It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

theweaver2 HB User
Question BRAND vs GENERIC Pain Meds

OK... I'm taking a poll here.

I was prescribed Oxycodone 40ER and given a generic, which is OK, except I am getting horrible side effects.

Someone in here suggested I try the Brand as the side effects were less.

When calling my doctor's office to inquire about this, the nurse was like "everyone uses generic." And, when I told her I heard the Brand has less side effects she got real defensive and said "Where did you hear THAT, from another physician's office?" I told her I found a great PM support forum and it was suggested there by people who are actually going through the same things as I am and have tried it...

After calling my Pharmacy I found out the do carry the BRAND... Gee, guess that means not EVERYONE uses generic??? Don't get me started on nurse attitutudes.

My question to all and any feedback you can give on BRAND vs GENERIC in terms of side-effects and how well it works would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: BRAND vs GENERIC Pain Meds

I take generic MS Contin, not sure who the mfg is but it's the little green pill that Shore said was the better of most out there. I have no problems with it.
The thing with generics is that they contain fillers and those fillers can often inhibit the way medications work dispite what the FDA says. I believe it was Shore who said it could be as much as a 15% difference. I'm sure he'll enlighten you.
Now when it comes to vicodin or percocet I prefer brand name because for me, they are actually more effective.
The choice to buy name brand is YOURS not the doctors or the pharmacies but be aware if you are covered by insurance they may charge a much higher co-pay. In my case if I take generic I pay 20%, if I buy Name Brand when generic is available, I pay a minimum of a 50% co pay up to full retail price!
So in essence the only two things that really control if you buy name brand or generic is your insurance companies policy and how much money you are willing to pay. Your doctor does not need to write DAW on a prescription in order for you to get name brand. Not sure about your pharmacy but where I go (CVS as the cheaper ones don't carry my meds) they ask every time "Name Brand or Generic" and when they do that you need to specify Name Brand only and they will be more than happy to comply as they'll be making lots more money off you anyhow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Weaver,

It depends on the medication and the company for the quality of the particular script you are filling. Compaines trying to make OxyContin have had a tough time. Except for Watson which is made by Purdue Pharma (makers of OxyContin). I replied to you other post about this.

The funny thing is, for instance Endo Pharmacueticals are the actual makers of brand name Percocet (OxyCodone and Tylenol). However, people have had problems with the OxyContin they make which of course is just Oxycodone. The whole OxyContin story is long, but basically Purdue had patents on their formula. After a lot of court challenges, etc. other companies were allowed to make it. This all happened within the last year or so. Prior to that you could only get brand OxyContin made by Purdue. Now it seems like everyone is taking stab at it and in the process, adding fillers and other things, causing different reactions in people.

Generally when you get a script, especially if you have insurance, they are going to want you to get the generic. And in most cases for most drugs this is OK. Some companies though, really push the envelope on how far they can be off on the active drug. Mallinkrodt Pharmacueticals has a pretty bad rap for doing this. However, they are a large pharmacuetical company and supply many of the smaller companies with these meds in bulk.

A lot of the Pharmacuetical companies have meds made by another company. So in the case of Watson's OxyContin, this is made by the actual makers of OxyContin. Its kind of a game that is played. There is a lot of money in pharmacueticals. You will find Dr's and Pharmacist trying to push one particular company over another. Its all about the money......Sad but true.

Take Care

Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Ranger,

You have given me sooooooooo much good information and I thank you for being my "mentor".

I have always been proactive about learning my treatment options and will dothe same about drugs.

I don't even WANT to go to how corrupt a game Pharmaceutical Companies play.... About all we can do as consumers is educate ourselves about the alternatives methods available to us and be aware of all the side effects of the drugs we do have to take for our quality of life and, indeed for many, our survival..

How did you learn so much about these drugs?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
(female)

mrsaa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARANGER
Hey Weaver,

It depends on the medication and the company for the quality of the particular script you are filling. Compaines trying to make OxyContin have had a tough time. Except for Watson which is made by Purdue Pharma (makers of OxyContin). I replied to you other post about this.

The funny thing is, for instance Endo Pharmacueticals are the actual makers of brand name Percocet (OxyCodone and Tylenol). However, people have had problems with the OxyContin they make which of course is just Oxycodone. The whole OxyContin story is long, but basically Purdue had patents on their formula. After a lot of court challenges, etc. other companies were allowed to make it. This all happened within the last year or so. Prior to that you could only get brand OxyContin made by Purdue. Now it seems like everyone is taking stab at it and in the process, adding fillers and other things, causing different reactions in people.

Generally when you get a script, especially if you have insurance, they are going to want you to get the generic. And in most cases for most drugs this is OK. Some companies though, really push the envelope on how far they can be off on the active drug. Mallinkrodt Pharmacueticals has a pretty bad rap for doing this. However, they are a large pharmacuetical company and supply many of the smaller companies with these meds in bulk.

A lot of the Pharmacuetical companies have meds made by another company. So in the case of Watson's OxyContin, this is made by the actual makers of OxyContin. Its kind of a game that is played. There is a lot of money in pharmacueticals. You will find Dr's and Pharmacist trying to push one particular company over another. Its all about the money......Sad but true.

