It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User
strength of oxy

Hi,

First, I want to thank everyone for all of the information that I have gotten from this board. I could look and look on the internet and not be able to come up with the knowledge that some of you possess here.

My question is this: I have read many times that oxycontin is 10 times stronger than lortab (I believe that is right).

If you are taking 80 mg of oxycontin, how many lortabs approximately does that equal? It is something that I have wondered for a long time. I am not good at breaking down mathematically things of this nature. So if someone, in lay mans terms could explain it, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time and all of the research that you all put into these questions. You guys are awesome.

Take care,

Peace and love, Hangin

Old 03-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
Inactive

wolfmarket HB User
Re: strength of oxy

This is how rumors start that mess up pain control.

Lortab is hydrocodone. OxyContin is time released oxycodone.

Oxycodone is approximatley 1.5 times stronger than hydrocodone, mg for mg.

If you have an 80 mg OxyContin, that is roughly like taking 2 40mg Oxycodone pills back to back. The first 40 mg releases in about 1 hour and about 6 hours later, the second 40 mg is released.

So, a 80 mg OxyContin will give you about 40 mg of oxycodone at a time.

That is equivalent to 60 mg of hydrocodone.

60 divided by the 7.5 hydro in Lortab gives you 8

So at any given time, an 80 mg OxyContin gives you about 8 times the strength of a 7.5 Lortab.

Alan

Deleted...
There is nothing wrong with stating one's beliefs.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-28-2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: State your own opinion without denigrating others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hi Hangin,

I read frequently about the "OxyContin" misconception. Unfortuanantely, thanks to the media and even some Dr's, people sometimes have this "OxyContin the Superdrug" idea. And some of that is true because it is an abused drug. On the streets it is referred to as "Hill Billy" heroin. This is because, OxyContin can have such a large quantity of Oxycodone, that if abused (crushed), then that person would receive all of the dose at one time, potentially fatal.

I understand your question and the confusion that surrounds this drug. Just a couple of things to point out. First, OxyContin is just Oxycodone. It is the same exact drug that is in Percocet, Percodan, Roxicodone, Oxy IR, etc. The difference is, OxyContin is just time released and with no Tylenol. So they are able to put a larger dosage in one pill, i.e. 80mg. This is to be released over 8-12 hours. However if abused, it released all of this at one time. Thats why it has gotten such a bad rap.

Oxycodone is approximately 50% stronger than Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin). And actually Hydrocodone is pretty close to equal Mg to Mg with Morphine. I know that sounds weird because again, society has us believing that Morphine is the strongest drug, when in fact it is rated about the same as Hydrocodone.

The other thing I hear people getting confused about is the "Names" of drugs. I have actually heard people say, "I was on Vicodin but now I'm taking something stronger called Lortab." When in reality, these are the same drugs (Hydrocodone) with different amounts of Tylenol in them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that people respond differently to opiates. So for some, an Oxycodone based drug (Percocet, OxyContin, etc) will work great, but others may find that Hydrocodone works better. Even though Hydrocodone is weaker.

I know these drugs and all the names can be confusing. Added to that mix is the media and misinformed medical advice that confuses it even more.

Anyway, hope I helped clear this up a little. Feel free to post and ask questions about these meds. Its the only way to learn

Hope you have a good day. Take Care

Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hangin HB User

Thanks for the information.

THe only reason I was asking was out of curiousity since in the past I have taken Lortab and am now taking oxy. It was such an innocent question. As to it being a rumor, there was no need to bash me. Sorry it got you so upset Alan, however, you did answer my question, so thanks.

I do appreciate the kindness of your words Aaranger. Thanks.

Peace and love, Hangin

Last edited by hangin; 03-28-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: sp.

Closed Thread