It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User
How bad for you a pain pills?

I dont suffer from what I would call chronic pain, my pain comes and goes from day to day, from various ski accidents that I endured this past winter. I am fairly concerned about health and I was curious if Hydrocodone or Tramadol is bad for your body? I will deal with the pain if these medications are bad for you, I've tried all the OTC and none of them do it for me, I've used both hydrocodone and tramadol for pain and they were both effective but I don't like to take medacine. Any input would be appreicated.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
(male)

erfan HB User
Re: How bad for you a pain pills?

First of all, before you start on opiate treatment, there could be some other things to try like physical therapy, other non-narcotic meds (Tramadol is non-narcotic, btw), steroid injections, etc.

If you don't have chronic pain, narcotics are really not the treatment of choice. Opiate threapy means that you are exchanging relief for opiate dependence. All of us taking opiates get dependent. That simply means that once the opiates are stopped, we will suffer from withdrawal.

If you do not have chronic pain, you really do not want to have to become dependent to get relief for pain that comes and goes. Opiate therapy usually means taking a long acting "baseline" med daily and having short term meds for breakthrough pain. But if you pain is not chronic, it means you will be taking long acting meds some days when you have no pain.

And, if you pain requires short term meds only, it would seem to be acute pain, the type of pain associated with say, a surgery, or a dental problem. But I would think that most GP's will not prescribe opiates for a skiing injury that comes and goes.

Most of us on this board who are in opiate therapy are seeing pain management doctors because we have pain that is constant, affects our quality of life, and
cannot be controlled with any other therapy.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Wolf is very right in what he posted to you,you don't want to start down this road at all if you can possibly avoid it as it does come with a price and many possible problems.Getting to the source of your pain through diagnostic tests would really be the way to go here.See what the biggest pain generators are and treat those accordingly and the pain should subside on its own hopefully.also, during this process, talk with your doc about the best and most effective ways of treating your particular type of pain issues.some ways are much more effective than others for a particular cause of pain.Use any narcotics as a true last resort.And treat the pain with a minimal amount.There are just sooo many possible problems that can come with the use of narcotics.if you don't have to, don't.See your doc to get this process started.good luck,marcia

Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Thanks Zden, thats all I was asking. I've taken pain pills before and I realise that they can be addictive, but I am very good at spotting problems and removing them from my life; drugs, alcohol, cigarettes,exc. I am currently training for competition next season I am on a very strict diet with lots of weight training, I just don't want to use them on occasion if they are gonna depress my bodies ability to function correctly or pack on muscle.

Closed Thread