds. I just can't understand why the docs here want me to suffer. It's like they dont believe me, and think I am just a drug-seeker. Could it be that they dont trust me because of my psychiatric condition? Even though I am under the care of a doctor and medicated for my condition. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Re: Need help getting RX for pain meds..please!

How many doctors have you seen? Have you tried looking into a PM clinic? I know endometriosis can be very painful so I hope you find someone to help you soon. I'm not sure if we have any members on here from California but if we do maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Sorry I thought you moved to California not from there. My apologies.

Last edited by twisten; 03-17-2005 at 08:14 AM. Reason: misunderstood post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

[QUOTE=polarized13] Could it be that they dont trust me because of my psychiatric condition? Even though I am under the care of a doctor and medicated for my condition.

You know,I am beginning to think, as I read so many posts, that it's not your psych condition (hey I am right there with you) it's where you live. I am in the desert of So.Cal. and my Drs. have been great with pain control. I have never had to go to PM, my PCP prescribes all my narcotics and things have been fine for over 3 yrs. No contracts, no pill counts, just things as usual. I am beginning to think that other parts of the country are under seige or are very over controlled or something. But I do not think your mental health colors the pain Drs. decisions.
Sparkles/ShineOn

Last edited by SheSparkles; 03-17-2005 at 08:12 AM.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

I have seen two. I'm going to another one in a few weeks. I have to stick with ones that are providers of my insurance. I started with the closest ones to me, and now I'm having to drive about 30 miles away to try and find one that will help me.

I just don't understand why I should have to do this. With that little amount that I take. I barely use enough to take the edge off. I used to take Vicodin, and I told my doctor back in california that I wanted to see if I could use something more mild after my last surgery. I do not fit the profile of a drug seeker.

That is a good suggestion to check into a pain management clinic. It just seems uneccesary, I'm only asking for a small amout of codeine. I will have to get a referral from my doctor, and the whole thing will cost a bundle. But, hey why not drain the heath care system a little more.....

Last edited by polarized13; 04-24-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

And I got this right Polarized...........you WERE in Calif. and are NO longer...?
SS

Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

I just want to say I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. As a former endo suffer-er, I can relate. I ended up with a total hysterectomy at 26 to resolve my pain due to the endo. You came here looking for pain med advice - you obviously need a more understanding doctor- the pain of endo is very intense and life altering - I remember it well. The relief from my hysterectomy was great.

As someone who has been there and done that, I hope to offer a suggestion: If you have not first tried everything else pre-hysterectomy ... please do. I have 2 beautiful girls, and was SURE about my decision (I thought) and was ready to do anything to stop the pain. They made me have psych appts to make sure I wouldn't have 2nd thoughts and sue the doctors. I did have depo provera, and was in a chemical menopause, as well as numerous surgeries (laser, severing nerves, etc...). What I didn't realize was the effect that having a total hysterectomy would have on the rest of my body at such a young age. I fully believe that I would have had the hysterectomy at that point regardless- just to end the pain. However now I suffer from osteoporosis (I also have RA and asthma so I also have had lots of prednisone that doesn't help), crazy mood swings, and emotional stuff way beyond what "normal" 33 year olds should experience (then again we are all on pain boards so what is normal?? ), Even tho I'd had my babies, I ended up divorced (my ex-hubby couldn't "deal" with a menopausal wife) and when I re-married wanted (want) a baby so bad I question the hysterectomy daily (iregardless of the fact that my back and bones would make carrying one absolutley impossible even if I had the "parts"). It changed who I was as a person - even tho I swore it wouldn't. Also, to add to the fun, I still had pelvic pain- I ended up with adhesions that required (so far) 1 surgery and probably another soon to clear them out. I wasn't allowed any HRT due to the endo-so I woke up in cold hard menopause... not fun.

I am not trying to undermine your pain, or vent - just want to offer an opinion from someone who has been in your shoes...I made my decision from a place of pain and fear and desperation, and if I can help you to see there may be a better choice, that is my goal - and I am sorry if I come across any other way Please get your pain under control. Get a doctor who is understanding and aware of the latest treatment options for endo (I understand there is so much more they can do now). Get into a support group and make an informed decision (I didn't-obviously). Then, and only then, make a decsion from a place of power...

