It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

laceymist HB User
Need help please on fentanyl patch and oxycontin

Hi
I need some information and help if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.
I have fibro,chronic back pain,RLS etc.My doctor has me on oxycontin
60mgs twice daily with no BT med and vallium.I had an appt on Friday and explained my pain was +8.He told me to try the fentanyl patch 25,and
stop my other meds for a trial.I don't know much about the patch
if it is stronger than my other meds so I haven't put the patch on yet.
Can anyone tell me if the patch is stronger then my oxycontin?
How long before the patch starts to work?
I do believe my doctor made a mistake with my meds,I'm not sure so
I have been taken my meds and haven't put the patch on yet.
Anyone know about these meds that can help me?Should I try the patch
or stick to my normal meds and see my dr.?
Thanks Lacey

Last edited by laceymist; 04-03-2005 at 02:20 PM. Reason: i already got the information i needed.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

dango HB User
Re: Need help please on fentanyl patch and oxycontin

U-u-u-u-u-u-m... I was taking a combination of Ultram (400mg a day)& Oxycodone (30mg a day)--so that's comparatively light--and when I started the Duragesic Patch 25mcg did not let me stop ANY of my meds--it just gave me slightly better coverage on top of them. THEN, after about 2 weeks on the Duragesic I felt extremely anxious and aggitated. I thought it was because I was experiencing a high level of pain and some new symptoms (i.e. some numbness, severe burning pain in my lower back w/ loss of bladder control at night--which I'd NEVER ever had since I was potty trained as a child!). I went up to 50mcg and w/in several days the anxiety got much worse. I took the patches in to my Pain Management Doc. He cut them up & I started a combination of MSContin 3x daily, w/Oxycodone every 4 hours--no Ultram. Much better. That's just my experience though. Whatever you do--try and make sure that the dosing is equivalent. 25mcg. cannot be expected to take the place of 60 mg oxycontin!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

So you are currently using 120mg of OxyContin (Oxycodone) daily correct (60x2)? To answer your question, Yes Fentanyl is stronger than Oxycodone. That is why it is measured in MCG instead of MG. So using an Equianalgesic chart, 120 mg of Oxycodone is therapeutically equivalent to a 75mcg Fentanyl patch (Duragesic). However, most doctors are going to start with something lower. For one thing, everyone reacts differently to opiate medications. You may find that a lower dose on the Duragesic is ok for you. You should however, have something for breakthough pain. Starting with 25mcg patch is low and you will probably need some BT meds, but communicating with you DR is best. Let him/her know what is working. Maybe the 25mcg patch will work for you. But I can tell you that using the chart is says 75mcg is the equivalent.

Hope this helps

Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #4

thomason HB User

I haven't tried the patch, yet. But that seems like a low dose to replace 120mg oxycontin daily. I guess some docs don't want to risk possible bad side effects , so they may want to start you out on the lowest dose then adjust as needed.

If I were you, I wouldn't do the switch unless you have at least 2 or 3 days to stay at your house and not have any obligations. That way if your in alot of pain, or have difficulty adjusting you aren't suffering somewhere that you can't deal with it.

I'd also make an appointment to get in to see your doc within a few days of when you want to start the patch to make sure you have help if needed.

I do have a question regarding the patch. If you are prescribed a 25mcg patch, and your getting no relief at all, if you put on two patches the next time your ready to change them out is that just like using a 50mcg patch or is that dangerous due to each patch absorbing at a different rate due to placement on the body?

My doc doesn't prescribe BT meds, so if I were to try the patch and it didn't work , I would have nothing else to help me unless I saved some 20mg oxycontin. Even though the oxycontin is a LA med, it only seems to be effective for my pain for about 3-4 hours. That is one reason I went back from 40mg BID to 20mg TID, so I could have three of them per day to help spread them out. When I had them BID, there would be a long period of the day that I had no relief and without any BT meds, it was too difficult.

Good luck with this, and hopefully you get sufficient treatment to make the transition.

Last edited by thomason; 04-03-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
(male)

Razzor HB User

I was on Oxycontin 40 mg 3 times a day and 6 5 mg oxycodone for breakthrough. I have recently started the Duragesic fentanyl patch and it is working great. There or no peaks and valleys it's just steady pain relief. I had back surgery last July for a coulple of herniated disc and I have stenosis. I had a good two months after surgery then I started having pain again. I quit taking meds the week after surgery and went back to taking them after the pain came back, they thought I was crying wolf just to get back on meds so I had to beg for an MRI nad I finally got one in February of this year and it showed I had two cysts at L5 growing against my spinal cord causing my legs to go numb. This time they put me on 30mg of oxycodone 5 X's a day, after I take one it last about an hour and I feel like I'm having withdrawls so I ask for the patch and it's the best move I've made. I read how people did not like Mylan brand but it has done great for me and I have had no problem wit it sticking and stayin even after a shower. If you have them use them I have the 75 mcg and they work I actually feel normal for a change.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
(male)

Razzor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceymist View Post
Hi
I need some information and help if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.
I have fibro,chronic back pain,RLS etc.My doctor has me on oxycontin
60mgs twice daily with no BT med and vallium.I had an appt on Friday and explained my pain was +8.He told me to try the fentanyl patch 25,and
stop my other meds for a trial.I don't know much about the patch
if it is stronger than my other meds so I haven't put the patch on yet.
Can anyone tell me if the patch is stronger then my oxycontin?
How long before the patch starts to work?
I do believe my doctor made a mistake with my meds,I'm not sure so
I have been taken my meds and haven't put the patch on yet.
Anyone know about these meds that can help me?Should I try the patch
or stick to my normal meds and see my dr.?
Thanks Lacey

Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
(male)

Razzor HB User

I have been through it. The Fentanyl patch 25 is 25 micro grams which is not a lot but it is stronger overall than Oxycontin and the new Oxycontin OP is useless the new formular is binded to polymer and your body cannot break it down. I am on the Fentanyl 75 mcg and I love it. I think if you try it and give it a week or so you will be better off.

Closed Thread