It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
(male)

Chaddyfriend HB User
Red face Oxycodone VS Morphine sulphate IR

OK, i got an importans question that i need answered by monday. I am now taking oxycodone 10-15 mg for br pain as needed but sometimes it just doesn ot handle the pain. Now i know oxy has a longer halflife than the msir, but would the msir handle the immediate pain better? Now i am taking 100mg of ms contin 2x daily, so do u guys think the msir would be betterthan the oxy? and wat dose should i take? thanks alot or the help guys!

~chadd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Oxycodone VS Morphine sulphate IR

Hi Chadd: Oxycodone IR and MS IR are close to the same as far as half life, I think. I could be wrong on this, but I think they're close. The thing is, I've always been told it's better to have a different med for your breakthrough med than your base med. You're taking MS Contin for your base, then it would make sense to stay with the Oxy IR for BT. I think you get better and faster relief using something different, instead of Morphine for your BT.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 11-24-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

I agree with Director. Since you're taking Morphine as a your LA med, it makes sense to change your BT med. Morphine and Oxycodone use similiar but different receptors so you should get better coverage. When dealing with pain, you want to make sure its all covered. A coulple things you could do. One is to up your LA med to reduce your BT med. Two is it up the BT med a little. You are still at pretty small dose for BT med of Oxy. Either way there is adjustments that can me made to either side

Take Care

Old 11-24-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i just need to ask this chaddy so please please do not be offended in any way,K? i know that in a previous post that you mentioned that your pain was finally under much better control than it had been since they placed you on the new meds.i am just wondering here just what level of pain control you are trying to shoot for?i am only asking this(honestly)as without really truely understanding the ins and outs of pain management(as we all were and some of us are still learning here(i know i am)could it be a possibility that you are just expecting to have full control meaning no pain at all or are you seeking out 'tolerable"?i am only asking this as before many years ago when my herniated disc was my only big issue(ah those were the days)My idea of good pain control was much much different than it is now.wayyy different.I could almost get complete and total relief with two percs every four hours and still be able to actually work.but when this spinal cord injury left me with such truely godawful hidious levels of pain,my idea changed,big time.now,my goal is to actually get to a five,for me,five would be wonderful really.i am just wondering what your expectations actually are here only because if you are hitting the bigger guns really hard now,when or if,things(i truely am hoping this wont happen chaddy really)should take a turn for the worse,it will be even harder for you to actually obtain good relief.do you know what i am trying to say here/please know that i am IN NO WAY trying to say that you are not suffering with some really horrid pain levels,believe me,your pain really sounds hidious to me,honestly,i am just wondering what your expectations are and how realistic you are being about this thats all.i would really hate to see you get to a point where nothing will work for you .Please no that I am only asking this because i am concerned for you and not doubting in the least that you are actually living in hell,K?It is just that with overwhelming pain like the majority of us suffer from here,your expectations have to be a bit lower and you cannot possibly shoot for anything close to complete relief.we have to kind of pace ourselves with all of this crappy stuff that we have to take or it will come back to bite us in the butt later,you know?I hope things stabilize for you soon or even possibly remit at some point.i am just concerned about you and your pain Chaddy,thats all.hang in there hon,marcia

Old 11-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
(male)

Chaddyfriend HB User

nononononono feelbad you have it all wrong. I am sooooooooo happy with my pain level, it is almost at a constant 4 now which is just amazing from the 7 8 it would normally be untill i took br neds just to get it to a 5 6. HOWEVER, I am still having some flare ups that are kicking my..BUTT..but the good thing is i am having them alot less. but when i do have em the 10mg of oxy is not knockin them down. I am actually very realisitc about what i hope to achieve in pm. I had almost settled on having 6-7-8 pain all the time and that was just going to be something i would ahve to deal with., but now i am soooo much closer to a manangable pain level. This is sooo exciting to me to have a pretty managable pain level now, but the only thing left to be desired is my br meds thats all. Cuz now matter how great my pain is 23 hours of the day, there could still be that 1 hour of living hell. thanks for the concern marcia, i dont take anything u said offensivly! Have a great thanksgiving today!

~chadd

Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

wow that is a huge difference in pain levels.I can see why you are excited about it,does the oxy work at all in lowering your pain or not at all/this is rather the crucial thing here.if you ARE indeed getting some relief with the oxy.i would really try and stay with that.at leastfor now,but at just possibly a higher dosage?if you can actually 'improve'on something that has shown to actually work for you,why change it if you don't have to ya know?if you can try it at a higher dose(this all depends on just what your doc is actually willing to do here)and at least give it a trial run,then do it and see how it goes.If you don't see any significant improvement,then I would look to something else.The fact that it is indeed a different med than your base med really does help.
i am glad you were not offeded at all.I just wasn't quite sure if you truely understood,thats all.hope you gobbled well yesterday.Marcia

Closed Thread