It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

nilla HB User
Lortab and hair test

I am getting a new job and they require a hair test. I am freaking out because I have been taking prescribed Lortab for a real bad back. Since this is considered an opiate, am I doomed? I am heading to my doctor to get a letter, but is that good enough? Has anyone run into this with a future employer? Are they just looking for street drugs? Is this is the case, I am fine, but I am worried about the prescribed Lortab.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User
Re: Lortab and hair test

If its prescribed, youre fine. Ive been thru a pee test for employment and I had morphine and hydrocodone scripts. The testing company called me not the employer and told me I had a postitive morphine. I told her, yes I should and explained about my scripts. She asked when the last fill was and the number for my pharmacy..put me on hold and called pharmacy ..came back and said Im ligit and would report a negative to the employer and for me to have a good day.

So if its something like that , youll be fine !!

deana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
(female)

nilla HB User

Thanks for that answer. I am worrying myself sick over it. It's my dream job and if my bad back prevents me from passing the hair test, I would be so mad. I still think I will bring a doctors note to the laboratory when I go just to be on the safe side. I want to be upfront with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

Hey Nilla,

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are prescribed a medication from your Dr, an employer cannot discriminate because of a medication you take or an illness you have. Unless it interfers with that particular job in a major way. You are protected by the ADA (American Disability Act).

Most of the time employers are looking for recreational drugs like Cocaine, Marijuana, etc. Yes, opiates are checked sometimes, and Morphine will appear as an opiate. But alot of the synthetics (Hydrocodone, Oxycodone) sometimes will not show up on these tests. There is a ton of prescription meds out there. If they were test for every one, you would be pulling off more than one piece of hair.

As long as you have a script, you should be fine. Just bring it or the doctors letter to the lab.

Good luck with the new job. Take Care

Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Arange brought up a good point, Every employment aplication I have seen always asked is there anything that would prevent you from doing this job. So it really depends on what the job is and how you nswered the question. It's not descrimination to pass over a cadidate that requires daily opiates. Regardless of the level of acomadation someone might feel or how they may not notice any amount of imapairment from the medication, the bottom line is these meds are considerd impairing, they can put you at risk in many situations an employer isn't going to be willing to take on the potential liability.

Like others have said, THe last quizz I took for a job I was in he middle of passing a kidney stone and had a bottle of percocet in my pocket when I went to be tested. Nothing was ever said so it was never an issue. I would be just as concerned about lying on an app if you don't tell them about a lifting restriction or any other restriction your doc may place on your ability to work that may pop up down the road.
Good luck, Dave

Old 04-05-2006, 03:31 AM   #6
(female)

nilla HB User

Thanks for all your help. I went to my Dr. yesterday and he wrote me a note. No, my job is not driving or anything like that. I will be in an office all day, so I don't think that's an issue. But I am not going to lie on the app either when I go for my hair test. I will say that I take Lortab because they are going to find it anyway and I will just take the note and my bottle with me and hope for the best. I won't be happy until I am sitting at my new desk!

THanks

Closed Thread