It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

dawn1234 HB User
You know the doctor doesn't know what to do when....

He asks you your opinion!

It's going on two years now since I first started having pain problems. Carpal tunnel, it's just repetive stress. Cut back work hours, finally quit job. Still no lasting relief. Told it was depression, got anti-depressants. Pain still there. I would have moments of getting better, than getting worse. Pain got so bad in my hands, went in, did PT, saw the hand doctors. Jaw starts hurting, then knees. Go to dentist, go to jaw doctor. What the Heck is wrong with my body?? Have the carpal tunnel surgery on one hand. Mysteriously it did nothing for my other joints. Got referral to Rheumatogist. 2 month wait time. Meanwhile stumbled upon Lyme disease symptoms. GP agreed that it is possible, gave me a course of anti-biotics. Seemed to help. (Or maybe I just wasn't flaired up, who knows). See RD, he says it isn't Lyme, all tests come back negative., maybe early RA. Pain comes flaring back. Maybe early Lupus. Maybe just something from a parvo-virus (I think). Asks me what I want to do.

LOL - if I knew what to do, I wouldn't be in your office!!!!!

I don't even bother to ask for pain meds anymore. They won't give them to me, the meds don't cure, and I hate feeling like an addict. I'm 27. I want to be able to walk up stairs, chew gum, and type on the computer without pain. I dont' just want to "get high" or anything. I want the cure,---or at least the right diagnosis. Anti-inflammatories help a little, when I can tolerate them, which I can't usually since my stomach is a mess. I don't smoke anymore, I don't drink anymore, I don't do much of anything. I try and go swimming every now and then to keep up my muscles. Somedays I'd rather be put out of my misery. God, maybe they are right and it is all depression. Am I a nut-case? LOL....I even wish that were true. I could just swallow the Prozac and be healthy again....

Sorry, I had to vent. Thanks for reading. I get so mad sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Re: You know the doctor doesn't know what to do when....

Not that I know anything about it...there are many folks here who do...was fibromyalgia ruled out??? One of the symptoms is joint pain. Right?

I'm sorry for your frustration and I can sympathize. I'm going on two years w/o a diagnosis. I have lung pain after a bout with pneumonia. I've been to the head of the pain dept. who's on staff at our major university and he's stumped. He said he'd ask everyone at every conference and seminar he goes to about my case. So far no luck!

Have you been to pain management? I know medication is not a cure but it does give back sanity and quality of life. Two things I didn't have without medication.

Good luck to you.~Mush

Old 03-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

dawn1234 HB User

Hi trowftd3
Sorry it's taken me so long to write back. It takes me forever to do anything these days. My rheumatologist doesn't think it is FM because I don't have the sensitive points? Or something like that. The pain is in my jaw and lower joints, and then my hands, wrists, elbows, it's like nerve pain. The joint pain started almost a year after the nerve pain. I am just plain confused. My mind is mush. I'd go to a new Dr. but I don't know what kind of one. My GP thinks I am too young for PM. I'm 27. I'd find a new GP, but I just don't have the energy to work the system anymore. I wonder if it is the five anthrax vaccines I had to have. I hate thinking like this, it makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist. I don't know. I guess my best bet is the VA hospital. I'm just too scared I will be laughed at or written off. I can't stand even looking at the drs anymore, they just think I am some wacked-out looney.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn1234
I'm just too scared I will be laughed at or written off. I can't stand even looking at the drs anymore, they just think I am some wacked-out looney.
Don't you dare be scared...you are worth comfort...AND pain control. It doesn't matter what the Drs. think...you haven't found the right one yet. If you are in pain you must keep fighting if you are to have a life...we will help all we can.
SS

Old 03-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowftd3
Not that I know anything about it...there are many folks here who do...was fibromyalgia ruled out??? One of the symptoms is joint pain. Right?

I'm sorry for your frustration and I can sympathize. I'm going on two years w/o a diagnosis. I have lung pain after a bout with pneumonia. I've been to the head of the pain dept. who's on staff at our major university and he's stumped. He said he'd ask everyone at every conference and seminar he goes to about my case. So far no luck!

