It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Tyneyboy HB User
Duaration of action, benzodiazepines as muscle relaxants.

I know all the half lifes, but it doesn't really answer my question. As I'm pretty certain the half life is longer than the effect for this purpose.

What is the typical length of action for the common benzos when they are used for muscle relaxing properties? Mostly concerned with Valium & Klonopin & longer half life benzos.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Duaration of action, benzodiazepines as muscle relaxants.

Hey Phos, Valium is a a true muscle relaxer, it works both on the brain and the muscular skeleton sytem where most meds simply work on the brain or the skelatal system. Average dosing and effective dosing is usually 3 times a day, every 6-8 hours. For severe spasm, like post op spasm after fusion or TKR where muscles really are fighting to acomadate a new position 4 times a day is the max dosing interval.

Klonopin although a benzo, really isn't a muscle relaxer, It's anti anxiety effect and sedation can certainly be felt and often helps in acute flairs when you can't catch your breath but they really have 2 entirly different uses. Even with Klonopin half life it's also a TID med and sometimes a QID at lower doses.

The only problem with valium is the hypnnotic state and inability to create new memories while on it. I also find it looses it's effectivenss rather quickly. 10 mgs at night worked extremely well the first few days, both as a muscle relaxer and as an opiate potentiator. But by the 3rd day, It's like where did the other half of the dose go. Tolerance to valium drowsiness and effectiveness accurs quickly and often needed dose increases come faster than accomadation to the short term memory disruption. So you may need more for spasm befoe the amnesia gets any better.

It is by far the best muscle relaxer, but even I had my choice I would use it very sparingly to keep it effective. I would prefer to have 10 pills a month to use in conjunction with one of the other muscle relaxers for days when a med like Soma simply isn't cutting it.

Your right , people often confuse half life with duration. By defnition alone, you only have half in your system at that 18 hour half life mark that you had at the one hour mark. So how far can your serum level drop before it looses it's effectveness, alot less than it's half-life. That's why TID and QID dosing in extreme cases is still appropriate for both long acting benzo's.

Hope you find some relief for the spasms. Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-08-2005 at 06:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Tyneyboy HB User
Re: Duaration of action, benzodiazepines as muscle relaxants.

Thanks, Dave.

I've never had it outside of IV. Maybe I just don't remember any memory problems, heh, but I sure don't recall them from that. On the other hand, versed erased most of my day and the 12 hours after was a complete blur so I sure know they have the potential...

I see the docs tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some relief by then. Its been one of those can't sleep because of it, and not sleeping is making everything else hurt as well couple days.

Closed Thread