It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User
Need list of fast acting/break thru meds

My PM Dr happens to be a GP and knows very little about BT meds other that Norco and those that contain meds like acetominophen or ibuprophen. I have been taking Norco, up to 80mg/day (2600mg aceto/day) for over a year. I want a BT med void of any other med.

Can you folks help me get a list together of these types of meds, the dosages they come in, who makes them and how they compare to 10mg Norco? I will them present this info to my Dr for review and he will decide if he wants to change.

He doent see any problem with the Norco's acetominophen load and I dont really see it either. However, why take something that is completely unneccessary??

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
(male)

erfan HB User
Re: Need list of fast acting/break thru meds

Some of the opiod only meds you can consider are MSIR (Instant Release Morphine), Oxy IR and Oxycodeone (Fast acting oxycodone), Roxicodone (30mg Oxycodone, which is what I use now for BT).

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

You can get for example hydrocodone 30/ 50 if you went to a compound pharm. like wolf mentioned,they also have oxycodone i.r in 5mg-15 mg,and 30 mg. Just wondering,what are you taking besides the norco? And they also make the norco 10\ 325

Last edited by madhatter; 07-21-2005 at 12:27 PM. Reason: forgot

Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User

Prior to yesterday I was taking:

40mg Oxycontin qid
20mgs Norco 10/325 q6h (80/2600mgs a day)
.5mg Xanax tid or 2mg Klonopin bid **
10mg Baclofen tid
1%/50mg AndroGel applied tid (testosterone replacement)
60mg Cymbalta qd
3mg Lunesta hs

** max dosages but I was taking at PRN levels and chose based on needs-anxiety level. Never took both in same day. Dr gave me choice and it worked well.

As of today I am taking:

50mcg Duragesic 72hr patch
20mg Norco 10/325 prn for BT pain
150mg Wellbutrin XL qd (ramping up to 300mg)
.5mg Xanax PRN
10mg Baclofen tid
30mg Temazepam hs

We made major changes at my Dr appy yesterday because of side effects I was having with some of the meds.

I see both scenarios as a major load on the Kidneys and Liver. I had to actually explain to my Dr that acetaminophen is not only bad for the liver, it destroys the kidneys and 2600mg/day is the cut off for non drinkers like myself. I did my research. I asked him to run blood work to check my liver and kidneys just as a precaution. I would be pretty p.o.'ed if it caused a problem when I didnt need it in the 1st place. I am only taking Norco because that is the med this GP is most familiar with. When I started talking about BT opiates void of other meds he was clueless and admitted it. He told me he would consider looking at what ever I came up with. Logic would say to take what ever Norco (hydrocodone) is minus the acetaminophen. What is really making me mad is trying to do research on the net about this and all the search engines do is pull up thousands of online illegal pharmacies. What is even more alarming is that many of these BS sites are positioning themselves to look like legit research sites. Ohhhh that irks me.

Anyway, I guess what I need to know is what is the med called that is basically just the opiate in norco/hydrocodone?

Norco or Hydrocodone - acetaminophen = ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter
You can get for example hydrocodone 30/ 50 if you went to a compound pharm. like wolf mentioned,they also have oxycodone i.r in 5mg-15 mg,and 30 mg. Just wondering,what are you taking besides the norco? And they also make the norco 10\ 325

Old 07-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

There isn't a med with Hydrocodone without apap. You would have to go to a compound pharmacy and have it made up. It will cost more, but depending where you are, there might not even be one available. I don't think there is one where I live. Your best bet may be to make the switch to Oxycodone. You can get Oxy (only) in 5, 15, and 30 mg. Roxicodone is the 15 and 30. Good luck.

Closed Thread