It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
(male)

Otter66 HB User
Morphine/ Drug Test (hair)

Just a quick question about drug-testing and morphine. I am right in
the middle of an ugly divorce UNFORTUNATELY, My wife has made some unbelievable accusations about me/and my chronic pain (i.e. like I can't have visitation with my 2 year old daughter because I may "fall asleep" while driving my car unexpectedly, due to the opiods I take (which is not true based on all the studies I read/researched). Anway, I have taken about five "hair" drug-screens to prove that I am drug-free execpt for my medications from my pain clinic. This is due to another false-accusation made by my wife. Anway, on every hair-test that I have taken, Neither the Kadian (morphine) that I take nor the Rixocondone that I take now (or the percocets that I took b4) have ever shown-up in the test results. Everthing was always "negative".... That is, until a few days ago, when I got my most recent hair test back. Everthing was still "negative", except under the "opiods" section, where I showed that I was positive for "morphine", but negative for codeine or 6-MAM (don't know what that is..).

My question is: Why didi the morphine show-up now, when it never showed-up before this on the exact same kind of test? I have not had any dosage changes for about 2 years! I called my pharmacist, and she said that opiods do not build-up in hair folicles for a LONG time, and it may have taken all this time for the morphine level in the hair get to the point where it would show-up in the GA Test. She said the lower oxycodone amounts that I take still haven't built up to the "positive" point yet, so that's while it was negative.

Does this sound right? Any experience/help in this matter would be helpful.

Thanks,

Otter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Morphine/ Drug Test (hair)

Hey Otter, THe 6MAM is a heroin metabolite, morphine leaves behind M6G and M3G and the oxy is keto opiate that only specific drug test can detect and those are only presumptive positives without GC-MS.
Good luck, although she does have a point about driving while on opiates, It is against the law regardless of what you have read about accomadation and not egetting high when in pain, Under the law, your driving under the influece, Head it off at the pass and agree not to drive with daughter, use public transportation, have her drop off and pick up or have a friend/family member drive. Don't try to argue your not impaired, under the law you are. That's all that counts. You can be as comfrortable as you want driving, you could be on the same dose for 25 years, you may not be able to drive without them, but she's making an issue about a point of law.

Unless your loaded and prepared to bring the best of the best forensic guys to court to have your laws changed, don't fight a law even if you don't ageee. Conceed the driving to be able to see your daughter and to reduce the issue. Otherwise a judge may revoke your licence if it gets ugly and she brings a couple cops to court that have witnesed MVA's with fatalities from people on prescription drugs. JMO

Do what you have to do to see your daughter, making it a non issue rather than arguing the point makes more sense and cuts down on court time that you wouldn't likely win and have laws changed for people that are accomadated to medication, how do you prove that?
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-31-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
(male)

Otter66 HB User
Unhappy Re: Morphine/ Drug Test (hair)

Good Morning, Shoreline.... Man, do I hurt this morning! I've been counting down the days until my next pain clinic appointment, set for this Tues 6/7 at 9:10am. As you are aware, I have been really struggling w/my medications that I am on, and am determind this time to get some true relief from the NA or the physican himself.

Thank you for the info on the 6MAM heroin metabolite; I tried to read-up on the chemical structure of morphine, how it binds to the hair, ect yesterday, and boy oh boy, it takes some sifting thru alot of unnessary websites and red-herrings to get to some useful or applicable info. You are absolutely right about the driving while under the influence of opiods issue. You said

"Unless your loaded and prepared to bring the best of the best forensic guys to court to have your laws changed, don't fight a law even if you don't ageee. Conceed the driving to be able to see your daughter and to reduce the issue. Otherwise a judge may revoke your licence if it gets ugly and she brings a couple cops to court that have witnesed MVA's with fatalities from people on prescription drugs. JMO"

This is almost exactly what my attorney said to me after I brought-in several articles about driving and opiods. He told me that the articles are not allowable in the court, and that I would have to get an "expert" witness to testify in court that I would be safe driving. Even if I could find somebody who would do this (and I don't think I could), I would never be able to afford it, so she knows she has me under a barrel with that one...

Thanks for post (as usual, it was helpful)... Have a good morning

Otter66

Last edited by Otter66; 06-01-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Morphine/ Drug Test (hair)

Hey Otter, Sorry to hear about the mess, children change everthing. I have a 11 year old daughter that has been my rock. It's supposed to be the other way round, but yeah I know the resentment deal. We were suposed to get better.