Have you been to pain management? I know medication is not a cure but it does give back sanity and quality of life. Two things I didn't have without medication.

Good luck to you.~Mush
Hi trowftd3 aka Mush!

I don't think I've posted with you too much. But anyway, hello. You mentioned your lung pain after having pnuemonia. My aunt was being treated with Chemo for non-hodgkins lymphoma over a year ago when she all of a sudden developed pnuemonia. We thought the pneumonia was going to kill her, not the cancer. It was awful, so I sympathize with what you went through. Anyway, she complains about her lungs from time to time and her oncologist said it could be from scar tissue. Have your docs looked at that yet? You said they are pretty much stumped, so I'm sure they have, but just thought I'd ask. It must be frustrating for you to have pain and not know what the heck is causing it. I know you also work, and my hats off to you for getting through a work day with chronic pain. I know it's frustrating to have to work with pain. I had to finally throw in the towel, and I also know how frustrating it is to want to work but can't. It's frustrating all the way around.

I hope they find out what's up with you soon.

Goodnight,
tk

Old 03-31-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Dawn,

Anthrax vaccines?...FIVE?? Why? Are you in the military? I would definitely look into that. Did your doc give you these? If not, I'd make sure he/she knows about it.

Don't be scared to fight your pain. Ooh VA hospital...veterans? I was thinking Virginia..LOL Go where ever you need to go. I always figured the bigger the hospital the more stuff they've come in contact with. Maybe someone out there has seen what you have.

Hang in there and good luck. (no you're not too young for pm)
Keep us posted.
~Mush

Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

TK,
Hi!
Yes pnuemonia was hell! I've never been that sick in my life and wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
The pumonary doc says my lungs are fine! I'm trying to pay down my hospital bills so I can try to get referred to a different lung guy. This one said "you're 90% better....you should be happy with that" AArgh!

Hope your aunt is doing better. The 'c' word is no fun.

I'm only working part-time...no way could I work full time!!!

Thanks for you input...see you around. ~Mush

Old 03-31-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

dawn1234 HB User

Yes, I was active duty in the Air Force. I was in really good health, ran every day, etc. I went over to serve in Operation Enduring Freedom. It was there in the desert that they started us on the series. I passed out when I got my first shot. They told me I stood up too soon, that it wasn't a contraindication or whatever. So, over time I got five more. I had nerve pain after the first three, but I blamed it on working on the computers so much. I really did think it was carpal tunnel syndrome. But after my fourth shot is when it got really bad. I worked out a transfer to the reserves (which I am still in - awaiting a medical review board). My civilian doctor at the time (was paying out of pocket for some unbiased advice) told me if I didn't quit my job, it (the carpal) would never get better. Three weeks prior to my 4th shot I had gotten a nasty insect bite, which is what led me thinking maybe Lyme (but that test came back neg. I took the anti-biotic rounds anyway). Got the fifth shot while in the reserves. Thank God they finally changed the policy from manditory to optional. Thank God for that judge. There was a girl in my flight who really didn't want to get the shot. They almost court-marshalled her. Finally she was bullied into it. Don't know what happened to her. Another guy I worked with had a really bad reaction to the first shot. He got severe daily migraines, couldn't work, they eventually kicked him out. I remember them leading him around in handcuffs to out-process. I don't trust anyone anymore. Especially the military. Why would they want to make a bunch of healthy people sick? It doesn't make any sense. I would have stayed in my 20yrs. if I hadn't gotten sick.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

My sis-in-law was in desert storm (marines). She's had all sorts of problems since. She told me about all kinds of shots that they weren't even told what they were...on top of the Anthrax. I keep telling her to investigate especially now since there's more media attention etc. She's a major over-achiever and can't seem to find the time! One day she'll have no choice!
Hang in there and keep on keeping on.
Keep me informed. I'm very interested to find out what exactly you have!!!
~Mush

Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

sorry...
sis-in-law has also been on many anti deppressants. Doesn't that seem to be the first thing they do these days??? 'You have pain? You must be depressed."

I'm surprised my own doc hasn't pulled that one!~M

Closed Thread