It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User
Question bad reaction to avinza

Has anyone had a reaction to avinza? I wound up in the hospital after starting this medication. I had complete kidney and liver failure and no one could tell me why. I was released after five days with the report that no permanent damage was done to either organ. I continued my meds and a month later I was back in the hospital. This time I had conjestive heart failure and after treatment with 80mgs of lasix, IV, I lost 36 pounds in two days. Still no explanaition as to why. My Doc. ordered a heart cath, it was fine, no evidence of heart disease, a cat scan and a pet scan. I finally wised up and took myself off the Avinza, I feel fine although I am still in pain. Does anyone have any comments on this medication. It was the lowest dose, time release morphine. Needless to say, I am terrified to take it again.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: bad reaction to avinza

Wow,that really does sound like a rather extreme reaction to something like morphine,really.what other meds are you on right now,or when this nasty episode was actually going on?i am in no way doubting what you are saying i am just kinda suprised that morphine,given the fact that it is a pure opiate,would give you this totally over the top type of reaction.it really does(normally) take a good impact from "something' rather toxic in nature(or toxic to YOU,personally) that would cause your kidneys and the liver to fail like that,really.While i know that avinza iS indeed MS,is there anything else in that particular med?had you ever had MS before,like after a surgery or something?How are your labs now?Have you had a CT done just to make sure there really IS no lasting effects from this?Do not rely on just labs alone.I would maybe look at other possibilitys here as the culprit,maybe it was an actual drug drug reaction?like i said i am in no way doubting that what you said happened actually happened,it just does not sound right,you know?what exactly did the docs tell you caused the failure?Did they even do a liver biopsy?this would have given them much more info to try and find the actual cause at the time of the actual failure.I really would get that CT done too,and another follow up in about six months if it actually shows residual damage to any organs.i am glad you are still here after having to endure all of that.i certainly hope things are better now.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

I also had a reaction to Avinza. It was no way severe like that. I just had hives/rashes/headaches/severe itching/and a little trouble breathing. Needless to say, I didn't take it very long. Of all the meds available, Morphine is the one that has absolutely no effect on me pain wise. You could give it to me all day long via orally, IV, or IM. Still, I would be in horrible pain. Might as well been giving me saline. I don't have much success with Dilaudid, either. Dilaudid helps a little bit (not much, but a little bit) but only when given IV. I definitely would not take the Avinza again, especially with the reaction that you had! Have you tried any other meds? There's only a handful when it comes to long acting meds....Morphine, Methadone, Fentanyl (Duragesic....that's what I'm on), Oxycontin, there was Palladone (long acting Dilaudid) but it was taken off the market. I think that's everything. Ask your doc if you can switch to something else.

Good Luck

Last edited by friendly_one; 10-19-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Susan, I have read plenty of posts and am aware of the potential for water retention, as in large ankles or the knees down. What you experienced is really caused by the same mechanism of action but 100 fold worse. I would stay away from all morphine and codeine products as both are in the same family. Hydrocodone is in a different family of synthetic opiates but real codeine like what's in Tylenol 3 and T-4's or Codeine contin if you live in Canada is very similar in side effects.If your alergic to morphine there is a good chance you are alergic to codeine too.
Very scarry stuff.
Good luck, Dave

Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the thing is this does not really sound at all like any sort of allergic or anaphalactic(?) type of reaction.this sort of reaction that susan had would be quite similar in nature to what would normally be seen in someone who took in a highly toxic substance,like if you caught in some type of a haz mat situation and recieved a toxic exposure to some sort of strong chemical or in say a child who accidently ate like 30 ex strength tylenol and just plain overdosed those organs with too much tylenol,do you know what I mean?

susan,do you have all of your medical records from that incident,and i mean everything that was generated by this,doc visits(including any follow ups,with all clinic notes made by your docs) labs done(most imortant really) and all hospital,including ED records.You really do need to find out just exactly what caused this and why or it could actually happen to you again,you know?I would gather up every single document related to this incident and go over it all to see if anything jumps out at you.you will need all of this as well,if the unfortunate happens and you are once agin in this situation.just get a portable file and put all of it in there.you suffered a very very bizarre type of reaction that will need very specialized attention if you are ever(hopefully not)thrust into this nightmare again.plus actcually reading all of the docs notes from your hosp stay will really give you at least some kind of an impression of what the docs were really thinking about your condition.just because you were told that they did not actually find the reasons,does not mean that they did not actually form some type of impression as to what some possible causes may have been.Just call the hosp you were in and ask for the release of information document to be sent out to you to sign and when you get it,explain the bizarre nature of your stay and that you need every little scrap of paper that is in your 'central file" that the hosp keeps on you.this would include nursing notes and docs notes and info on any testing procedure that was done on you.be specific.you really do need all of this info.i hope to god this never ever happens to you again,really.just make sure you have all of the needed info just incase,you know?Good luck,marcia

Old 10-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey marcia, I agree it doesn't sound like an alergic reaction, it sounds like water retention X100. I wonder if urinary retention could completely stop output long enough and fast enough to do this kind of damage?

Did ya know you can actualy overdose on water. The same basic things happen, the kidneys can't remove it fast enough and shut down, the blood thins and becomes diluted and saturating the liver and lungs. As bizzare as it sounds, water can kill you. Too much of anything can be harmful, but tox screens should have been done and would interesting if there was another chemcial agent invovlved.

There was a recent cas where a woman died in the hospital from too much IV saline. They weren't giveing her dex or lac ringers, just saline and 4 liters killed her.

Avinza uses fulmuric acid as a preservative and has a dosing ceiling of 1600 mgs per day becase of it. I wonder if that had anything to do with such severe problems from such a small dose.
I'm glad no permanat damage was done, It sounds like an episode of "House."
Good luck, Dave

PS. My concern was if you have this reaction to morphine, Codeine would worry me too.

Last edited by Shoreline; 10-20-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanbrennan80
Has anyone had a reaction to avinza? I wound up in the hospital after starting this medication. I had complete kidney and liver failure and no one could tell me why. I was released after five days with the report that no permanent damage was done to either organ. I continued my meds and a month later I was back in the hospital. This time I had conjestive heart failure and after treatment with 80mgs of lasix, IV, I lost 36 pounds in two days. Still no explanaition as to why. My Doc. ordered a heart cath, it was fine, no evidence of heart disease, a cat scan and a pet scan. I finally wised up and took myself off the Avinza, I feel fine although I am still in pain. Does anyone have any comments on this medication. It was the lowest dose, time release morphine. Needless to say, I am terrified to take it again.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

Hi, Thanks for all of your imput. I am also alergic to codeine. Not so severe reaction as the Avinza but codeine makes my lungs junky. I just get full of plegem and have a loose cough. I keep away from it. I'm having cancer surgery in a few weeks, thanks to my Dr. ordering a ton of tests after my last two episodes in the hospital. I have non small cell cancer in my upper left lobe of my lung. Stage 1 A. My doc says if I have to have cancer, this is the kind to have. I owe my doc a big thanks for ordering all the tests but she still doesn't know why my kidneys and liver failed. I have had both organs tested and they are fine, no lasting damage. I'm just puzzled why I wound up in the hospital twice, with two different reactions and can only blame the Avinza and dilaudid as they are the only two new meds I was given. To top things off, the nuclear (sp) glucose I was given before a pet scan caused me the break out in a rash the size of Rhode Island. A dosepak of prednisone cleared that up and I felt like wonder woman while I was taking it. Am off it now and back to what I call "normal" please continue to give me imput, I can't get any answers from the Docs except that they don't know.

Closed Thread