It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

mrsaa HB User
Has anyone heard of/used DMSO?

It's normally a topical treatment for horse injuries. My father, who was a horse trainer back in the day, is also a chronic pain patient. He lives in Canada, and his doctor prescribed him an ointment with DMSO in it. I did an online search here, and it's easy to buy. What scares me is the disclaimer on the sites, saying it's not for medical use.

Has anyone tried it? Has it worked to relieve pain? Is it safe?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of/used DMSO?

If it's not for medical use, why would you even think about it?? I think I would stay clear of that. You don't want to add any harm to your body by using things that aren't prescribed to you, especially something that's probably not even prescribed here in the U.S. It might be prescribed here, I don't know. I wouldn't try it.

Last edited by friendly_one; 04-12-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
(male)

mike j HB User
Wink Re: Has anyone heard of/used DMSO?

mrsaa,
DMSO,MSM (which stands for methylsulfonylmethane)
It has been around since the 1960s,I think you got really more popular when 60 minutes did a story on the University of Oregon using it for its football players.
It is also an industrial solvent cleaner,anything that comes in contact with it will be absorbed through your skin to the bloodstream.there is also a medical grade of it as well. I have talked to my doctors and did some research on my own. The physicians I talk to said it would not hurt you. Please remember some doctors differ on this.

I did get some relief when I used it. It is also available as MSM pill form. I used DMSO,because I did not have any health insurance at the time. I did not have any resources that could get help. I look back and realize how fortunate we are to have the medication such as OxyContin other opiates in time release a form. Please also remember it was very difficult to get any medication unless you were dying. The 70s the doctors were extremely afraid to write out opiates. This would be because of the 1970 controlled drug substance act.I hope this helps you. Sorry to ramble on.

Good luck to you Mike

Old 04-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
(female)

mrsaa HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of/used DMSO?

Thanks for the responses. My father was the one who brought it up, after doing some online research I found it easily available online. I'm currently on opiates and haven't found the right combo yet that works for my pain. It was just a suggestion from him to try, because he uses it to relieve pain. It was strange, the sites would tout how DMSO reduces pain, inflammation, etc, and then state in tiny letters, not for medical purposes. All I was after was some info. I haven't ordered anything, I would always talk to my doc first anyway.

Closed Thread