It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User
Tramadol

I am not familiar with this pain reliever. Can anyone give any info? Most importantly... is it a narcotic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User
Re: Tramadol

I wonder why you can't take it if you are on anti-depressants? I am just interested in any meds I have not yet tried for my chronic pain. This is one I have not heard of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey Tina: There are a lot of people taking it and like it, but I never found it worth taking. I was on it years ago and I basicly found it useless. If it were me, I wouldn't bother. Just my opinion.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
(male)

Chaddyfriend HB User

LOL director, now that is some hard core copy and paste info, lol.

~chadd

Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Thanks for the info. Always curious as to what is out there and tramadol came up in a conversation. That person thought it was non-narcotic though which is what sparked my interest. I'd love to find something that worked that wasn't such a hastle to get etc... So many rules involved with being prescribed narcotics.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Tina: I wish I had some magical ideas for you as far as a non-narcotic drug to give you some relief. Unfortunately, I'm just not aware of anything you could take and not get dependant on over a period of time. Even Ultram and Darvocet are going to give you some withdrawal type feelings for a period of time when you stop taking them.

What's the latest on your Methadone situation and what have you decided to do about it? If you feel you need the med, I still think the best thing to do is open up to your doctor and pray that he is understanding to your situation. Let us know.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
(female)

catnap HB User

I tried this drug about 9 years ago. As far as my experience with it, unless they changed it in any other way besides taking it off one list and putting it on another, it's not good for anything. I have read where a lot of people believe it's doing them some good. All I can think is that their pain is not as bad as mine or either their tolerance of pain is better than mine.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I am still taking the methadone. Struggling to take as prescribed though. I don't know. Part of me is thinking of just going back on the vicodin. I really didn't have any problems running out early etc... when I was on that. I just hated pumping all that tylenol into my system. That is why I have been trying to research some other drugs for my pain. I don't know. I guess I have to do some more research and thinking on the subject. I even thought about going thru with surgery (hysterectomy) but now I am reading a lot of info saying that some people with my condition STILL have daily pain after having the surgery. Ugh. There is just no real solution for this problem. I just have to come to peace with that. I think it will help once I can accept that.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Tina: Have you considered Oxycodone? Not Percoset, but plain Oxy with no Tylenol (apap) in it. They make it in 5, 15, and 30 mg tabs and that way you get the pain relief without worrying about the apap. It's worth checking into. It's a step above Hydrocodone (Vicodin).

Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

That is another med I have been looking into. I might run that by my doctor next month. I am really thinking that a med that I take only "as needed" works better for me than a daily. Plus, the methadone gives me too much of that "buzz" that feels good. I didn't get that from the vic's so it wasn't tempting to take more than needed. We'll have to see. I want to really have a good understanding of a few different meds to run by him in my next visit. Thanks for the advice! Oxycodone sounds like a good one since there is no tylenol in it...

Old 11-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tina: If you do decide to go with the Oxycodone, I need to let you know almost all pharmacys stock the 5 mg ones, but a lot of them have to special order the 15 and 30 mg. they just don't get enough fills for them to keep that dose on the shelf. They are also known as Roxicodone if your pharmacist has trouble finding or ordering them. I had to tell mine several years ago that they were listed under Roxicodone. There are generics now too. Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Thanks for the info! I'm writing it all down in my little not***** of "ideas". That is why I love this board! Not only friendship and support, but lots of personal experiences and information! It is so helpful to me! Thank you again!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
(female)

Aunt Gale HB User

I have been taking tramadol for about four months. It works like a narcotic, but is
not classified as a narcotic. It's effects are long lasting. I usually don't have to take
it more than once a day. However, it takes about an hour for it to kick in. The side
effects for me have been loss of appetite, dry mouth, and constipation, but they
are better, than the pain. I take 100 mg at a time.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

My understanding is Tramadol is yet another of those Tylenol + Codeine arrangements, but stronger than Tylenol 3.

I got prescribe two variants of Tramadol (Tramadol APAP and Ultram) when I hurt my back so badly earlier this year. My experience was that they didn't touch the pain- I didn't even notice I was on anything. Vicodin worked for me, but I ended up having auditory hallucinations on Vicodin, so can't take that any more either.

It definitely is frustrating trying to find something that WORKS and doesn't have major side effects. And of course there is always the risk of addiction.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
(female)

vixien66 HB User

As I just posted it is not a narcotic it is a synthetic man made drug. Originated in Germany.

Closed Thread