Take Care
ARanger,

You are very educated. As we all should be. I was on generic Mallinkrodt oxycodone, that had horrible side effects. I ended up switching to a generic Fentanyl patch that has far less side effects. My percocet rx is generic Mallinkrodt, which I have been taking for nearly a year. My rx is 1 every 6 hours, but after 4 hours, my pain is breaking through. My doctor knows and allows for me to take an extra pill on a tough day, I tell him everything.

I have always used Walgreen's, it's where I signed I'd place my orders on my contract, so I don't know that I can go around asking drug stores which generics they use.) But my doc knows the problems of the generic vs name brand, it's just my insurance. I pay $12 for what's covered (usually generics) and full price for what isn't. I can't afford the price of name brand drugs. Do all of the larger stock pharmacies, Walgreens, CVS, Osco etc use the same companies? How would one find out? I'd much rather be happier on a different generic if it worked for the full 6 hours. I can switch pharmacies as long as I tell my doc, so they can make a note of it.

Any advice?

Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User
Angry Re: BRAND vs GENERIC Pain Meds

Good topic,another example,when perdue first released oxycotin,there perscribing guidlines were 1 every 12 hrs. Peaple on this med know that it doesn't last 12 hrs like the maker[perdue] says,so after patients complaining about this to there doc.There were then giving short acting med. for brakthroughpain to fill in that gap,the funny thing is,perdue makes a good majority of all the breakthrough pain med. So not only are they making money on the oxycotin,there making lots on the breakthrough med.My doc. is aware of the O.C not lasting 12 hrs,so i get it perscribed T.I.D[3 x a day] without breakthrough med. You hititright on the nail-its all about money!

Old 03-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Mrsaa,

Generally OxyCodone will work for 4-6 hours. The longer you have been on it, the shorter the duration. I'm not sure that if you were taking brand name percocet, if it will last for 6 hours for you.

The maker of brand name Percocet is Endo Phamacueticals. Endo also makes a generic Percocet as well. So you are getting the same company but using a "generic." Their generic is called endocet. The funny thing about this is, Endo who makes Percocet, has people reporting that their generic OxyContin makes them sick. So it must be something in the fillers of the Generic OxyContin that does this. But I think if you went with the Endo generic Percocet, you'd be fine. After all, they are the company that makes the brand name.

Unfortuanantely Mallinkrodt is a large pharmacuetical company. They supply a lot of the smaller Pharma companies with bulk drugs. People complain about Mallinkrodt frequently (do a search on here for Methadose and Methadone to see some examples). They seem to really push the envelope on how much of the active drug they have to have in a product. Its usually on the lower end.

As far as asking pharmacies, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I know people that have asked their pharmacist to order a certain generic. Alot of the larger stores are going to stock Mallinkrodt due to the size and the discounts they will receive for ordering in such large quanity. You may want to try with some of the "mom and pop" pharmacies. I would just tell them that you are considering changing your scripts to them but wanted to check what brand of whatever they have.

It sounds like your Dr is already supportive and knows that there is difference in meds. Once you find a pharmacy that stocks or is willing to stock the brand you prefer, just make sure you ask your Dr. You may find that some of the "mom and pop" pharmacies will be willing to work with you and even order a particular brand, especially if you live in a smaller city.

Good luck with your search. Take care.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Whew... I'm getting generic overload here lol... I'm just hoping my doctor wont have a problem with prescribing the brand. Calling pharmacies may be a solution, but... if your PM doc has a problem with you switching pharmacies then what's the point?

The "Mom and Pop" route might be worth a try. But are they going to be able to stock an expensive drug just so one customer can use it?

It's all so overwhelming, especially when you are in so much pain you don't have the energy or wits to figure this stuff out on your own...

Thanks again for leading us in a direction of how we can help ourselves ranger....

Barb

Old 03-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey Barb: I wanted to just jump in here and make a point in this brand/generic topic. Having your doctor prescribe the brand is great, but there's a couple things to remember. Most pharmacies carry the brand name of the particular drug, so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully, money isn't an issue for you, as that is one point you need to remember. If you can get or find a good generic of whatever med you may be taking it can save you a lot of money in most cases. Both if you're paying the whole tab and also if you have insurance with co-pay. I remember one time I was taking Percoset and it was a $5.00 co-pay (for generic). One time my doc inadvertenly signed the script on the line that says "dispense as written", so that's what I got, Percoset. My co-pay was $25.00, instead of the usual $5.00 Another time I was on Oxycontin (I think that's what you're taking) and had been getting monthly scripts filled for about $25.00 co-pay, but went through a period when I was switching from one insurance to another and had to pay cash for one fill. The price was $200.00.

The point being, if you can find a "good" generic it might be worth it to go with it. If you can't find one and money isn't an option to worry about, then go for the brand.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Well,

As for the cost of just getting the Brand no matter what is prescribed, if it jumped from $10 to $25 or even $50 - I wouldn't mind if I felt better. I wouldn't want to pay the full price though.

I just don't know for sure whether her writing DAW would make a difference in cost one way or the other. If it didn't, I wouldn't bother even asking her as she seems to get upset everytime I question something and I really don't like that in her.

Maybe I'll call my prescription carrier tomorrow....

Thanks for your feedback

Closed Thread