It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
(male)

Amsterdam HB User
Possible Sciatica, suggestions on treatment

I have a problem with L5/S1, waiting on EMG report and getting an MRI done. When they were doing the EMG they warned me that the needle was going to hurt at this spot, as they put the needle in I felt nothing. They turned it up and still nothing. Then they did that same spot on the other leg and I wanted to punch through the wall it hurt so bad.

My pain seems to follow the Sciatica symtoms. I have extreme pain in the leg and I've been at an 8 on the scale.

I am hesistant to get injections but I am getting very desperate for what to do to stop this pain. If anyone has advice on the best relief they got from a certain procedure, stretch, exercise, etc.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
(male)

Amsterdam HB User
Re: Possible Sciatica, suggestions on treatment

During surgery , removal of the hardware from my leg I was in extreme pain so they did a nerve block(?) not sure if thats what its called, but it was an injection into the groin area that numbed the leg for several hours. I don't recall exactly what happened as I was heavily medicated at the time but I remember them having to make a few attempts with that injection. Is it possible that nerve could have been damaged while they were trying to inject the block?
I can feel extreme pain in the groin area and when I put just the slighestest pressure on that area I can feel severe pain from my lower back through the groin , leg and into the foot.

I need to run this by the docs because if there is a possibility that the nerve is damaged in an area other than the back, than an epidural / steriod injection wouldn't be effective. Just my thoughts as of now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

I have sciatic nerve pain-mine is from mid buttock down thru my knee into my little toes...hurts like a mo-fo...mine is'nt in the groin area-but I"m positive there are nerves that run thru that area...

I'd call the doc and ask about it....

Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

heehee, hurts like a mo-fo, I like that

Old 12-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
(male)

hopenj77 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Possible Sciatica, suggestions on treatment

amsterdam getting epidurals sometimes dont kill the pain and sometimes do. if you are thinking of getting this done make sure you go to a reputable doctor. if you go to a joe smoe he can scrape the nerve ect... after the procedure you will be sore maybe even in more pain this should subcide and the docs will probably give you percs or vicodin to help with the pain, if they dont offer ask and they will most likely perscribe something for you.... the best pain medication that i was on that made me feel 100% was duregesic, but this comes with a bad withdrawl if you are not leaned off. this also masks all the pain so dont over due it you can hurt yourself worse because you fell good. whatever sleepyness and light headedness you get at first will stop after about 2 weeks of being on the drug. this drug comes in patches that stick to you and you are suppossed to change them every 3 days. the addiction to this is like that of percocet, vicoden, loracet, oxycotin,ect just a bit worse because it is delivered dirrectly into your blood stream. good luck and if you have questions about pain relievers please ask ive been on everything under the sun in the past 2 years hoping to finally get fixed and get off these meds..2 torn discs....

Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx
heehee, hurts like a mo-fo, I like that

I was just going to say the same thing Fab! Mo-fo. Hehehe!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
(male)

Amsterdam HB User

Should have the EMG back on Wedsnesday. Is there anything I should ask in reference to the nerve problem at L5/S1? I know theres a problem with the nerve but I'm not convinced that the source is the back. I don't know if theres a way to pinpoint the actual location of the nerve problem but my pain in the leg is so severe it seems impossible to be due to the back issue. I wonder if the result from the EMG could lead to a location of the problem.

Closed Thread