It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User
Need advice on how to handle a Dr. who messed up.

Some of you may have read this thread [URL=] http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=304254 [/URL] about my nightmare RFL session I had last month. This Friday I have an appt with the Dr. who did this procedure and I am wondering how to handle it. I plan to "fire", so to say, this Dr. and staff. I pretty much have a good grasp on what to do and say but since many of you have been in similar circumstances I thought I would ask for 20/20 rearview advice.

The Dr. flat out failed the procedure. He violated the terms of their own FAQ and bullet points that they have on a pamphlet and website of which they directed me too as guide. I was told it "would ease my stress knowing exactly how the procedure would go. He likened me to a 13 year old girl by stating "13 year old girls" can handle this procedure without IV meds. He refused to administer post procedure pain medication, other than 5mg of Vicodin, to me even though I was in accute pain. That one even had the attending Nurses scratching their heads. Lastly, because he didnt know that my Medial Branch Blocks we done in a sitting position (he had to ask me) he failed to accomplish 3 of the 5 planned Lesionings. That last one in supposition on my part. I am not sure if that knowledge would have led him on a different path other than he said at the time, "oh know I see". He acted and appeared like he had not prepared for ME. Let it be known that this is a new Dr. to this facility and it was his first RFL done under there practice and with this independent staff. There are more issues that add to this problem and I am sure I put them in the thread above.

My plan is to go into the appointment and not really say anything about all the above untill I have heard from him, or whomever I see since its a different person everytime. I plan to try and get "their" take on the situation to see if they admit any mistakes, apologize or even put the blame on me for not being able to handle the procedure. At some point, depending on what I hear, I plan to pull out a copy of the website FAQ and the pamphlet and ask why I was advised to read it for my comfort and piece of mind when it wasnt adheard to.

After that, other than telling them that their services do not live up to my standards, I plan to say that I am moving on because of the lack of adhearance to the published information.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? I want to say that in no way am I looking to be mean spirited or unprofessional. I just think it is important to let a Dr. and their associates know that they have really done a disservice to a patient so maybe the next time, with another patient, it will go differently. I have to admit, it will also serve as a bit of closure to a very tramatic event that still has me upset.

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreaciated. My GP is on board with this. Well, he is on board with me not going back but he doesnt know that I am "firing" them. He is actively seeking another health care provider to finish the job.

Thanks!

EDIT- cut and paste the previous thread link as I could not get the URL Hyperlink function to work right.

Last edited by Bilbo; 08-09-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
(male)

dietcoke HB User
Re: Need advice on how to handle a Dr. who messed up.

Bilbo, You are a better person than I am. I would probably be so angry that I would seek some kind of legal remedy. I hope you can remain calm as you seek “closure.”

Old 08-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

i had a similar situation happen to me a few months ago.. i'd go into more details but hae recently had hand surgery and am tping with one finger (left hand)... go to your state medical board and file a complaint. list everything that happened. in my case it turned out that an employee of the med board worked in my same building...she encouraged the complaint...it turned out he had other complaints and they are investigating. they can suspend licenses. make the report..start that file..do it so others won't suffer. it does work..you can do it online.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey BC, If there are several docs at this clinic, and many NP's like most linics are using now a days, at least mine, so I finally have a complaint about my treatment.I plan on letting them know that not seeing an actual doc except for when he preses the plunger to fill my pump is a problem. The use NP's for the DEA follow up apats every month, but we were told we would see the doc every 3rd month for a follow up evaluation. An actual apt to speak with the doc about any problem.

I have a problem with the Baclofen in my pump and the NP I saw knew nothing about pumps and said we can have that taken out today?? Exactaly how she thought they were going extract the Baclofin from the mix of dilaudid and sodium cloride must just be over my head? :roleyes: She realized how stupid it was after i explained how they work and then looked at some pamphlet that described side effects of Baclofin. She deals in oral meds, IT meds have a different side effect profiile and procedded to tell me that that this problem could not be atributed to the baclofen bsed on her little pamphlet. Arghhh!!!

