It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User
Hydrocodone question

I have to admit I find all these "codone" medications confusing. I'm taking oxycodone because so far it's the only thing that even touches my pain. It really isn't doing much, however. I've also tried the patch and hydromorphone. I'm wondering where does hydrocodone fit in all this. I've never found codeine (as in tylenol 3) to have any effect. Is hydrocodone just another form of codeine so that trying it would be a waste of time, or could it possibly be something worth looking into since a number of you seem to get superior pain relief from it?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Hydrocodone question

Hydrocodone is stronger than Tylenol #3 or #4. Oxycodone' that you're taking is stronger than Hydrocodone. I'm sure others will jump in here to give you more detail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
(male)

stevendixo HB User

they say morphine is as strong as hydrocodone but as me saying i was on norco10 for about 4 mo and it worked at first but the tolerance i built for the med it wasnt right for me ive tried alot of diffrent pian meds in the last 7 mo from fentanyl to oxycontin to hydromorphone and then my dr put me on mscontin and it works where the fentanyl didnt and its alot stronger everyone is diffrent the hydrocodone might workfor you for now like it did me but the only thing is your body builds a tolerance to it fast good luck on staying pain free

Old 06-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Linda,

Are you using Oxycodone as a base med or is it for breakthrough pain? You may need to use a LA med and use Oxycodone for b/t. This is a very popular use for Oxycodone, because as the other posters indicated, you can build up a pretty fast tolerance to Oxycodone, but as they also said, everyone reacts differently to narcotics. When I first began using narcotics for pain, and started posting on the PM board, that is the first thing I noticed, that everyone reacts to all these types of narcotics so differently. I guess that's why there are so many different types of opiates out there and more yet to be developed.

I began on Hydrocodone and DID build up a tolerance quickly but also noticed that as my pain worsened, the Hydrocodone was less effective. I believe it's a good med for acute pain but not for chronic pain. Oxycodone has been the only b/t med that helps my b/t pain so far, and I've tried 4 different meds for b/t meds since January. I use the Duragesic patch as my LA med, just began that in January, and we've been tweaking my combination of b/t meds ever since.

I used Percocet for nearly 3 years as my base med until it came time to go to LA meds, and the Percs worked the best for my kind of b/t pain (Fibromyalgia), but Percs aren't dosed high enough, while Oxycodone is. Right now my PM doc started me on 30mgs Oxycodone 2 times daily and I think he'll bump that up to 3 times a day. It was his PA who gave me the script for Oxycodone, so I think she was starting on the low side for daily dosing. Anytime I've gotten a script for b/t meds from my PM doc himself, it's always been given TID. I don't need it everyday, but when I do need it, two a day isn't quite enough. I've been cutting one in half and using just half a tab in the morning and at noon and a full tab in the evening. I'd like to be able to take one full tab when I get up and if my pain is really bad, one at noon, then again in the evening. Though I don't do that unless my pain is spiking ALL stinkin' day, but I like to know that the dosage is there for me if I need to use three doses, I don't want to take more than I've been prescribed for fear of running out early.

I've been in Pain Management for only 3 years now and I really haven't switched meds too much. Maybe tried 6 or so different meds til I finally am now on a good "cocktail".

I'm sorry I rambled on so. I don't know if any of what I posted will help you. Just some personal experience to share. I was mainly curious as to what you are using the Oxycodone for: Base med or b/t? It is true what the other posters said, Oxycodone is a lot stronger than Hydrocodone. I know all the names of these meds are so confusing. Hydro, Oxy, MS this or MSIR that (or is it MSRI? ) , contin here and there thrown in too! LOL I usually will try to find a place on the Net that gives info about a specific med by breaking it's components down, so I know what it's "pain killing" component is and any generics that are available and what their names are. You can usually find out about a specific med pretty easily and how it works on pain, and even what types of pain it works best for.

Hope this helps. I would just speak with your doc who prescribes your pain meds about "tweaking" your medication cocktail. Personally I used Hydromorphone and it did nothing for me, neither did Methadone, both these were used for b/t meds. The Duragesic works well. I did bump up to 75ugh pretty quickly though, but it has a pretty wide dosage available, so I don't think 75 is by any means my limit! It's so hard to find a good mix, and it does get frustrating trying so many different meds. Especially if you find out they don't help you and your stuck with them until you see your PM doc in 30 days. Makes for a long month.

I guess pain meds fall into the same old saying as finding true love: "You have to kiss a lot of toads to find your prince." ***wink***

Keep us posted,
tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 06-13-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

momofsix HB User

At this point I am only using oxycodone IR 10 mg breakfast, lunch and supper and 20 mg bedtime - so I guess it's a base medication since I don't use anything else. The problem is I'm not sure it's working at all - perhaps the pain would be the same whether I used them or not, but it's just too hard to tell since you get into withdrawal if you stop. I think it's just the psychological benefit of having something to take with the hope it's making a difference.

I've tried the long-acting, but none of them have helped at all. Oxycontin seemed to actually increase my pain level the higher I went, so I ended up in quite a mess. The fentanyl patch did nothing for my pain even at the 100 mg level and made me feel nauseous 24/7. The doctor said this would pass, but it could take several months. I couldn't even imagine suffering several months of nausea on top of the pain. Hydromorphone-contin caused whole body muscle spasms at night, and again, did little for the pain. This is a very scary thing to suffer pain that nothing works on.

So I guess my next step is methadone. I'm pretty scared of that, mostly because if THAT doesn't work, then what do I do? By the way, my pain is labeled "phantom" or central pain, and it's in my mouth (started after a root canal).

Linda

Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hey there Linda,

You know who knows a lot about "phantom pain" is Shoreline. He might have some pain med suggestions for you.

You may want to direct a question directly to him in a new thread. I'll bet he has an answer or at least a suggestion for you that will lead you down the right path.

Give it a try and post a thread asking Shore for some info.

Couldn't hurt!

tk

Closed Thread