It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

TJUAN HB User
Nerve Damage due to botched Hemorrhoid Surgery

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi Everyone:

Iíve been reading this pm board for months now trying to find anyone with a similar situation that I am in and my heart goes out to all of you because I can truly relate to the everyday pain you deal with. I was a normal, healthy 42 year old woman one day. My story goes like this:

Iíve have been having excruciating pain after a botched hemorrhoid surgery in November 2004. After many doctor appointments with various doctors, and tests, on March 8th a doctor in the Chronic Pain Department at my HMO recently diagnosed me with nerve damage in my anus/rectum or CRPS. The doctor stated to me that the hemorrhoid surgery caused this problem and no corrective surgery would make it better and I would have to live like this until the nerve dies out in approximately 60 months!!

I felt that since it was stated to me it was due to the surgery I had, I should be compensated for all medications and doctorís co-payments I have paid, to date, out of my own pocket. Also, any fees associated with this injury, should be waived in the future.

Needless to say, they denied my claim and now I am going through the Appeals process and getting an Independent Medical Review. My HMO is now saying that Chronic pain can happen at any time and it was not my doctorís intent to suggest that the surgery caused the pain I am now having . . . . hello, are we all stupid?

I have also been notified that my job is at risk if I cannot work full time. I must do what I can to keep this job I have worked so hard for. I cannot afford to lose my position in a prestigious company. I have my own office with a great view and people reporting to me. I am unable to sit no longer than five hours a day (including driving to and from work). I have had to modify my seat at work and in the car for comfort. Sitting longer than five hours consecutively causes me excruciating pain.

I have already changed my lifestyle in so many ways. I have four kids and I am now unable to be the fun, rough playing mom I used to be. I am in pain 24/7 with some relief from the medication I am currently taking. Although I must keep myself heavily medicated to just be at my job for 8 hours. I take my entire dayís worth of medication in 10 hours rather than the 16 hours one would normally use to stretch out their dosages and my doctor is aware of this.

I have had a chemical dependency on Vicodin in the past but that was both mine and my HMOís fault. I brought it to the HMOís attention in 1997 and have gone through detox programs, support groups and have done everything necessary to understand my addiction and why I was taking them before. I was in a bad situation during that part of my life and I used is as a crutch to get me through the bad times. I know the difference between addictions and what being dependant is . . . addiction this is not.

I have signed a pain management agreement and have mentioned to my pm doctor that I need something stronger for the pain. My current normal daily dosage would be 400 mg Ultram, 300 mg Topamax and 12 mg of Dilaudid suppositories. Her idea of an increase would be to give me one half more of a Diludid per day. Iím sorry but she has to be out of her mind. I already had a tolerance to the Ultram when I met her in March, I had been on Ultram since January.

I definitely need something stronger. I also have not had any treatments offered to me at any time. Just the medication. Iíve asked for acupuncture, nerve blocks, anything, out of desperation. I told the doctor that I wanted her to refer me to someone who would listen to me, not brush me off. I had other doctors send her e-mails suggesting other treatments, nothing out of her. She finally sent me to SF Chronic Pain Clinic. From March 8th to June 6th (my appointment) Iíve been in pain (at least a 6 everyday) and all Iíve go to take is another pill. She also wasted my time for two months by only seeing me once for 15 minutes and then transferring me to SF Chronic Pain. So from November 19th the date of injury to the present time (7 months) they had not done ANYTHING to address my pain. Talk about service. They should be bending over kissing me aó sorry, just needed to vent. Donít want to scare anyone away. Am I doing the right thing? Iím just fed up with the waiting game.

Thanks,
T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread