It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Why is "Potential for Abuse" the worst side effect??

I have to vent. My doctor thinks antidepressants will solve my pain problems...

I have severe IBS and chronic headaches. However, no doctor will prescribe the only meds that help: opioids. I have taken them in the past with no negative side effects. They just provide fast effective relief.

On the other hand, docs are more than willing to prescribe drugs that make my headaches worse, cause blurred vision, worsen my upset stomach, make my mind race to the point where I feel like I am going crazy, and many other negative effects. I am talking about antidepressants.

My doc tells me to deal with the side effects for a few weeks to see if they go away. It makes no sense! It is clear that doctors view "potential for addiction and abuse" as more dangerous than any of the horrible side effects I experienced with antidepressants. I don't get it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Why is "Potential for Abuse" the worst side effect??

Hi Bcruth! I know there are some chronic pain patients that refuse to even take anti-depressants, because the implication they feel is that 'its in your head'. I think anti-depressants ONLY is really silly, because then they are treating a symptom of chronic pain, not the pain itself. I think you need to try and get to a new doctor or a pain managment clinic ASAP. I take anti-depressants, because non stop debilitating pain is depressing, but without my other meds to treat the pain itself the antidepressants would do nothing for me, IMHO. Hang in there and try not to get discouraged., keep posting and let us know how its going! Your Friend, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
(male)

bcruth5 HB User

I have tried several antidepressants. Every single one had at least one unacceptable side effect. Believe me, I would take them if they helped. But, they only seem to make me feel worse.

Last edited by bcruth5; 02-11-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I think they should be treating your pain first, how can they even tell if you are really depressed, or just depressed over the constant pain? once they get that under control, you may want to try again with the anti-D's. or you may not even need it! I hope you can get your pain treated soon. ~Fabby

Closed Thread