It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User
SWITCHING TO "BRAND" DURAGESIC

I've been using the Sandoz 100 mcg patch with 30 mg Roxi for bt. And the only thing that gives me relief is the Roxi! So, I decided to request the brand name Duragesic for my new script and I will be picking it up Saturday and my next change is due Saturday night.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the Sandoz patch and Duragesic are both mfg by the same company. But isn't there the chance that the Duragesic might have 10% more Fentanyl in it than the generic Sandoz patch? After all, generics can have +/- 10% of the active ingredient according to Dave.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it is all I got for now!

Alan

Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: SWITCHING TO "BRAND" DURAGESIC

All I can say is that I used the Sandoz generic for 12 hours before I took it off (25mcg/hr). Remember, it had made me sick... like really sick?

Well the Dr's that took me back decided I should try the 12mcg/hr patch before I switched medicines (if it made me feel the same way).

The 12mcg/hr patches I got were the brand name Duragesic.... Obviously I can't offer too much advice!

The ironic thing is the 12mcg/hr patches cost me a $40 copay and the 25mcg/hr generic was only $20. For half as strong medicine I pay twice as much!! Oh the irony.

I've actually felt the same exact way on the brand name... I just didn't want to call the Dr. yet. I plan on calling him Monday to tell him how nauseas/dizzy/and how I've been puking!

I hope it helps you! I just thought I'd share a story; it definitely didn't answer your question.

The only thing thats relevant is the fact that I switched and felt the same exact way; so obviously they are both equal enough to do it to me... (lol, sorry i can't be of much help).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User

Thanks anyway. No, I've really had no side effects. My problem is lack of pain relief from them. I've been using them for months and frankly, I've had to reply on my bt meds (30mg Roxicodone) for relief!

Alan

Old 03-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Geez.. that's sad

And the Dr. wants to use solely Duragesic and not switch LA meds?

Old 03-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hey Wolf...I've tried both the Duragesic, and the Sandoz brand, and the Mylan brand. First, the MYlan brand SUCKS!!! I was constantly in w/d. Next, the Sandoz brand is what I'm on. The Sandoz brand is made by the same company that make brand name Duragesic. They just turn around and sell it to Janseen Pharmaceuticals that distribute Duragesic. The patches are exactly the same, with the exception of the Duragesic "stamp" on the patch. They are the same size, with the same coloring on the patch. The come in the same box as the Duragesic with the added Sandoz logo and name on it. The also come with the same prescribing info and patient info word for word, except they substitute the name Duragesic for Fentanyl Transdermal System.

For example, the 25 mcg patch has pink writing on it with both patches, minus the Duragesic "stamp" at the top of the patch. Eveything else is the same. The 50 mcg patch has green writing on it with both patches, minus the stamp. The 75 mcg patch has blue writing on it with both patches, minus the stamp. The 100 mcg patch has gray or silver writing on it with both patches, minus the stamp. Below where the stamp would be, is Fentanyl Transdermal System and then the dosage on both patches. The company that manufactures both patches is Alza corparation. I would still be on brand name Duragesic, but I can't due to insurance purposes. If my only choice was Mylan, then I guess I would have to pay for the Duragesic.

I used both brand name Duragesic and the Sandoz brand and I, personally,cannot tell a difference. Some people say they can, but I think it's purely psychologically. Now with other generics, I can tell a HUGE difference. Anything make by Mallinkroft SUCKS!!! Or, should I say Mallincrap. Stay away from these generics if possible, they are a waste of money and pain relief. They do absolutely nothing for pain relief and make me very ill.

Anyway, with that being said, please let me know how you are doing and if you notice any changes. Also, there is a number you can call on the Duragesic box to order the Johnson & Johnson overlays. They are completely free. They just need some number off the Duragesic box. You should get you shipment within a couple of days. These overlays really STICK!! You should have no problem with them sticking, even while taking a shower. Just be careful when you take them off. Peel them off slowly, or else you will be taking some skin with it.

P.S. As far as the +/- amount of Fentanyl in the brand vs. generic, I don't think there is with these products. They are manufactured and sealed by the same company. You will find that +/- difference in other brands and generics because the generics are produced by a different company. Once these patches are sealed at the manufacturing company, that's it. No one else is going to open them and decrease the fent in it. They would be tampering with a product, which is a nono.

Last edited by friendly_one; 03-18-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Closed Thread