It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Question Does Oxycodone cause muscle/organ spasms?

I was wondering, if anyone had ever heard of Oxycodone causing things like the muscle spasms that we sometimes have in our legs, abdomen, etc? For the last few months, I have been having spasms in SO many different areas of my body, its starting to really concern me. Seems as if its moving around my body--from the legs to the arms, eye spasms, hands, the feet and toes, and all the while, it has been spasming in my abdomen on the left and right sides, near the kidney areas.

I have had almost every other medication of mine changed recently except for my daily 81mg Aspirin, and 45mg Oxycodone, so it has me wondering if they might be related to the spasms? I ran across some info saying that Oxycodone can cause a spasm in the areas related to urination, and in another area may cause spasms with an organ I wasnt familiar with, but that is all I could find.

So Im still left wondering what could be causing these spasms to be travelling around my body....anyone have any ideas or experience this? Thank You!

Last edited by Phlox; 06-07-2005 at 09:25 PM.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tyneyboy HB User
Re: Does Oxycodone cause muscle/organ spasms?

The word you are looking for is myoclonus, and yes Oxycodone / Morphine / Hydromorphone / Probably all of them ... can all cause it. They can mask it a bit with benzos, but you might want to try a different opioid and see if you still get the side effect. Different opioids have different active and (believed to be) inactive metabolites. I believe fentanyl is the least likely of them to cause this problem as it has very few metabolites your body has to deal with. M3G (in morphine) is one of the most notorious for causing that side effect. You might also want to get some blood work done, complete liver & kidney function test. Mg, Na, Glucose levels should be checked as low levels can cause this problem too.

Myoclonus can also start on its own, and a whole variety of drugs can cause it as a side effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Phos, I'm not sure rectal spasms fall into the catagory of myoclonus, and they are a possible side effect of OxyC that I did experience. It's Like walking along and suddenly getting goosed with an ice pick. It wasn't a pleaseant experience but only lasted a couple weeks, It will stop you in your tracks and make you look around through.

I would much rather put up with myclonus or the RLS type sypmptoms. Librax did help with the unusual spasm I expereinced. They eventually stopped, I guess as I became acustomed to the drug oxyC.

Nothing I want to experience again or anytime soon.
Take care, Dave

Old 06-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Question Re: Does Oxycodone cause muscle/organ spasms?

Thank you so much for the replies and information, yet Im still uncertain---So is this something that I should be worried about?? I have been on the Oxycodone for quite awhile now (at least 6 months) so its not the getting used to it going on, Im sure. I am just wondering if this will go away on its own or is this not normal to be happening after being on the drug for so long now? I wouldnt want to continue using something that could eventually lead to something like my heart start to spasm, if thats possible??

You said I should have my blood checked, which makes me sorta worried about it, but I did have it checked just about 3 months ago and it was all good, and I was getting a bit of the abdomen spasm at that time too...altho it has increased in intensity as well as in different places as well since then. The spasms are mainly in my abdomen area, but also travel around sometimes into my arms, legs, and eyes, etc.....so should I be concerned?

I did actually mention this to my doctor last time I was in, and she didnt seem to really make anything of it and didnt even mention that there were such possible side effects....sometimes my Dr.'s Office is more in a hurry than they are anything else Im just hoping its only an "annoying" side effect, as opposed to a serious one? What do you think? I wouldnt want to continue using something that could eventually lead to something like my heart start to spasm, if thats possible?? Thanks again for your help!!!

Last edited by Phlox; 06-08-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Question Re: Does Oxycodone cause muscle/organ spasms?

Thanks to your info, I have done a bit of reading up on Myoclonus and have found it very informative---thank you so much Phos & Shoreline!! The wording I have found on the topic still leaves me wondering tho, if it is serious enough a problem for me to consider changing meds again? I dont really want to do that tho, b/c after several different meds I find the Oxycodone is the best so far in managing my pain---and until now---had the least side effects.

The articles often refer to Myoclonus as a "twitching of the skeletal muscle" and list Opiod Therapy as one of the possible causes, yet my experience with it so far seems to feel more like its "organs" in my abdomen...in addition to the spasms I feel in my eyes, arms, legs, etc. I suppose what I read thru so far doesnt say whether or not its a side effect that can be serious, or if its just more of a "pesky" side effect....? Like I said in my last post, what concerns me is that if it can cause spasms in general, I worry that it might cause something like the Heart to spasm or something.

Do you guys think that its something that requires changing meds because it can get worse or become life-threatening? Or do you think its something that can be ignored if its tolerable, with no serious complications likely to come from spasms/myoclonus? Im surprised that more people havent reported this problem, unless maybe its not very common. For me, it was a very strange sensation to have several parts of my body having spasms at the same time; Its not so much that they are painful or anything, just that it made me start to wonder why it was happening and if it was a bad sign. I can learn to ignore it since its not even close to being as bad as the pain I have.....I would just like to know if its anything more than "just another side effect?"

Thanks again SO much for the help----the people on this board are Amazing, and the replies & information are always appreciated!

Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Do you have any sort of cervical or upper thorasic spinal cord problems?I am just asking as i do have damage to several areas in there but the damage to my cortico spinal tract is what is supposedly causing my freaky spasms.I also recently found out(on this board) about the narcotic possibility so who knows but damage to certain spinal nerves and tracts can be a cause as well.you mentioned that you had lab work done and everything came out fine?Do you know if they happened to check your magnesium and potassium levels?Depletions of these two things can cause some pretty intense spasms all over your body as well.Just some thoughts.I know these spasms just suck, I hope you can resolve yours soon.Marcia

Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Hmm...thanks for your info Marcia...I dont have any kind of back/spinal problems that Im aware of, but I dont think they had checked my magnesium and/or potassium levels in my last blood test, so that could be a possibility also for me to consider. I will have to remember those two things the next time I go in---and start eating more bannanas, hehe!!

As long as were on the subject of long-term opiate use, since Im now at about the 6 month mark I have just one more curious question that Ive seemed to notice recently: Has anyone else had that feeling of being "bloated" or sort of "swollen" rofl? I know it sounds strange, and the only thing I can think of is the water retention that is normal with these, but I just found it a strange experience that I only recently seemed to notice. Anyone else in Pain Management know what I mean by that?

Old 06-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlox
I was wondering, if anyone had ever heard of Oxycodone causing things like the muscle spasms that we sometimes have in our legs, abdomen, etc? For the last few months, I have been having spasms in SO many different areas of my body, its starting to really concern me. Seems as if its moving around my body--from the legs to the arms, eye spasms, hands, the feet and toes, and all the while, it has been spasming in my abdomen on the left and right sides, near the kidney areas.

I have had almost every other medication of mine changed recently except for my daily 81mg Aspirin, and 45mg Oxycodone, so it has me wondering if they might be related to the spasms? I ran across some info saying that Oxycodone can cause a spasm in the areas related to urination, and in another area may cause spasms with an organ I wasnt familiar with, but that is all I could find.

So Im still left wondering what could be causing these spasms to be travelling around my body....anyone have any ideas or experience this? Thank You!
Hi Phlox,

My eyes shot open when I was reading your post that Oxycodone can cause spasm in the areas related to urination. I just started taking Oxycontin two days ago. Unfortunately, I had a very embarassing thing happen on the second night. I woke up and had urinated within the first two hours of going to sleep. I was absolutely amazed and scared. I am taking 2 40 mg every two hours.

I looked through the internet and so far could find very little relating to this problem. Last night I was fine so I am hoping it was a one time deal. I am not having any other spasming throughout my body. I was wondering if anyone would have more information on this or could know where I could find this info.

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 06-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Im not sure hangin, the spasms I get are mainly in the abdomen area, and sometimes in the arms, legs, and eyes. And I also get the "bloated" type feeling sometimes, as if I am not able to process the water I drink or something, its strange---maybe "pressure" in the abdomen and legs/ankles would be a better way to describe it. Im not sure if thats from the way that Oxycodone can restrict blood-flow to the kidneys, or if its just from a water-retention side effect? Both??

For either symptom, Im just wondering if theyre actually serious or not? I'd like to make sure before talking to my Doctor again, if either the bloating/pressure, or the spasms are anything I should worry about, or if theyre just an annoying side effect of Oxycodone?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Tyneyboy HB User

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been battling my own spasm problem after an injection into my hand irritated the nerves, looked like popeye with inflammation in my forarms. Not been a happy camper for a few days.

Phlox, as far as myoclonus side effects from opioids and the heart - Not that I know of, it would be exceedingly rare if it did happen. There is an actual neurological disease with the name as well, but its also exceedingly rare, and I don't even think it causes heart spasms. AFAIK the neuro disease usually has a lot of confusion and delerium going on at the same time, so I wouldn't spend any time worrying about that.

The reasons for the blood test is to rule out other causes first and foremost. Dehydration/overhydration as well (electrolyte and sodium levels being way off) can cause those type of spasms & jerky muscle movements as well. Also the test are for liver & kidney function so they rule out problems there - sometimes if your liver isn't processing things out efficiently metabolites can build up and cause those symptoms. Your doc probably checks these at regular intervals anyway, but with those symptoms might as well check it again, the test is cheap for peace of mind & being certain.

If its causing you a good deal of distress, its probably worth changing. You might mask it with some other drugs, but that to me is not as good of a solution as finding a drug that agrees with your body in the first place. It's a good idea to get on the horn with the doc anyway, some of the symptoms you describe aren't the typical opioid induced side effects, so you may have something else going on.Typical is more like restless legs, tremors, jerky movements in the arms, sometimes a group of muscles or two groups of muscles (and yeah, it can strike more places than those, but the extremities are a lot more common).

Opioids can cause fluid retention, and affect your urinary habits. Usually you go less, and it can be a problem if it goes on long enough.