Michelle

Last edited by StMishl; 03-17-2005 at 08:23 AM.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

yes, UNFORTUNATELY!!! No offense intended to mid-westerners in general. I have met many nice, welcoming and great people here. But it is sooooooo different here. I miss my warm weather. Its freezing here. And everyone has such an old-fashioned attitude. I have met several of my neighbors who are under the impression that TV is evil, and they shelter thier kids from everything. I try not to rock the boat too much, but being a native californian and liberal (what else) I just dont fit in....

Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarized13
but being a native californian and liberal (what else) I just dont fit in....
I am gonna get courageous and stand up for once and say how wonderful, in many ways, Calif is! We take alot of heat, "land of fruit and nuts" (which by the way has reason to stick) etc., however, for my health care and my health (warmth) it has been wonderful. 30 years here, have barely felt an earthquake, Drs. are not scared to medicate for pain. I am really sorry you had to move and to freeze. That coupled with inaccessible pain control is awful. Keep looking for Drs.
SS

Old 03-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

polarized13 HB User

My last response in answer to She sparkles. I appreciate all of you guys responding to me and my request for suggestions. I should still be able to conceive with the help of IVF from what every doctor has told me. My uterus is still ok. It's just all the scar tissue around it causing me the pain and infertility. I think I just need to keep looking for a new doctor. We are saving up for the IVF.
We moved out here cause my husband was given a very large promotion with his company. This re-location is only temporary. I guess this goes to show you. All states are not created equal when it comes to heath care!!

thanks again..

Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #10

MomOf4VA HB User

I live in the DC area. The land of Dr. Hurwitz and his conviciton. CVS is practically scared to sell you an aspirin, at this point. I am barely kidding.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:15 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf4VA
I live in the DC area. The land of Dr. Hurwitz and his conviciton. CVS is practically scared to sell you an aspirin, at this point. I am barely kidding.
I know this to be true and it's so distressing; How do those of us who have been delivered from ridiculous pain day after day help those of you who haven't? We would if we could..I know I would and I know so many others who would. You are not forgotten...ever. But what can we do to help you?
SS

Old 03-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Just out of curiousity....I live in Maryland and use CVS quite often. Who is Dr. Hurwitz and what was he convicted of?? Kathy Mac

Old 03-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyMac
Just out of curiousity....I live in Maryland and use CVS quite often. Who is Dr. Hurwitz and what was he convicted of?? Kathy Mac
It's so long to explain, punch in his name and see what you get. As chronic pain people, this was a trial closely watched and the verdict caused unbelievable distress. And it IS Hurwitz. I think James but not sure.
SS

Old 03-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
(female)

Truly HB User

I live in the same "state" and the doctors are really paranoid over Oxycontin.
It would be laughable if it was not so "unreal." There is a difference between physical dependency and drug addiction.

Many MD's are not trained in pain management and don't have a clue.
I have a feeling that the addicts who abuse this drug are finding far great success being RX'd. Thanks freaks for making real pain patients suffer for your fix.

I went off Oxycontin and I will never take it again. I was floored when a doctor did not agree with the RXing methods of my former neuro, called me and addict to my face, told me my life was "--it." Further, insulted accused me of obtaining my RX illegally. I go through my insurance company and have proof my RX's were not obtained illegally. I went off all my meds without any withdrawal. Now I am just left with jump in front to a train pain.

My Doctor left the "state" one day after my appointment. Referred me to a smarmy pain management mill. I want dignity and respect. I refuse to be treated as an addict and it is a pitty the med worked for me. I will not go to a creepy, unprofessional practice of a cross eyed doctor. D Doctor is really crossed eyed.

If anyone else had the Dr who abanndon his practice and there are many of us, I was told by a little trustee bird at the "TOWNE." (This will make sense if you are familar with the DR. please post here.)
Hint: (Star Trek) Keep his name off the boards we don't want hassles!
Live, love, laugh! Endorphins to youall! Truly

Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #15

MomOf4VA HB User

KathyMac:

I was being sarcastic about CVS. But, I am finding it impossible to find a PMD who is not afraid to Rx Oxy. The climated for pain management is horrible right now. Do you see a good PMD?

Closed Thread