It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #1

wfc33 HB User
Lyrica a controlled substance?

This suprised me but that is what they told me at Wal-mart when I went to get my script filled. I had a written script from the dr. but, after waiting about 45 minutes because they were both busy and slow, they told me they had to call the drs. office and check with them before they could fill it. Something about checking my chart or something, I really wasn't listening at that point because there was a long line behind me and I was tired of waiting. My doc had given me some samples, enough for the weekend, so I told them I'd come back to get the filled order.I figured someone here would know and tell me because what the cashier said really didn't make much sense.Even if it is controlled, I had a vaild written script. Any thoughts as to the why of this?

I just started taking it Monday, is it possible I would notice results already (I've been at 100 mgs so far). I just noticed my legs haven't ached in the afternoon between doses of my pain meds. I may just be imagining it but I'll take any relief real or in my head!

Old 02-12-2006, 01:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Re: Lyrica a controlled substance?

I've had very early positive effects from Lyrica before; in fact I find most of the anti seizure drugs I've tried, help out within the 1st day. The side effect of Lyrica that got me off it though was the weight gain, although not everyone gets this.

My next foray into AS drugs is Topamax, fingers crossed that it will help and the 20lbs I've put on whilst using AS drugs will also come off!

Good luck with the Lyrica, to some 100mg a day is a lot to start on. I think I started on 75 a day and was up to 300mg a day within a week with little side effects; I though it a very clean drug in that manner, although coming off it was tough, it rumbled my guts and GI system somewhat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

Jovach51 HB User

I take Lyrica. Just had the dose increase to 300mg a day. I just looked up Lyrica and to my surprise, it is classified as a controlled substance.

"Lyrica will be designated a controlled substance, recommended for classification in the category with lowest potential for abuse or misuse relative to controlled substances in other categories."

It took a few days before I noticed any difference in pain.

Take care

Old 02-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

As the other post indicated, Lyrica is controlled substance. Schedule V. Pretty low on the scale, but still controlled. I was a little surprised as well. If you look at the Prescribing information for Lyrica it states:

Controlled Substance Class: LYRICA is a Schedule V controlled substance.
In a study of recreational users (N=15) of sedative/hypnotic drugs, including alcohol,Lyrica (450mg, single dose) received subjective ratings of "good drug effect," "high" and "liking" to a degree that was similar to diazepam (30mg, single dose). In controlled clinical studies in over 5500 patients, 4 % of Lyrica-treated patients and 1 % of placebo treated patients overall reported euphoria as an adverse event, though in some patient populations studied, this reporting rate was higher and ranged from 1 to 12%. In clinical
studies, following abrupt or rapid discontinuation of pregabalin, some patients reported symptoms including insomnia, nausea, headache or diarrhea (see PRECAUTIONS,
Abrupt Discontinuation), suggestive of physical dependence.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

To the initial poster and all of the subsequent donators of information, THANK YOU FOR SOME PRECISE AND WELL-REPORTED INFORMATION!!

I learned a great deal about the nature of Lyrica, a medication which has been mentioned quite a bit here lately. As well, I will ask my physician about Lyrica versus the Tegretol I am currently using. Maybe this would be helpful. I have Systemic Lupus and the Lupus Anti-Coagulant, which cause me to have infrequent seizures--as long as I'm medicated.

The use of Tegretol addresses both my pain problems and my non-epileptic seizures. Maybe Lyrica could do the same. I AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS! Please though...no comments about my obvious weight challenges!

Sincerely,

Jon (Conductor)

Last edited by conductor; 02-13-2006 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Submitted before completion

Old 02-14-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

one unusual thing that Lyrica caused for me on the 1st few days of taking it was some awful seizures, worse than normal; but they pasted after the 1st 3 days and never came back. Also unpon reflection I can understand why it's been made controlled, I did feel some sort of calming eurphoria on the 1st few dose, like a low dose, but very clean benzo...... But after the 1st day or 2 you don't feel like that, so unless someone was taking it occassionally and satisfied with a little buzz, then it's not much use to any addict, lol...

Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Blasterboy - that is what happened to me. Felt drunk with the first couple of doses - but now it doesn't affect me like that.

Closed Thread