No harm in getting on the phone with the doc and seeing if she wants you to come in,it sounds like you need to get it looked at anyway to me, if only just to make sure everything else is working okay.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Thank you so much for the reply Phos, I appreciate it! Youre right, I was reading about the neuro disease of the same name, and it had me a bit concerned wondering if they were somehow connected, rofl, so you have definitely put my mind at ease!

That sucks---about your arm looking like Popeye---altho you made it sound rather funny Im sure it wasnt.....hopefully by now youre feeling better and the swelling is down? Just thinking about shots messing with nerves is giving me bad flashbacks....*shudder*

But youre right, Ill still be discussing some of that with the doctor just to make sure, but knowing that these spasms and water retention arent going to cause anything more serious, really makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks Alot Phos, take care and GOD bless!!

Last edited by Phlox; 06-10-2005 at 09:46 PM.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

I've never heard of oxy or any other opiate causing you to have bathroom accidents. I know it does cause urinary retention though and with some people this can be a serious problem. I wonder if you (Hangin) were maybe overly sedated and that's why you didn't wake up? Just a thought is all. I have problems with my bladder that will eventually need surgery but the opiates help control it about 95 percent right now. Before I was going to the bathroom approximately every half hour and probably 5 times during the night. Now I only go every few hours and only get up once, maybe twice, during the night.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Phlox, i just happened to see(on another thread) that you have liver problems as well?I just wanted to mention to you that during the months when my son was in liver failure,until his Tx,one night he develpoed these horrid spasms and actual contortions in his arms?And what the eventual cause was was the magnesium deficiency that I posted about before?once his mag level was stabilized with mag ox 400 daily, all of the spasms went away.Have you had that level checked recently?Just a thought.Just curious as to what exactly is wrong with your liver,if you don't mind sharing that info?Marcia

Old 06-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User

Thank you Marcia, I will have to ask for the Magnesium level to be checked, altho lately Im starting to feel that my doctor acts like Im being a pain....theyre always SO packed to the hilt with people in there and in such a hurry, that sometimes they act as if youre being a pain just by asking questions. I would really like to change my doctor and have been thinking about it lately, but thats a whole 'nother pain in the butt---I was getting tired of having to go over all of my history with them (a long, complex one with several operations) and having to catch them up to date (its one of those large HMO setups where they have like 12 different doctors in there), so it was nice to finally have the major doctors in there familiar with me enough on a personal basis. I dont know, its such a pain to deal with them, but I will def. be asking them to check my magnesium & potassium levels the next time---even if they give me an attitude about it---so thank you for letting me know about that!

As far as my Liver, I was at one point on 3 different meds that had Acetaminophen/Tylenol/Apap in them, and I didnt realize at that time how that could have an effect on the Liver. Whats worse, is that my doctors didnt ever mention it either I started to get strange symptoms like the "bloated" feeling (which is another reason why I wonder about having that feeling again, altho my last test showed normal so it may be the water retention now?). And I started having pretty bad episodes of Anxiety, that was well beyond anything I had experienced before.

Ironically enough, it was after reading thru some of the posts in here (and I think maybe even some posts/replies from you! ) that I started to guess what was happening. When I went into the docs office, it was ME that told them about the Liver/Tylenol connection, and it was ME that had to request a Liver panel blood test. Sure enough, all of my Liver Enzymes were high, well beyond normal. Also after an Ultrasound, it showed I had an Eciphrigol (sp?) Liver (fatty liver) and was taken off of most of the Apap in my meds.

As of my last blood test (about 3 months ago), all of my enzymes were normal and everything else they checked was normal, but the second Ultrasound still showed a fatty liver. So that was another reason I was changed over to the no Tylenol Oxycodone even though the Hydrocodone was giving me better relief for my pain. We tried some compounding pharmacies for the low Tylenol versions of Hydro, but my Insurance was being a serious PAIN and I was having trouble even getting scripts filled, so thats kind of where I am now, using the Oxycodone for pain, only using Tylenol in the Sinus tabs I use, and wondering what some of these symptoms are.

Im kind of hoping that Phos is right, and that its not much to worry about and a normal side-effect that I dont really have to worry about, but thanks to you Marcia I will def. be having my doctor check my Magnesium and Potassium levels, and have my Liver Panel done again to make sure thats pumping as well, lol! Thanks so much for the info about your sons experiences, its more help and comfort than you may realize, and information that I will be bringing up to my doctor---whether theyre in a hurry or not!!

OH, BTW! Do you think that taking daily vitamins would help? Last week I started taking a multi-vitamin after reading one of your posts and eating TOTAL Raisin Bran b/c it has so much in it, so Im hoping that will help. When you say Mag 400mg OX, is that just a supplement, or something else? The multi-vitamin Im taking now has only 75mg of Magnesium and 49mg of Potassium, so Im not sure thats quite enough. Thanks so much!!

Last edited by Phlox; 06-12-2005 at 02:53 PM.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #15
(male)

darkmantis HB User

I have been on Oxycontin for 4 years and just recently started having muscle spasms in my legs and theyre severe.I have to move my legs continously or the spasms get worse until i do..

Closed Thread