It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
(male)

Gabe30 HB User
Red face Doctor called me today about my blood test

He told me that he saw an increase in my liver. Whatever that means?

He told me that the percocet was causing this but that he wasn't too worried but to come back in 3 months and get another blood test.

Should I start taking OxyIR for BT pain? I'm going to make an appt. with my PM doctor and see if he'll change me over.

I take IBprofen everyday too so I'm sure that is a cause also for an increase in my liver.

I think I'll go play my XBOX 360 right now and maybe that will make my liver normal again.

Gabe

Old 12-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User
Re: Doctor called me today about my blood test

I think the ibuprofen can also do stuff to your liver...but I can't remember...

someone correct me if I'm wrong!

If you are concerned-see about switching-or if your doc didn't seem too worried-wait the 3 months...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I agree... I think that IB's can be harmful as well. But like anything, it has to be taken regularly in large quantities to even start doing damage. At least that is how my doc described it to me. I had a funky liver thing come up during 2 different cat-scans a few months ago... I was worried that it was being caused by the tylenol in the vic's I had been taking for years but my doc told me no, not unless I had also been drinking or something on a regular basis as well. Not sure if that is right or not...but that is what he told me when I was worried about it.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Gabe, I think what your doc meant was that he saw some impact of the apap on your liver, and while he was going to monitor it closely, he didnt change your orders so I would chalk it up to having a conciensious doc and not worry about it too much. You can at your next appointment bring up the fact that these medications are avalible without the added tylenol which I'm sure he already knows, still it might be worth pointing out. Have fun with your xbox, and cheer up dude, Dead or Alive 4 comes out tomorrow! Hugs, Fabby

Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

He Gabe, The test for speific liver enzymes in a liver panel. An increase in these enzymes would suggest an increasing level of dysfuntion. Your right, there is no reason for a CP patient to have to take any apap. Generic 5,15 or 30 mg roxicodone is cheaper than the generic 10 mg percs. Why not use #2 5mg oxy IR or 5mg roxicodone? It just makes more sense. AS far as permannenet damage this isn't always the case. Normal liver function can return in an alcoholic if they havn't permanantly scarred their liver. So by removing the apap, avoiding alcohol , not putting extra stress on your liver by using multiple drugs that use the same enzymes and channels to metabolize will ease the load on your liver and bring your numbers back into normal ranges.
Good luck, Dave

Old 12-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx
Hi Gabe, I think what your doc meant was that he saw some impact of the apap on your liver, and while he was going to monitor it closely, he didnt change your orders so I would chalk it up to having a conciensious doc and not worry about it too much. You can at your next appointment bring up the fact that these medications are avalible without the added tylenol which I'm sure he already knows, still it might be worth pointing out. Have fun with your xbox, and cheer up dude, Dead or Alive 4 comes out tomorrow! Hugs, Fabby

Thanks for everyone's replies! I go and see my PM doctor on January 16th and might switch to the OxyIR for BT pain. I take usually 2400mg of ibprofen/daily so I know that's probably a culprit for the elevation in my liver.

Hey Fabby I'm in love with my XBOX 360! I have Madden 06' and NBA 2K6 that I'm playing and the graphics are totally amazing.

Do you have the regular XBOX because you said Dead or Alive 4 comes out tomorrow. That's a good game. Do you play it?

I need to workout tonight since I've taken four days off due to the XBOX 360.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Wink Re: Doctor called me today about my blood test

Hi Gabe! I hope the mods don't think this is too off topic, because I think playing video games can really help CP folks. gives us something other than the pain to focus on, and for me with my nerve damage, it really exercizes my reflexes and fine motor control. I do have an xbox 360, or rather my sons have the one I gave them for Christmas. I am not a big fan of the Dead or Alive series, thats my son's domain, I like RPG's like Final Fantasy, But right now I am having a lot of fun with Guitar Hero for the PS2, the controller is a mini guitar and you learn real rocks songs, Having a blast pretending to be a face shredding rock star, LOL! Take care my friend~Fabby

Old 12-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Yeah-between the motrin or the percs-one has to go Gabe!

Sorry-but I can not stand the games....I'd rather go out and play baseball with the boys. but it hurts too bad to do it for more than a few minutes.

We got an espm game station for christmas where you throw the ball into the hole-much more fun than a video game (for me anyway!)

Old 12-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hey gabe,honestly,get a copy of your lab report and see just whats up.the percs could be a culprit here but it could be something else all together.and I do think that considering what you were just told,i would NOT wait til the middle of jan to get off the tylenol,i would call your PM today and ask about getting off the percs and placing you on oxy IR asap.really,why mess around here.you can send your pm a copy of your labs to back up your need for a change.your other doc was kinda stupid for not really explaining just what in the heck the actual problem is with your liver or what enzymes are not normal.I would call or better yet,go see him for a full explanation as soon as possible,but most importantly,get that copy of your labs for your own medical files that you 'should' be keeping at home.all NSAIDs have some effect on the liver but have much more impact on the kidneys actually.the biggest issue with the liver is that the NSAIDs kind of act the same way as aspirin or other blood thinners,in that it inhibits the clotting factors.if I were you,I would really ask the PM about the switch to the IR now vs later.why push your luck here,espescially since your other doc did not have the decency to actually explain what he saw in your labs.you need to protect your liver and kidneys as they will be on meds for probably as long as you are around.it just all starts with just basic protection when other options are availiable ya know?I hope your liver issues are not anything major.but get that lab sheet and talk with your doc,K?good luck gabe,and please let us know as soon as you find anything out.Marcia

Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
(male)

Gabe30 HB User

Hey Marcia (feelbad)

I just faxed a letter to my family doctor requesting that he sends my blood test and liver results to my PM doctor and me ASAP!

His nurse called me like I said and just said that my blood work was fine but there was an elevation in my liver but that it wasn't alarming to my doctor because he knows I take percocet and basically not worry about it but need to come back in 3 months for another blood test, blah blah blah.

I'm still knew to all of this but have a good understanding of it all because of learning from all of you on here who have lived longer with CP. Especially Fabby because she is the oldest female here at the ripe age of 73.

I'll let you know when I find out the specifics of my liver result, Marcia and everyone else.

Hugs,

Gabe (27 years young)

Old 12-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

thanks Gabe,i WILL be waiting to hear what your labs say.hopefully it is a minimal issue.it wouldn't hurt though to actually get off the percs and onto oxy IR,really,why keep taking the tylenol when you really don't have to ya know?i am just kind of concerned as even when I was wayyy back when,abusing darvocet,that has avery high amount of tylenol(650mgs) my liver labs never ever went out of range ever.i know that this does indeed happen to some people who are taking tylenol products but it should be a little red flag telling you that your liver is not metabolizing this well or your enzymes would not show up out of range,you know what I mean?getting off the percs and then retesting your hepatic labs like six weeks or even a month later will indicate whether or not it was the tylenol and not an indication of something else going on.i try and aviod tylenol at all costs now as the more i actually read about it the scareier it gets.but I do also have a polycystic liver too but even with that,my labs are still within the norm,at least for now.so at least something in my body is actually normal,lol.good luck Gabe and get onto the IR asap.and just get the tylenol out for good.Marcia

Closed Thread