It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

zuzu23 HB User
Question Mixing Perc. with other pain meds.

Does anyone know of any other pain killers that are safe to take with Percocet? I want to know if I can take Percocet (Oxycodone w/ Acetaminophen) with either Demerol or Codeine tabs. or T3's. I am having major crisis pain (had an injury of sorts as well as the chronic pain) and just the Percocet is not doing much if anything at all.

Thanks.

Zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Inactive

zandy HB User
Re: Mixing Perc. with other pain meds.

Percocet is usually given with long acting narcs. Two short acting narcs are typically not givan together, as the ones you mentioned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Mixing Perc. with other pain meds.

Although 2 short acting meds are not usually given together, There is no harm in it if supervised by a doc. Taking an LA and SA med is taking two opiates, Taking percocet and demi is taking 2 opiates. However if you have the Demi and T-3 from prior procedures and presently take percs for CP, there is the potential for random drug testing by PM docs and taking left over meds from other procedures would certainly be frowned upon by your PM doc and considered self medicating. Makes more sense to call him or seek treatment for your injury and then call him to inform him of a med change or addition of a new med.

But there is no dangerous interaction between these meds, other than thier combined effect if your not used to taking that much opiate and the amount of tylenol your consuming if using the T-3's. Demi shouldn't be used long term but you can combine or alternate different opiates with your docs aproval.

Good luck, Dave

Old 08-01-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

zuzu23 HB User
Question Re: Mixing Perc. with other pain meds.

Thank-you both for all the great info. Just want to clarify something: If I were to take either codeine piulls, or T3's or demerol with the Percocet just once, would it be likely okay, or is it really dangerous?? I'm not meaning to plan on doing this; just that the other night, I was in such bad shape and would like to know if this in an option just for future reference. I took 1 Percocet and was still in rough shape after it should've kicked in, and wondered if it was safe to mix with Demerol or Codeine.

Would this be really scary, or likely okay?

Thanks again to both of you for the info. I'm still pretty new to the world of chronic pain (but have been around long enough to respect anyone who can live this way.)

Zuzu

Closed Thread