I'm still together with m y wife, but if it weren't for my daugter we have been through several perriods where neither one is happy and I was tired fof apologizing for everything, If the sun didn't come out, it was my fault. So who knows, She could find a happier life and I could find one without the guilt, but my daughter...

We are trying, but she just returned to work after a car accident, finding a Chiari 1 malformation in heer CT and developing seizures, she needed me and I couldn't go. But with her back at work, Things start to change back to where your ntot so needed, other than by my daughter.I've been disabled since 99, she was 5 plus I had my first surgery 30 days befre she was born, and 2nd when shas 30 mnths and was home a year then, so I have been theprimary care giver, she asks me what's for dinner, I get up and get her off, I'm hear to do homework when she gets home, I do practice and games, but she would fight me for her which just doesn't make sense, I have the time for her and always will.

Those are my custody sticking points, along with posession is 9/10 of the law. LOL .

As far as your dose, I would just be frank, You have been on the same dose for seveal years, If you were asking to go from from 200 to 300 it wouldn't be a problem. Tolerance develops, and a number right now is just a number as far as mgs. I don't care if it's 600 or 1600 as long as it works.

The NP was giving me a hard time when I was miserable at 400 after switching away from meth and that's exactly what I told her. It really is just a number and if notthis what? I just said bring in the doctor, I was too miserable to go home and wait untill my next apt with him. NPs should only have so much power. If the doc is there, and not doing procedures, he can see you. Does it really matter if they bump you 20-25% at this point.

I don't know if you have ever considerd a pump, or if your doc implants or manages them, But I don't regret the decsion one bit. The pain relief is better, more consistant, but I still have mechanical problems so I will continue to have flairs untill there is a way to stabalize things. It seems like your turning alot of control and trust over to a doc, you have to know they will work with you, your pump settings will be preportionally high, but Your head is much clearer, less side effects, Mine hasa programmed bolus from 7pm to 6am and that makes a huge difference. I've managed to get through the last 2 weeks with one roxicodone a day. It hasn't been fun and I have to pick and chose when I use one or 1/2, but I can survive and help coach my daughters softball team, I just pay for it later.

Good luck and let me know how things go.
Dave

Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
(male)

Otter66 HB User
Angry Frustrated, but thanks

Thank for the replay Dave,

Well, I guess your right about being frank. I have been stressing-over this visit since the day after my last visit. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about what I should say or not say to the NA or doctor about my meds. Since I was prescribed 2 30mg Roxicodone's/day, I have ended up taking 1 in the morning when I get up, a 1/2 at about lunch time (when by back really starts to get painful here at the job) and another 1/2 at bedtime. Unfortunately, I knew 3 days after my last visit that this wasn't going to work. I called the NA who had just seen me, didn't get him directly, but did get a msg to him about the med change not helping me as much as it should. I ended-up getting a msg from the NA's assistant telling me that the NA "had given your request for additional medication some thought" and that, "that he is just not comfortable prescribing any more medication at this time"... So all this past month, I hear his answer to my rqst when I'm in pain. I just want to shout "He's not comfortable? Hell, I am not comfortable!! " If it was his back in searing pain, and if he couldn't sleep for more than 2hrs per night without pain, and if he wasn't able to pick-up his child for more than 10 seconds at a time, would he still feel the same way?? I am soo angry at him, that I'm worried that this appointment with him on Tuesday is not going to go well. If he denies me help with my increasing pain, and I know that I'll ended up missing more work, have another month of poor sleep, and be stressed for yet another month while in pain, I am afraid I am not going to be able to hold back my true feelings.

Last visit, I did explain all about my additional pain, my extra 70 lbs of weight put on due to inactivty since my last increase ... (yes, I weighted about 205lbs when I got my last increase, now I weight 274), everthing. I didn't mention specific drugs (other than ask about the Palladone), was cool, calm , collected.. everthing that all the posts recommend that you do so you don't come-off as some kind of addict. But did it help/get through/strike a sympathetic nerve? NO. He decides to increase my break-thru meds by 10mg and is too uncomfortable to do more . I had ASKED him if it was any specific issue with ME as to why he won't increase. He said no, it wasn't ME, it was just the limits of the clinic. I tried to call and switch my appointment to the main physican, but he is out the week I am seeing the NA, so I don't know what is going to happen.

Anyway, I got to run... My lunch break is over. I know there is no easy solution, that's for responding above

Otter

Last edited by Otter66; 06-01-2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: content

Closed Thread