I could have requested to speak to a doc, but I have a fefill next week and didn't have the time. So truesday I'm complaining about the lack of seeing a real doc. I would think the DEA would have a bigger problem with a doc never seeing a patient other than for a procedure for a year or how ever it will go on than they would with that fill n or after date they did away with. I think the docs need to cover their but and see the patient every now and then. It was explained they are so buisy all they can do is procedures now, but that's not satisfactory. I get a few minutes with my refill doc but I plan on tieing him up for a while and explaining everything that's messed up about this crap. Paying for doc visits when you don't see one. Seeing NP's that know nothing about pumps and want to argue, etc etc.

Anyway, if it's a clinic, One of the docs is the medical director. He needs to know this guy isn't competant. So rather than taking your complaint to a doc that will just defend himslef or blame some unknown and unforseen problem, Scar tiissue, tight joints, being a sissy Let the director know this guy is a risk to their practice and seems to be unqualified to do interventional propcedures.

I think you will get better results, and probably a change in the doc you see if it's a multi doc practice. If there are other docs that could see you, and pocedures with this guy are your main complaint I would let them try to fix things if you don't have alot moe problems than that one procdure that went like hell. If they have a different doc, hopefully more qualified, I would give them a chance.

Everything else makes sense, be profecional, let them explain if they are, etc. I try not to burn bridges because you just never know if he will be the only option in town 5 years from now. But I would let the medical director know he needs to beef up his mal practce insurance or perhaps check this docs references. Have you checked to see if he has any complaints with any medical assciations he's afiliated with? There may be several different ones he belongs too. Good ammo if he does.

Hope things go well.
Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 08-09-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User

If the appointment was a week or two, maybe three after I probably would still be too upset to handle it without calm.

Now, if for some reason the Dr. says that it was my fault because I couldnt handle it I will get really angry because he had the tools in his bag, the meds talked about in their FAQ, and he didnt use them.

I have really thought out the legal issue. Dont think there is much there other than the violation of the FAQ and website and I dont think thats enough to lean on. Im not an lawyer so I really dont know. Im not sure if I really want to go thru anything like a lawsuit. Dont have the energy.

I simply want to know why I was handed a piece of paper and directed to a website to learn about and get comfortable with the procedure when one of the major parts was completly left out, the pain management part. "Oh, sorry, he's new here" will not cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke
Bilbo, You are a better person than I am. I would probably be so angry that I would seek some kind of legal remedy. I hope you can remain calm as you seek “closure.”

Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User

Hey Dave (Shoreline),

Same situation as yours. Multi doc facility and many NP's. Like I said in the original post, the original Dr that I was referred to and set up a 5 point plan of attack (ESI's then MBB's, then RFL...) left the practice after the ESI's were done. He was highly respected and the 2 other Dr's, Physical Therapist and a few friends said he was awesome. And he was. In between the ESI's and MBB's I saw a NP and he had left at this point and nobody told me and the had the oppotunity. I actually found out about his departure when I showed up for my Medial Branch Blocks. The receptionist told me when I checked in at the Surgical Center they use. No one from this PM office bothered to call me and tell me my original Dr. left to go do full time anasthesia for the two hospitals. Word is he burnt out of awake patients and delt with them sleeping much better. .

Who was there to do my branch blocks as a fill in? The medical director of the PM Office! Keep in mind this is 3 weeks prior to the RFL debacle. When I went back after the branch blocks worked but wore off I was "assigned" another Dr and was told he came from Los Angeles and was up on the most current of PM techniques. I guess the most current thoughts in L.A. about RFL is to do them with out any meds and make the patient scream like a 12 year old.....cuz 13 year olds can handle it.

So, I plan to also talk to the "director" and if he is "not availible" I plan to hand one of the NP's, preferably one I have never seen, a prewritten letter addressed to him so I know it has a chance to make it there. I also plan to file a medical complaint like was suggested by Josie...

Thanks for the suggestions...

Closed Thread